The future of hi/end audio & a rant on honesty in reviewing (tuning fuses)

Roger A. Modjeski

Hello Roger: PFO has a column Titled "Our Readers Respond… and We Respond Right Back!"  ( http://positive-feedback.com/Issue75/letters.htm )
There are 2 links to the editors. 

To clio09 & anyone else on this forum who agrees that tuning fuses as they are being presented might in fact be a scam; I urge you to do as I have already done
& Roger is preparing to do; that is to send a letter of protest to PFO. Here is what I sent PFO earlier today. It was a response to another letter sent by a PFO reader.

To the editors:

I agree with Mr. Fant, the review was done well, from a subjective point of view. My quarrel

with this review is that no reference is made to the electrical specifications of these fuses in

the reviews. I know of one manufacturer who will void your warranty if you use them in his products.

A fuse first & foremost is a safety device.  Don’t you think it’s your responsibility to make sure a product

does what it’s supposed to do do electrically, & should that not be part of the review? I know that fuses

that are normally used in audio equipment must be designed properly and used in a proper manner. If you

wrap a tube in tinfoil & blow up your amp you void the warranty. If you use the wrong fuse in your amp

and it chernobyl’s , Putin will be looking for you. There may be legal ramifications as well. Use your imagination for a

worst case scenario. (a fire)  How will you feel if you knowingly publish a review that leads to someone using the product

and then getting hurt. How could this happen? Well how many of us have ducked out for 20 minutes to get a loaf of

bread leaving the system to warm up? ( let alone forgetting to turn it off )

Remember you are a well respected magazine.

………………………………… Fred Petersen  (fastfred )

Is this in response to J.A. Fant, Esq?

Let us know when you get a response. I only see a few letters here, where do we find more?

I like the way Stereophile does it by putting the letters and responses with the review making it easy to follow the topic.

fastfred

• Fred Petersen
    • audiofyle.com
Is this in response to J.A. Fant, Esq?

Let us know when you get a response. I only see a few letters here, where do we find more?

I like the way Stereophile does it by putting the letters and responses with the review making it easy to follow the topic.

Hello Roger: Yes the letter was in response to J.A. Fant Esq. The number of letters you see there can sometimes be as few as one.

They take a long time to respond. Sometime up to 2 weeks in my experience. The last e-mail in the letters column The Higher End....

( about the expectation of privacy ) never is removed. If there are no letters from the readership that letter is always on that page.

It's tone may explain the low number of letters there as well. 

........................... fastfred

p.s. Twice in the past I've sent letters to the editor & have not been published, they do however respond to the letter with a reason if

they don't publish your letter.

apollophono

fastfred, I read StereoMojo (it hasn't updated for quite a while now), PF, 10audio on a
somewhat regular basis.  StereoMojo being the most regular as it is easy to read and
most entertaining.  I usually follow the Cheap Bastard stuff.  I can't afford anything
beyond cheap bastard territory, although I've tried a few times and gotten into
financial trouble.   :duh: 

Here's a thought.  Maybe someone on AC would like to be a reviewer.  There are many
technically qualified members and I tend to believe someone on this site compared
to current reviewers.  Anybody up to the challenge.  Hmmm.  Forgot Vedder? comes
to mind.  Anybody else up to the challenge?  I'm not an engineer and don't even play
one on TV.   :lol:

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
2 ,000 ,000 volts
even 10 ,000 volts will destroy the fuse
but you know why they are saying to sell
no equipment have 2,000,000 volts inside,more of 600 volts max(with tubes ss would be 240 volts)

srb

2 ,000 ,000 volts
even 10 ,000 volts will destroy the fuse

Probably not, if there is negligible current involved.  That's why you can safely touch the 100,000V globe of a Van de Graaff generator in science class to make your hair stand on end.

Steve

Guy 13

Probably not, if there is negligible current involved.  That's why you can safely touch the 100,000V globe of a Van de Graaff generator in science class to make your hair stand on end.

Steve

Hi Steve,
on the other hand a 2V X 100,000 amps can kill you.
That's what I have been told by Alcan Canada where they process aluminum.
Does that make sense to you?

Guy 13

Sorry, a little off topic, but maybe informative.

srb

on the other hand a 2V X 100,000 amps can kill you.
That's what I have been told by Alcan Canada where they process aluminum.
Does that make sense to you?

It's the amount of current that can be life threatening or fatal.  It also depends on the path that current travels through the body.  If the current has a path through the heart, such as completing a circuit with both hands, as little as 10mA can be fatal.  The same 10mA completing a circuit through two fingers of the same hand would not likely be fatal.

On the subject of the 2 million volts used as a process to improve electrical fuses, I don't doubt that some kind of stun gun circuitry might be able to produce that voltage, but the lack of both appreciable current and time duration would make me doubt that anything meaningful is taking place, i.e. "quantum tunneling".

