DIY Electrostats

Roger A. Modjeski

DIY Electrostats
« on: 22 Sep 2012, 04:10 pm »
My compliments to Jazzman and the like who have made their own speakers from scratch. I encourage those interested in doing the same to have a look at his methods which are practical and well explained at his site.  http://jazzman-esl-page.blogspot.com/2010/01/building-stat-panels.html

Here is another pair of speakers in a very nice garage. Here we see a two way speaker with a tweeter in the center. I would go a bit farther and make it a 3 way to get the tweeter down to 1 inch width and the mid at about 3 inches. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-exotics/199519-some-more-questions-els-design-13.html#post3117215

There is quite a bit of electronics in the box at the base. This could be replaced with one direct drive amp. I have worked out a crossover so that one amp can drive several panels over different frequency ranges. By sizing the crossover components the speaker response can be tailored so there is no need for external EQ.

Now taking orders for the stereo direct drive amps for Acoustat to be delivered early 2013 or sooner. In a black metal chassis the price is $4,000. I will also make available a unit in the RM-200 style with wood base at $4,800.  A $1,000 deposit will secure your order. Please write ramtubes@gmail.com if you are interested.

The amps will drive up to 4 panels per side and supply 5 KV polarizing. You can then sell the transformers as you no longer need them. Connection is via three banana jacks directly to the 3 wire panels. Chassis are plain black aluminum, balanced XLR or RCA input. EQ must be provided by the user and I suggest a 30 band analog EQ from Yamaha Q2031B or DBX 1231 as it will do a better job than the EQ that is in the transformer box and allow you to correct for room and personal taste. We have listened to these units and found them to be quite neutral.

The mono amps will drive up to 8 panels per side and sell for $8,000 per pair.

« Last Edit: 22 Sep 2012, 11:28 pm by Roger A. Modjeski »