TBI Millenia MG3 Class BD Integrated Audio Amplifier..A Modern Day Giant Killer!

Freo-1

When the light was on, was it blue or red?

Rclark

Freo-1

Red means that the incoming voltage was too high. The fuse is popped, no question. 

Rclark

looks like that one on the right is blown, right?

The holder for it on the board says it takes a 4A 125 volt fuse. You can see the gold one, it was a 250 volt fuse  :scratch:

Freo-1

Do you have a meter?  If not, I would buy a replacement 4A fast blow 125V from ye old Rat Shack.  The other fuse is for the internal battery.  It should be 125V 2A.  That one looks too big.

Rclark

Yeah, did you see my edit? It looks like the wrong size fuse was in there. Heading to Radio shack for a couple fuses.

Freo-1

OK.  I should have suggested fuses be included in the amp (regular fuses).  I take it you know which fuse is which?
Here is some more information on the amp:
"   The light will only be red if it is operating on internal batteries or for a few seconds if you disconnect the power supply while the power switch is on. If the fuse blows due to overvoltage, the DC voltage on the amplifier side is immediately shorted to ground so no light. "

srb

The holder for it on the board says it takes a 4A 125 volt fuse. You can see the gold one, it was a 250 volt fuse  :scratch:

Yeah, did you see my edit? It looks like the wrong size fuse was in there. Heading to Radio shack for a couple fuses.

The Amp rating (4A) and type (fast blow vs. slow blow) is all that matters.  The voltage rating is only a maximum voltage rating.  The majority of replacement fuses you will find will have a 250V maximum rating.

Steve

Freo-1

The 250V fuses are not the same size.  The amp needs the same form/function replacement. (125V 4A fast, 125V 2A fast).
One other note:
If the main supply fuse blows due to voltage problems, then 8 cheap alkaline batteries will still operate the amplifier unless it has been damaged by other means. The batteries are also fused but this fuse won't blow if the main supply is rendered inoperative due to its fuse. The DC plug must be removed from the amplifier for the internal batteries to work. "

OzarkTom

I have batteries on my Virtue, same identical setup, same charger, I'm familiar with that.

- it was doing this with the AC supply, which is the first one I tried.. light on, no sound, then no light. Tried the other supplies, same thing, now, no light.

But with the Virtue, you can play the amp with the charger hooked up to the battery, but you cannot on the TBI. The 25v that is on that charger blows that fuse in the TBI out every time.

Rclark

Blue Light  :thumb:

Time to get it in the system and boogie.

Freo-1

Blue Light  :thumb:

Time to get it in the system and boogie.

That's more like it.   Let us know how you make out. 

Rclark

So far, very very pleasant sounding. I have it in the living room with my monitors and 10" ported sub, watching tv. I'll move it into my 2 channel system tonight. My initial impressions: precise, deep, holographic. Back in a week.  :)

Rclark

Alright everything's in my room and ready to go. Look forward to swapping the modded Two.2 in and out all week. Right here from the outset though, in terms of build quality and looks, the Two.2 is like the hottest of hottest supermodels, the coolest, sleekest supercar, and the Millennia is like a russian bag lady or Volkswagen Thing. That's just side by side. On its own the Millennia is alright but it's downright ugly as sin next to the Virtue. I never realized how good looking the Virtue amp is until now. Sleek and made by an artist. Minimal, and flushed screws. Fine finish. Chrome. The Millennia has all the visual and tactile appeal of a low end Best Buy internet router, by comparison. The Virtue is also even smaller and more compact, and yet still more powerful. That's alright, because my expectation is the Millenia is supposed to sound better according to Tom. Ultimately that's all that matters. Perhaps I will find in this comparison that all the costs went into the sonics.

Pics to come.

OzarkTom

Alright everything's in my room and ready to go. Look forward to swapping the modded Two.2 in and out all week. Right here from the outset though, in terms of build quality and looks, the Two.2 is like the hottest of hottest supermodels, the coolest, sleekest supercar, and the Millennia is like a russian bag lady or Volkswagen Thing. That's just side by side. On its own the Millennia is alright but it's downright ugly as sin next to the Virtue. I never realized how good looking the Virtue amp is until now. Sleek and made by an artist. Minimal, and flushed screws. Fine finish. Chrome. The Millennia has all the visual and tactile appeal of a low end Best Buy internet router, by comparison. The Virtue is also even smaller and more compact, and yet still more powerful. That's alright, because my expectation is the Millenia is supposed to sound better according to Tom. Ultimately that's all that matters. Perhaps I will find in this comparison that all the costs went into the sonics.

Pics to come.

:scratch:
Since when are we here to compare cosmetics? Like I said in my first post here, if the looks bother you, just hide it behind another big amp like a Krell.

The Ncores that you bought are very plain-jane compared to a used $1500 Krell, Classe, or Rowland amp. I don't see you compaining about that.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel

Pics to come.
Do you listen with your eyes open or closed mostly?

cab

Many people have their audio equipment as the centerpiece in a room and want it to look nice. That is just another part of the gear's performance and what many manufacturers clearly understand. To each his own.

OzarkTom

Many people have their audio equipment as the centerpiece in a room and want it to look nice. That is just another part of the gear's performance and what many manufacturers clearly understand. To each his own.

Get iinnovative, this amp would easily be a candidate for a DIY project for different looks and designs, whether it be wood or metal. I have seen some really cool designs on the Ncore thread.

A friend of mine is currently working on a wood cabinet for me, since I prefer wood anyway.

cujobob

Cosmetics are important to many, but Tom did raise a good point bringing up the Ncore IMO. People will naturally feel that a nicer looking amp will have better build quality and thus will sound better. Others, like myself, may feel that skimping on cosmetics can be a good way to invest more into better sound quality hence why DIY is an interest to a lot of us.

Rclark

The differences in build quality, internally, are even starker. The Virtue also boasts a subwoofer out, the Millenia does not. However, the Millenia would make a nice camping integrated as it takes AA batteries. But the build quality internally is drastically different between the two. I'm starting to wonder how Virtue did it? Very nice. I will do some ab/ing tomorrow.

So far it's been rough having to go from my Maggie's to my monitors, but I'm starting to believe the Millennia has enough juice to pull it off if I bring them back in.