Steve

Roger A. Modjeski

When you apply a voltage to something there must be a reference. As I often said to a friend learning electronics, "so where are you gonna put the other probe?"

Two million volts! Referenced to what? How is it applied to the fuse? Certainly not across it. Do they just touch the fuse to a Van de Graaffe using a plastic rod. How does that do anything. I doubt they know what Quantum Tunneling is, but it will sound good to some fool. I looked it up, doesn't seem to apply to fuses or how they might sound.

I pointed it out because it is so absolutely ridiculous.  However, the average person knows less about electricity now than 50 years ago. I presume that is their targeted customer.

Clio09

I pointed it out because it is so absolutely ridiculous. However, the average person knows less about electricity now than 50 years ago. I presume that is their targeted customer.

There are many of these customers to target as well.

Perhaps you should contact Ted Denney who runs Synergistic Research and ask him the tough questions directly. It would be interesting to hear what he says. If you Google him you will find some interviews with him from Stereophile that might shed some light on who you are dealing with.

fastfred

• Fred Petersen
    • audiofyle.com
"2,000,000 volts, do they think all audiophiles are ignorant and stupid ?"

Perhaps the terms ignorant and stupid are a bit strong. More like gullible. After all, as
I wrote in another post on another thread here, audiophiles prefer to think of their
hobby as more art than science. In fact I would go so far as to say all art and no science.
Art is subjective and easier to understand than science, and it creates more excitement.
To the growing majority of audiophiles science is dull. Proof is easily found in many of
the threads on Audiogon. Which by the way has played a huge part in fueling the
growth in the number of manufacturers, specifically the wire and fuse guys, that
design and more importantly market their products first and foremost to the artsy audiophiles
preferences as opposed to designing them to be safe and reliable.
Just look at the nomenclature and vocabulary used in the hobby these days. “Reviewers are part of the
problem too as they feed the well audiophiles drink from.”

What we need to realize is that many manufacturers today are doing the simple thing from a business
perspective. They are following the money. From the manufacturers perspective why spend time and energy
educating the audiophile who is more than happy to throw money at products such as boutique fuses that use fancy
marketing terms to describe their benefits. It's all about marketing which is easier for the "new breed" of audiophile
to digest than science will ever be. Am I being a bit jaded here? I suppose so but then again I can look in the mirror and
with some embarrassment say that I have fallen prey to such marketing tactics. That is until I met someone who has spent t
ime educating me otherwise. Lucky for me my 401k is still fully intact. Like my mentor, we are lucky to have people like Roger
who is willing to invest time and resources to educate. If only more people would listen and learn.

I too have been a victim of the rhetoric, that's the main reason I started down this path. I hope/hoped to save someone else the
drain on their pocketbook. I totally agree we are very lucky to have people like Roger & my friend & mentor up here in the GWN.

For the record I put it to you that “reviewers are the problem”.  That’s the reason I started this topic as well as other topics dealing
with questionable accessories & mods.

There are many of these customers to target as well.

Perhaps you should contact Ted Denney who runs Synergistic Research and ask him the
tough questions directly. It would be interesting to hear what he says. If you Google him
you will find some interviews with him from Stereophile that might shed some light on who
you are dealing with.

As you stated in your earlier post  “Reviewers are part of the problem too as they feed the well audiophiles drink from”.
His marketing strategy is btwbs (baffle them with B.S.). However I will lookup some of those interviews.
For the record I put it to you that “reviewers are the problem”.  That’s the reason I started this topic as well
as other topics dealing with questionable accessories & mods.

I don’t think that contacting Mr. Denney would help, he will do what it takes to sell a product. That’s the nature
of the beast. Based on the PFO review, his rhetoric sounds like speaker cable claims made back in the 1980’s.
This time it’s a fuse.  The price of an amplifier can be anywhere from $1500 or less to as high as $100,000. PfO has
a speaker cable review in this month’s issue where the cost of the cables is $20,000. When you look at, that price, these
Synergistic Research products $89 to $99 seem to be a bargain. They need to be able to act as a fuse first, if the process
of making a good safe fuse, can improve the sound of a product as much as stated in all the fuse reviews I’ve read, than
maybe they are a bargain.

PFO & other audiophile rags need to tell the manufacturer to see the pertinent specifications of these products before they will review
 them. If the manufacturer won’t supply specs it should noted in the review. ( hahhah, fat chance of that eh?)

Looked at in the light of the cost of a good quality generic fuse usually less than buck, then they’re not a bargain.

Clio09

I know people at PFO and am crafting an email to one of them to comment on the review and make some suggestions on how they can better serve their readers. Maybe it will help, or maybe not.

I would hope that Roger could email Ted Denney and have a designer-to-designer chat with him. At which point we may get closer to the truth.

fastfred

• Fred Petersen
    • audiofyle.com
I know people at PFO and am crafting an email to one of them to comment on the review and make some suggestions
on how they can better serve their readers. Maybe it will help, or maybe not.

