Must Read for Audiophiles

Mag

Must Read for Audiophiles
« on: 27 Apr 2018, 06:32 am »
Found this blog yesterday thought it was hilarious.

Esquire: Audiophiles, are they hearing something we're not?
Link:
http://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/news/a8618/are-the-audiophiles-hearing-something-were-not/

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Must Read for Audiophiles
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2018, 07:23 am »
Interesting reading, the only speaker that my second wife liked was a Carver Amazing that continue stored in my bedroom ((, though she had a exacerbated pleasure by luxury travels, at least audio equipment do not become dust after the end of the trip.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2018, 10:42 am »
Good read.  The author nails much of what being an audiophile is all about.

Photon46

« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2018, 12:54 pm »
That was a well written look at the audiophile world. It was a well balanced humorous summary of the obsessions, costs, and rewards involved in the pursuit of the best sound we can achieve. One of the rather rare reads about audiophilia written by an industry outsider that wasn't condescending.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 27 Apr 2018, 03:56 pm »
Sometimes, says James from HiFi Wigwam, being an audiophile feels less like a hobby than having a weird illness, like obsessive-compulsive disorder or something: you know what you're doing is a bit daft, but you can't stop yourself.

I definitely identified with this statement from the article.

Jonathan

« Reply #5 on: 27 Apr 2018, 04:24 pm »
Very nicely written article. My favorite line was:

"It's the audiophile's biggest fear, isn't it?" grins James, the immensely affable founder of HiFi Wigwam, an online forum that begat the show. "They die and then their wives sell their hi-fi equipment for what they told them it cost."

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 28 Apr 2018, 01:16 am »
Very nicely written article. My favorite line was:
[quote link=topic=157227.msg1682910#msg1682910 date=1524846282]
"It's the audiophile's biggest fear, isn't it?" grins James, the immensely affable founder of HiFi Wigwam, an online forum that begat the show. "They die and then their wives sell their hi-fi equipment for what they told them it cost."[/quote]
That statement was to raze, a nightmare.

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 29 Apr 2018, 01:26 pm »
Thanks for sharing

dB Cooper

« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr 2018, 01:27 pm »
Interesting read. Catches the 'vibe' of both the noble and neurotic sides of the hobby. Amazing how much more I enjoy music after giving up the grasping for perfection. Is there better stuff than what I've got? Sure, but that doesn't always mean that that system is enjoyed more by its owner. It's always something, and the industry needs one of two things to survive: 1) A growing customer base, which it doesn't have; or 2) Its existing customers to regularly to become vaguely dissatisfied with one or another aspect of their system and treat a bout of 'upgraditis' with 'retail therapy'.

It came up in another thread, but FWIW, here is my definition of an audiophile: A person who is interested in the science and art of recording and reproducing music.

mav52

« Reply #9 on: 29 Apr 2018, 01:49 pm »
Loved the article 

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #10 on: 30 Apr 2018, 01:21 pm »
Interesting reading, the only speaker that my second wife liked was a Carver Amazing that continue stored in my bedroom ((, though she had a exacerbated pleasure by luxury travels, at least audio equipment do not become dust after the end of the trip.

Thanks for the laugh. I love this comment. It's perfect, but my wife probably sees your wife's point of view more clearly. So, I laughed, but the truth is that my wife has been incredibly tolerant of my craziness over the years.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 30 Apr 2018, 02:15 pm »
Well done article, the author "got it" when he listened to the systems at the show and at the homes of some of the attendees.  I had one of these moments a year or so ago.  Like all audiophiles we're used to showing off our systems to non-audiophiles and people sitting for one or two songs then saying wow that sounds great and moving on.  A friend came over expressly to hear the system and sat in the listening chair for hours playing favorites, asking about the components, the differences between vinyl and digital, room treatments.  He left saying, man, I've got to get me a stereo room.  This author seemed like a person with a similar reaction.

charmerci

« Reply #12 on: 30 Apr 2018, 06:02 pm »
"If your article is to have any journalistic validity at all," he says, thumping the table for emphasis, "it's important to impress upon people that if you run around listening to music on one of these" – he stabs at my iPhone – "with headphones the size of a pea, the price for that is very considerable in terms of your musical enjoyment and understanding. And then, if you think about music developing over the next 100 years in order to satisfy the requirements of things like this" – another disgusted look at the iPhone – "then we're going to end up with music that's absolutely inane and useless."

We've already been there for decades. :sad:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 30 Apr 2018, 08:57 pm »
Thanks for the laugh. I love this comment. It's perfect, but my wife probably sees your wife's point of view more clearly. So, I laughed, but the truth is that my wife has been incredibly tolerant of my craziness over the years.
Thanks. My wife also was tolerent since the money was mine.

dB Cooper

« Reply #14 on: 30 Apr 2018, 10:02 pm »
"If your article is to have any journalistic validity at all," he says, thumping the table for emphasis, "it's important to impress upon people that if you run around listening to music on one of these" – he stabs at my iPhone – "with headphones the size of a pea, the price for that is very considerable in terms of your musical enjoyment and understanding. And then, if you think about music developing over the next 100 years in order to satisfy the requirements of things like this" – another disgusted look at the iPhone – "then we're going to end up with music that's absolutely inane and useless."

We've already been there for decades. :sad:

BTW, the sound of a good lossless recording, played through a Dragonfly or comparable, through, say, my SE535's, sounds better than anything I was getting out of my system 2-30 years ago (imaging excepted).

He's right though (and so are you); 98% of todays popular music is unlistenable crap, the musical equivalent of Wonder Bread. It'll only sound worse the better the system you put it on. But a properly-fed mobile system with quality pieces would surprise probably even him.

charmerci

« Reply #15 on: 30 Apr 2018, 10:21 pm »
BTW, the sound of a good lossless recording, played through a Dragonfly or comparable, through, say, my SE535's, sounds better than anything I was getting out of my system 2-30 years ago (imaging excepted).

He's right though (and so are you); 98% of todays popular music is unlistenable crap, the musical equivalent of Wonder Bread. It'll only sound worse the better the system you put it on. But a properly-fed mobile system with quality pieces would surprise probably even him.

However, with computer power going through the roof and storage capacity shrinking through the basement floor(???) it shouldn't be took long before lossless hi-rez music will be dirt-cheap and accessible to everyone. I'm long-term optimistic.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #16 on: 2 May 2018, 05:13 pm »

He's right though (and so are you); 98% of todays all popular music throughout history is unlistenable crap, the musical equivalent of Wonder Bread. It'll only sound worse the better the system you put it on. But a properly-fed mobile system with quality pieces would surprise probably even him.

Fixed that for you!   :thumb:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon%27s_law