Is there anyone using ROON?

dpatters

Re: Is there anyone using ROON?
« Reply #20 on: 25 Mar 2017, 03:33 pm »
I've got Roon on a Synology NAS, streaming about 2000 CD's and Tidal, I wasn't a first adopter but read the glowing reviews so participated in the trial subscription they offered - I considered the cost to be way too high for just a predominantly music software management program.  6 months later I'm a convert, it integrates my CD collection and Tidal seamlessly but, more importantly, it's resulted in the discovery of new music that I would have missed out on.  Without Tidal integration the value of Roon for me isn't worth the cost, with Roon it's a winner.  I've stopped obsessing about the sonic performance and concentrate on enjoying the music, so can't comment on any actual real or perceived differences.
:thumb: :thumb:

RandyH

« Reply #21 on: 25 Mar 2017, 03:41 pm »
As anxious as I am to get all my CDs onto a server and use Roon to manage them and Tidal....I think what is stopping me in my tracks is the prospect of ripping about 1000 CDs.  It just seems like such a tedious chore.  For this reason, the idea of having a CD ripper built in i.e. Blusound, NAD 50.2 , Sonic Transporter, all look appealing.  Even though I will still have to rip them one at a time it just seems easier to insert it in a drive and have it done automatically.  Anyone rip their  CDs on a device like this as opposed to a computer?  Opinions?....sorry if I have deviated too far from the original subject.  Please indulge me.....I have so many questions.

artur9

« Reply #22 on: 25 Mar 2017, 03:49 pm »
So Roon is a high end music player, that lives on your server/streamer, instead of a computer?

IIRC, there are a couple different ways to set up Roon. 

One can run the whole thing on a computer: interface, library.  I think the library part is called Roon Core.

One can run the interface on one computer but the library part on another computer.  In this situation,  there's one library and each computer can access and play from it as independent playback devices.

Or one can have the library on a computer and the play back on a different device (RoonPlayer) and control on another device.  There are a bunch of RoonPlayer certified devices now.  For control one may use a computer or a touchpad of some sort.  The touchpad has to be a more powerful touchpad.  None of my iPads are powerful enough, for example.

artur9

« Reply #23 on: 25 Mar 2017, 03:53 pm »
I think what is stopping me in my tracks is the prospect of ripping about 1000 CDs. 

The hard part of ripping is managing the created files so that one can navigate/find the music one wants to play when one wants to play it.

If all you need is to rip it and then find the "CD" to play it that's relatively straightforward.  If you have classical music with multiple tracks and CDs comprising one work then that get's quite a bit harder.

Finally, if you're interested in things like "play the song where so-n-so is the bass guitarist" then it gets really really hard.

Roon is a very good solution for the "rip it and done" crowd.

dpatters

« Reply #24 on: 25 Mar 2017, 04:03 pm »
As anxious as I am to get all my CDs onto a server and use Roon to manage them and Tidal....I think what is stopping me in my tracks is the prospect of ripping about 1000 CDs.  It just seems like such a tedious chore.  For this reason, the idea of having a CD ripper built in i.e. Blusound, NAD 50.2 , Sonic Transporter, all look appealing.  Even though I will still have to rip them one at a time it just seems easier to insert it in a drive and have it done automatically.  Anyone rip their  CDs on a device like this as opposed to a computer?  Opinions?....sorry if I have deviated too far from the original subject.  Please indulge me.....I have so many questions.
I used dBpoweramp to rip my collection. It did a good job with all of the metadata and was really easy to use.  I ripped all of my collection using my notebook computer.  I took my time but ended up getting through it sooner than I thought. Short term pain long term gain as they say. The benefits in the end are definitely worth the time investment.

I would agree with previous observations concerning classical music.  That's a different ballgame.

Don P.

eric1

« Reply #25 on: 25 Mar 2017, 05:30 pm »
I do the same thing, DB PowerAmp. Most non PC rippers (such as Bluesound, or the 50.2), rip in real time (1:1). The PC rippers such as DB PowerAmp rip MUCH faster. Both of these solutions can produce excellent results.

I used dBpoweramp to rip my collection. It did a good job with all of the metadata and was really easy to use.  I ripped all of my collection using my notebook computer.  I took my time but ended up getting through it sooner than I thought. Short term pain long term gain as they say. The benefits in the end are definitely worth the time investment.

I would agree with previous observations concerning classical music.  That's a different ballgame.

Don P.

Philistine

« Reply #26 on: 25 Mar 2017, 06:10 pm »
I ripped my CD's over a 3 week period using 2 PC's, ripping 1000 CD's is going to take maybe 400-500 on one PC?
Why not forget ripping and just stream Tidal if all your music is available?  Less time and hassle....

lokie

« Reply #27 on: 25 Mar 2017, 06:18 pm »
I've got Roon on a Synology NAS, streaming about 2000 CD's and Tidal, I wasn't a first adopter but read the glowing reviews so participated in the trial subscription they offered - I considered the cost to be way too high for just a predominantly music software management program.  6 months later I'm a convert, it integrates my CD collection and Tidal seamlessly but, more importantly, it's resulted in the discovery of new music that I would have missed out on.  Without Tidal integration the value of Roon for me isn't worth the cost, with Roon it's a winner.  I've stopped obsessing about the sonic performance and concentrate on enjoying the music, so can't comment on any actual real or perceived differences.

OK... that's what I want to hear. I also have a Synology NAS w an existing large library with impeccable meta data.
Also,  tired of chasing ghosts w regards to sound quality. I think it will be fine. My impression is that it will continue to improve- which is good enough for me.

So... Do you have a computer on your network that manages Roon. That you rip with and put in meta data etc...? Then DL the files into the NAS. And then the NAS feeds whatever renderer you have on the Network?

A little confused when people saty they use Itunes in conjunction.

Be aware that its metadata does not really cover everything

Not sure that means. Maybe nothing as I put in all my meta data as I rip a CD. I have 1000's of bootleg live shows (Grateful Dead etc..) that has hit or miss meta data until I put in myself.

I run a 2015 Mac Mini w/ Sierra. It can be demanding depending on the size of your library.
Doesn't the heavy liftiong with the Roon that sits on the NAS and play music files from  the NAS? A computer is just managing the meta data and sending to the APP on your tablet/phone?

I have no use for the Roon meta data overlays, which is a big selling point, as I am a serious, in need of help
music geek.
Then what do you use it for?

I don't use Roon meta data. I have it use the file meta data exclusively.
No idea what this means. Is it English?

Foobar which makes drilling down to my preferred tracks so much easier.
Easier than Roon? I thoguht that was Roons strength?

I use the Salk StreamPlayer Gen III which is attached via ethernet
Isn't that redundant? What does Salk do that Roon doesn't? Or is this streaming internet radio station inside of Roon?

mikeeastman

« Reply #28 on: 25 Mar 2017, 09:28 pm »
I had to rip over 3000 cds, I picked up a cd duplicator that will take 100 cd at a time, still took awhile but at least you could set it up and walk away.

dpatters

« Reply #29 on: 26 Mar 2017, 09:42 am »

" I use the Salk StreamPlayer Gen III which is attached via ethernet"

Isn't that redundant? What does Salk do that Roon doesn't? Or is this streaming internet radio station inside of Roon?

The Salk Streamplayer is hardware (basically it is a pc running linux core)
Roon is software.

Don P.