I would hope that Roger could email Ted Denney and have a designer-to-designer chat with him. At which point we may
get closer to the truth.

I already sent an e-mail to the letters column on PFO, & and I also discovered there is a forum there where one can join
(I'm going to try & post there). Good luck getting through to the editors, I know Roger tried.  I believe the reviewer from PFO
was quoting the sales pitch from Synergistic Research in his review.

I'm going to quote you here:
 “Reviewers are part of the problem too as they feed the well audiophiles drink from.”

I believe the goal we should strive for is the title of this topic pure & simple
(The future of hi/end audio & a rant on honesty in reviewing"

I don't believe we will be able to sway Mr. Denney, but with this ongoing topic in Music Reference Circle perhaps
we can put enough pressure on the (the editors) that they will take responsibility for what
they put out there. (hold their reviewers to a higher standard).

............................... fastfred
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2014, 01:54 am by fastfred »

werd

Hi Roger,

If you would like the user manual for our ABX Test box send an e-mail to me, avahifi@comcast.net and I will send you the .pdf file.

Its a $995 unit that allows connection to a source, two preamps, two power amps, and three sets of speakers either with or without subwoofers.  It allows exact level matching and either long term informal testing or short term double blind testing.  It works really well.

Frank

I was going to spend about $1000 on cables but i got wise and bought Frank's ABX box. Now i ain't got no money to get ripped off on cables with. Glad i went the smart route....

JohnR

Folks, I'm afraid this thread is getting dangerously close to being moved to Quarantine again. For those who don't know, you may not use AudioCircle as a vehicle for attacking others. Technical facts are fine, but "guilty parties"? I don't think so. The phrase "live and let live" might be the best way to put it.

With regard to reviewing, HifiZine accepts submissions from members of the audiophile community. Well-written and thoughtful reviews or articles are welcome, and we'll work with you to get your submission into publishable form. Bear in mind that articles are to be written for the reader, not the writer, so unadorned rants and the like aren't of interest.

Thanks for your consideration.

fastfred

• Fred Petersen
    • audiofyle.com
Folks, I'm afraid this thread is getting dangerously close to being moved to Quarantine again. For those who don't know, you may not use AudioCircle as a vehicle for attacking others. Technical facts are fine, but "guilty parties"? I don't think so. The phrase "live and let live" might be the best way to put it.

With regard to reviewing, HifiZine accepts submissions from members of the audiophile community. Well-written and thoughtful reviews or articles are welcome, and we'll work with you to get your submission into publishable form. Bear in mind that articles are to be written for the reader, not the writer, so unadorned rants and the like aren't of interest.

I'm the person who used the term guilty parties, my apology for that, I've modified the reply by
removing the 2 words, guilty & party. In my defence these reviews published by PFO are in the public
domain, and because of this, are they not subject to challenge & rebuttal especially if something of a
dubious nature or even downright snake oil is published. Should they not be called to task?

Sorry if I offended, if you want to pm me with any further suggestions, I'd appreciate it. The last thing I want is
to be responsible for closing this thread.

............................ fastfred

fastfred

• Fred Petersen
    • audiofyle.com

Hello John
I'm glad you sent the above link to (hifzine) I wasn't aware it was online.  Early in this topic I asked for people to
weigh in with their favourite magazines. Thanks again John.

................ fastfred

werd

The notion a fuse can not be improved beyond what .50 cents wields is beyond me. Yes maybe $50 usd is a bit much, but what if it was $25?  Is that too much too?  Is it price or is the actual improvement that pisses flat-Earthers off?

All it needs to be is more responsive (less resistive) while it maintains a rated blow current. Thats it! You can't tell me this isn't possible? Everything else in front of a transformer has proven to be beneficial to soundstage. Including power cables, outlets, fuse box improvements. Fuses seem to be in line with this group.  Sorry impedance rules here and how the fuse drops the impedance the amp transformer sees right down to local neighbourhood transformer.

Sorry, but complaining about an audio reviewer isn't going to change that.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted

All it needs to be is more responsive (less resistive) while it maintains a rated blow current. Thats it! You can't tell me this isn't possible?

the fuse does not set the current through the fuse the circuit does! :green:

werd

the fuse does not set the current through the fuse the circuit does! :green:

Transient power is directly related to how the amp transformer reacts to the local neighbourhood transformer. Everything in between your amp transformer and that local neighbourhood transformer is going to be important.

Including power cords, outlets, house fuse boxes, AMP FUSES, location to the local transformer., time of day and neighbourhood draw on power. Literally everything.

This whole discussion and its opposing views looks like people's under appreciation of how important the local neighbourhood transformer is. That neighbourhood transformer is very much apart of your home audio system. The way your system interacts is crucial to how your stereo/home theatre will sound.

wushuliu

Onoz $100 fuses. And the French think Quentin Tarantino is a genius. There's no justice in the world, I tell ya. None at all.