Poll

Times and comments

I would like to attend a 5-10 week evening class between 6-9pm
3 (8.3%)
I would like to attend a 5-10 week evening class between 7-10pm
4 (11.1%)
I would like to attend a Saturday seminar (9-noon, lunch hour, 1-4pm)
8 (22.2%)
I would like to attend a weekend seminar (hours as above)
5 (13.9%)
I am interested in learning about audio, not building it
4 (11.1%)
I am interested in building class designs
8 (22.2%)
I am interested in being coached on my own designs
4 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 15

School in Berkeley opening in this Fall

Roger A. Modjeski

School in Berkeley opening in this Fall
« on: 5 Aug 2014, 02:14 pm »
I have posted this poll to get a feel for when and what to schedule for the school. Additional comments are welcome. You can vote for multiple items.

Long term classes (5 to 10 sessions) will be modeled after similar educational programs in the Bay Area. Those meet one evening a week typically from 6-9 or 7-10 pm. I would like to get a feel for the preference on time. Weekend classes go from 9 to noon, break for lunch, and then 1 to 4pm. Weekends would be for building classes, design classes and seminars.

Class size is 6-8 for the long term classes.  For the monthly meetings we could manage up to 25 people.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: School in Berkeley opening in this Fall
« Reply #1 on: 5 Aug 2014, 02:16 pm »
Sure wish you were closer.   :(

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #2 on: 5 Aug 2014, 02:26 pm »
Sure wish you were closer.   :(

I hope to attract people who visit the Bay Area for business or pleasure. Plan a family vacation. You get to do what you love while they get to enjoy the city. San Francisco has a lot to see and do. The school is close to public transportation (BART) so everyone can see what they want. Staying on the East Bay is less expensive and the city is easy to get to.

When we look at the time and money invested in our hobby, this could be less than the cost of some cables and far more enjoyable. You could learn how too make your own cables.

terryh

« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2014, 06:44 pm »
Greetings,
I'm sorry to be so dense---- but, how do I get to the poll?  I can see the questions if I'm not logged in but they do not appear if I'm logged in.  I would like to put in a vote for an Internet based class.
Terry

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2014, 04:44 pm »
Greetings,
I'm sorry to be so dense---- but, how do I get to the poll?  I can see the questions if I'm not logged in but they do not appear if I'm logged in.  I would like to put in a vote for an Internet based class.
Terry

HI Terry,

I don't know what the problem is. Perhaps another member can help. Since I put up the poll I don't see it the way you do. If you still have trouble just let us know your thoughts in a reply.

terryh

« Reply #5 on: 22 Aug 2014, 05:58 pm »
Hi Roger,
I don't know what changed but everything is A-OK now.  The poll is at the top of the page with active vote boxes.  Thanks!
Terry

terryh

« Reply #6 on: 22 Aug 2014, 06:04 pm »
Hello again,

I just noticed that this poll is slightly different that one I saw posted with another topic.  That one included a vote for an Internet based class.  I am up in Oregon and can't attend a live seminar but I'd definitely pay for and attend a web based class.
Terry

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #7 on: 23 Aug 2014, 12:01 am »
I plan to have both on location and internet classes later this year. We have to get settled in first, this is a rather big move.

terryh

« Reply #8 on: 23 Aug 2014, 02:39 am »
Sounds great-- I'll watch for it.

soundofrockets

« Reply #9 on: 23 Aug 2014, 05:19 am »
Interested.  Waiting for more specific information.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #10 on: 23 Aug 2014, 11:13 am »
+1 on the Internet version.

who?me?

« Reply #11 on: 23 Aug 2014, 09:35 pm »
Classes sound great! Don't forget to inform the SFAS (SF Audiophile Society) website,
there will be supporters and interested parties there!

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #12 on: 25 Aug 2014, 02:15 pm »
Classes sound great! Don't forget to inform the SFAS (SF Audiophile Society) website,
there will be supporters and interested parties there!

Yes I am in touch with the society. Thanks.

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #13 on: 29 Aug 2014, 03:09 pm »
Ben and I have been packing boxes all week. Today we load a 22 ft truck to take equipment, benches, tools, parts and some fun stuff to the school. We hope to have an openhouse next weekend Sept 6-7. Look here for details.

Anyone in the area interested in helping with the unpacking and set-up can contact me here by private message.

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #14 on: 4 Sep 2014, 03:58 pm »
I am happy to say that we made the trip to Berkeley without any problem though it was a lot of work. We had some welcome help setting up from members and friends of the Bay Area Audio Society (BASS). I have already met and heard some great systems here. I have encountered more interest in our hobby here in 3 days than the lasts 30 years on Santa Barbara. I also have encountered people who do real experiments and have interest in either building their own equipment or making real scientific improvements in their systems.

One member I visited had assembled an inexpensive great sounding system and was able to produce a graph of the response of the system in his room. For $300 he had bought a measurement system and equalized his room to a pretty flat response. He and another member were using phono preamps, line amps and power amps they had built from the Randall Museum classes. One had an expensive phono preamp that was noisier than the one he had built for a fraction of the cost. He wondered why, I said: I know that designer, he used the wrong tube.

soundofrockets

« Reply #15 on: 8 Sep 2014, 08:42 am »
Any further updates?

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #16 on: 8 Sep 2014, 04:51 pm »
I will be speaking to the BAAS on the 20th. Sign up now. I hear it will fill quickly

Mortsnets

soundofrockets

« Reply #18 on: 8 Sep 2014, 09:51 pm »
Where is the sign up info?