I would like the class to have a kit to buy and build
26 (16.8%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Amplifier Design Classes

Roger A. Modjeski

Re: Amplifier Design Classes
« Reply #60 on: 19 Jun 2014, 12:34 am »
Just a WAG on my part...
but Roger has expressed an interest in having a school/shop/clinic/site the N-Cal Bay area Berkley.
Where amplifier design & speaker design could be mentored & perhaps some construction.

the online classes previously mentioned woulda been a logistical nightmare and fraught with
the opportunity to freeload.

imho....

The help in getting the on-line thing going has not materialized. I would much rather teach in person. Perhaps when I get that going I can run some video and put it up.

You hit the nail square on the head about the Mentoring. Although it will be a considerable bother to move to the Bay Area I know I will enjoy the people there and will have a much better chance of finding a special few who want to carry on this work. There is no high-end audio in Santa Barbara, no students, no interest. I am truly a fish out of water here.

soundofrockets

« Reply #61 on: 14 Jul 2014, 10:29 pm »
do you have any updates on your plans for Berkeley area workshop ? 

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #62 on: 15 Jul 2014, 01:10 pm »
do you have any updates on your plans for Berkeley area workshop ?

We plan to offer the amp building class at the Randall Museum in January. Thanks for your interest.

bdp24

« Reply #63 on: 16 Jul 2014, 01:10 am »
Roger, you may already know this, but the cost of living in the Bay Area in general, and San Francisco in particular, is insane. But then, Santa Barbara isn't cheap either!

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #64 on: 16 Jul 2014, 01:41 am »
Roger, you may already know this, but the cost of living in the Bay Area in general, and San Francisco in particular, is insane. But then, Santa Barbara isn't cheap either!

Thanks, I have looked into it and found the cost in Berkeley to be very close to Santa Barbara, with more selection.

bdp24

« Reply #65 on: 17 Jul 2014, 02:31 am »
It's an interesting city, bohemian mixed with politics. Lots of street energy, great audiences for live music (I used to play at Keystone Berkeley, San Francisco, and Palo Alto occasionally). People even dance, though it's often Hippie style (we called it the "Sun Grope" :wink:).

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #66 on: 17 Jul 2014, 03:44 pm »
Santa Barbara has become a city for tourists and people who don't want to do anything. Film stars, producers, newly wealthy people have become the norm here. There is no Hi Fi here. In 25 years I have not walked into one home with a tube amp or Hi Fi of any note. It is not unusual for a person to spend 100-500K on a home theater or fully wired in-home music distribution system with in wall, in ceiling speakers and complete functionality in each room so each person can play whatever music they choose off the server. One system I saw being constructed was in two full 19 inch racks. That is their idea of a music system.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #67 on: 17 Jul 2014, 04:49 pm »
Sounds very convenient but utterly boring.  :sleep:

Cheeseboy

« Reply #68 on: 17 Jul 2014, 06:09 pm »
It's an interesting city, bohemian mixed with politics. Lots of street energy, great audiences for live music (I used to play at Keystone Berkeley, San Francisco, and Palo Alto occasionally). People even dance, though it's often Hippie style (we called it the "Sun Grope" :wink:).

That is hilarious.  We call it the "Contraceptive Dance".  Once you see a woman dancing like that with lots of underarm hair your mind will shut off any and all interest in having a relationship with her. 

Berkeley will welcome you with open arms.  Welcome to the Bay Area.

Steve

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #69 on: 18 Jul 2014, 12:32 am »

Steve

I hope so, it's a lot of effort to move there and I am doing it mainly to teach.

JakeJ

« Reply #70 on: 18 Jul 2014, 08:01 am »
Wait a minute, I didn't catch that you are moving to Berkeley.  Just your family or everything, company too?

bdp24

« Reply #71 on: 18 Jul 2014, 01:19 pm »
That is hilarious.  We call it the "Contraceptive Dance".  Once you see a woman dancing like that with lots of underarm hair your mind will shut off any and all interest in having a relationship with her. 

Steve
:lol: :lol: :lol::Great, great, great! It's amazing that the Hippie ethos has survived after all this time, but it's alive and well in NorCal. When I moved down from San Jose to LA in '79, I didn't see my old friends up there for quite awhile. When I did years later, I was amazed to see they were still smoking the special cigarettes. I didn't know ANYONE in SoCal that did, but EVERYONE I knew up North did and still does. Does the smell of female underarm hair go well with the smell of herb :wink:? And organic food :o?

bdp24

« Reply #72 on: 18 Jul 2014, 01:30 pm »
I hope so, it's a lot of effort to move there and I am doing it mainly to teach.

Great. Just when I finally get an MR amp (finally in two ways: Finally as in after all this time, and finally as in I plan on my RM200 being the amp in my Hi-Fi for the rest of my life. It will definitely outlive me), and am within driving distance of Roger, he up and moves North. Serves me right for not getting one sooner. By the way.....I really like the stainless steel transformer cover of the RM200 Mk.I. (the reflection of the tubes off of it in a darkened room is very cool looking). Is it removable from the amp's brushed aluminum top plate and put on an RM200 Mk.II in place of that amp's brushed cover? Is there a SS cover left over and available, or were they all used up?

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #73 on: 18 Jul 2014, 01:56 pm »
Great. Just when I finally get an MR amp (finally in two ways: Finally as in after all this time, and finally as in I plan on my RM200 being the amp in my Hi-Fi for the rest of my life. It will definitely outlive me), and am within driving distance of Roger, he up and moves North. Serves me right for not getting one sooner. By the way.....I really like the stainless steel transformer cover of the RM200 Mk.I. (the reflection of the tubes off of it in a darkened room is very cool looking). Is it removable from the amp's brushed aluminum top plate and put on an RM200 Mk.II in place of that amp's brushed cover? Is there a SS cover left over and available, or were they all used up?

I have  few SS covers left. Write Ben   tubeaudiostore@gmail.com

bdp24

« Reply #74 on: 18 Jul 2014, 01:58 pm »
Fantastic Roger, thanks. I guess they just bolt or screw onto the top plate?

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #75 on: 18 Jul 2014, 02:23 pm »
Everything I make is easy to work on. Just need a  #2 Phillips screwdriver. Put the amp upside down on a towel, Take off the bottom and the cover comes off with 4 screws.

Perkinsman

« Reply #76 on: 6 Aug 2014, 05:13 am »
I've just joined your site with the hope of getting into the amp class. Have any concrete plans been made yet for the classes? I live in Sacramento and would love to attend!

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #77 on: 7 Aug 2014, 05:59 pm »
I've just joined your site with the hope of getting into the amp class. Have any concrete plans been made yet for the classes? I live in Sacramento and would love to attend!

Did you see this post about the school?  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=127866.0

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #78 on: 29 Aug 2014, 03:43 pm »
Hi, New video on amplifier construction techniques at you tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuUiNhbMzjY&list=UUhBOdsRsM7YDnU2CHsgBG-g