MR getting a bad rep?

6BQ5

MR getting a bad rep?
« on: 15 Nov 2009, 05:36 am »
Another set of posts by people who had negative experiences dealing with Roger.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1246156431&openflup&1&4#1

Not to mention some of the posts here of people feeling at times "neglected". This kind of PR is not good.

Is MR simply a one-person company? It boggles my mind in this day and age where people are bending over backwards to find (and keep) customers, that the level of service is so variable. Certainly, does not help in the resale value of MR gear or project a positive image. Being difficult to reach and deal with, I'm sure, is not what people would expect for a multi-thousand $ hi-fi gear investment.

I'm sure some people will chime in and defend MR, that their personal experiences have been all good. But it seems that simply answering the phone or responding to emails is a stretch for MR. I would hope Roger can explain what is actually going on. He has only made a few brief appearances here all year. Simply mystifying to me to alienate customers as an ongoing business concern.

chadh

Re: MR getting a bad rep?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2009, 11:17 pm »

Why are you stirring this into something bigger than it is?  The majority of the posts on that thread you linked to suggested that the customer service from Roger was excellent!

Regardless of the relative quality of the MR customer service, I just don't see why any business person needs to "explain" the choices he makes in the tricky question of time allocation.  The reality is, you cannot please all of the people all of the time.  Additional hours spent answering every little inquiry on the phone or answering all emails means fewer hours designing circuits and producing gear.  I'm sure Roger could cut some corners, but then the equipment won't be of the same high standard that we've come to expect.

I completely appreciate that some people would prefer to buy a McIntosh amp over Music Reference simply for the peace of mind with respect to after-sales service.  But you don't get to speak to the designer when you call McIntosh, nor can you easily order all sorts of customizations.  For every person who turns his back on MR as a result of the difficulties with reaching Roger, there are many who have had experiences like mine - where calling Roger has resulted in long, helpful and informative conversations.  You know, Roger even volunteered to design and produce a piece of gear specific to my needs at one stage.  Let's see you get that from McIntosh!

Chad

6BQ5

Re: MR getting a bad rep?
« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2009, 02:34 am »

Why are you stirring this into something bigger than it is? 

"Bigger than ...?"  Big or small, that is entirely relative, isn't it? "It is, what it is" as Robert De Niro would say.

I do ask the question because it seems to come up again and again over time. Perhaps there is a valid reason for the persistence of these comments? I'd like to know. Clear the air. Get things out in the open. That's all. Notice ... I am asking a question not making a statement. But where there is smoke ... that kind of thing... I scratch my head when I hear such stuff.

You know, this thread will die quietly if I am the village idiot or rubbing salt into things I should not. Fine by me. I'm more than happy to learn otherwise.

But ... service is service, and to suggest customer queries via phone or email are trivial and a waste of RM's time ... baloney ... that tells me you surely cannot see both sides of the issue. Plus, you are speaking entirely based on YOUR priorities. Other (perhaps most) may not think otherwise, so its insulting to other people's intelligence to trivialize their poor service experiences in such a manner.

BTW, don't get me started on McIntosh. You can talk to several former McIntosh alumni at Audio Classics (including Richard Modafierri and Frank Gow), email Roger Russell or exchange emails with Ron Cornelius on the AudioKarma forums anytime. Certainly McIntosh attempts to be accessible. Would they design a custom amp for me? No. Irrelevant example in my opinion. But Audio Classics for example will upgrade Mc gear to better than original. Mc service responds to emails and calls within 24 hours. Is this too high of a standard for MR?

Hey ... If everyone is happy with MR's service, then I am happy too, and am ready to move on. Music Reference: great products, great service. That's what I would like to hear.

« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2009, 04:39 pm by 6BQ5 »