What to do when the phone rings?

Doublej

Re: What to do when the phone rings?
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jan 2018, 01:11 am »
Ummm... ditch the Apple and get a phone that easily does both at the same time?

I believed one option is called an iPhone  :lol: I think the current OP phone might be suffering from and ID-10-T error...we've all been there.

Or you can use one of these with an Apple remote? https://twistedmelon.com/mira/hardware.html

macdane

« Reply #21 on: 19 Jan 2018, 06:55 am »
I believed one option is called an iPhone  :lol: I think the current OP phone might be suffering from and ID-10-T error...we've all been there.

Problem is solved, but I'm having trouble deciphering whether you're implying a problem with my phone or with the way I'm using it. I've now confirmed on multiple iPhones (SE, 6s and 7+) that an incoming call is essentially a modal dialog ... you cannot interact with another app or interface on the iPhone until you've either answered or dismissed the call.

Is your experience different?

brj

« Reply #22 on: 20 Jan 2018, 06:56 am »
Actually, now that I see you're using iTunes (for the moment), I believe that the "Continuity" feature of iOS/Mac OS should automatically pause the music on the Mac when your phone rings, and then keep it paused as long as you're on the call, but this only works if you're using iTunes as the music server on the Mac, and you have Handoff / Continuity compatible hardware.  (Which is most hardware having Bluetooth Low Energy chips, though note that you also need to have Bluetooth enabled on both your iPhone and Mac.)

I've looked at the Mira IR receivers in the past, and while I haven't needed to order one, they were very responsive to my questions.  Worth considering if you want to re-investigate the IR remote route.

Doublej

« Reply #23 on: 20 Jan 2018, 02:13 pm »
Problem is solved, but I'm having trouble deciphering whether you're implying a problem with my phone or with the way I'm using it. I've now confirmed on multiple iPhones (SE, 6s and 7+) that an incoming call is essentially a modal dialog ... you cannot interact with another app or interface on the iPhone until you've either answered or dismissed the call.

Is your experience different?
[/quote

macdane: ID-10-T issue is on my end. In the past I thought I had done exactly what you were asking to do but I could not replicate the desired functionality in the current version of ios.

I am not a Apple ecosystem guy but brj's response makes me want to move to Apple stuff. They really do a great job with the user experience of their products.

macdane

« Reply #24 on: 20 Jan 2018, 02:53 pm »
Actually, now that I see you're using iTunes (for the moment), I believe that the "Continuity" feature of iOS/Mac OS should automatically pause the music on the Mac when your phone rings, and then keep it paused as long as you're on the call, but this only works if you're using iTunes as the music server on the Mac, and you have Handoff / Continuity compatible hardware.

Dang. I think you're absolutely right ... and this would make the whole situation as no-brainer as it should be. I think what went wrong is that this is my wife's old MBA (she just upgraded so I quickly claimed the old one!) and it's probably still tied to her Apple ID rather than mine. Good thinking!

macdane

« Reply #25 on: 20 Jan 2018, 02:59 pm »
macdane: ID-10-T issue is on my end. In the past I thought I had done exactly what you were asking to do but I could not replicate the desired functionality in the current version of ios.

Got it. I'm in the same boat ... thought for sure I used to be able to do this but now can't. The "continuity" answer from brj above strikes me as a better solution from Apple, but I haven't tied my wife's old MBA to my Apple ID yet. DOH!

I am not a Apple ecosystem guy but brj's response makes me want to move to Apple stuff. They really do a great job with the user experience of their products.

Honestly, other than that one thing (caused by my oversight, not Apple's) this is a pretty slick way to play music. Sounds great as long as the source material is worthy, and the interface using the free Remote app on my iPhone is fantastic. It even gives me remote volume control — which my current preamp doesn't have — as long as there's not a call coming in  :wink:

Dane