tube removal

parr3n1

tube removal
« on: 9 Aug 2013, 02:09 am »
When transporting a tube amp in your car lets say a 100 miles, do you have to remove the tubes.
I have always wondered what the difference is if the vibrate in a box in the car or in the amp???
Thanks

Ericus Rex

Re: tube removal
« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug 2013, 10:44 am »
They would vibrate the same whether installed in the amp or in the box.  You can leave the tubes in...so long as you don't get rear ended!

The danger with leaving them in while shipping is that a drop would break the guide pins, the glass or cause the tube to come out of the socket all together and cause a real mess.  Vibration isn't the issue.

I guess this means your amp is sale pending?

parr3n1

« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2013, 12:16 pm »
Yes it does, and I am really sad to see it go. I have enjoyed this amp
for a number of years and now I am going to a headphone system.
thanks for the info.

tubegroove

« Reply #3 on: 9 Aug 2013, 03:40 pm »
Considering that Roger shipped my RM10 halfway around the world with the tubes all fitted in and he would know what's best for the amp, I would think it should be ok to transport it with tubes fitted so long as it's adequately protected

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #4 on: 2 Oct 2013, 03:13 am »
We should all remember that any Television or Radio that was sold came with the tubes in place from the factory. I will say if sockets get loose over time then perhaps tubes should come out for shipping. In the car I can't imagine any problem.

Do you know that tubes are made to take over 10 G's. Some take 100 G's without damage. Tubes are not fragile as long as you don't break the glass on your concrete floor.

/mp

« Reply #5 on: 3 Oct 2013, 01:57 pm »
We should all remember that any Television or Radio that was sold came with the tubes in place from the factory. I will say if sockets get loose over time then perhaps tubes should come out for shipping. In the car I can't imagine any problem.
For that matter, TVs and computer monitors were big tubes until the advent of flat screen TVs. Cathode ray tubes.

Do you know that tubes are made to take over 10 G's. Some take 100 G's without damage.
Not I; although, it does make sense.  Pre-transistor aircraft must have used tube technology. Some WWII era fighters could pull 6G IIRC & I seem to recall reports of experts surprise to find Soviet MIG 25's used tubes when they examined the one flown to Japan by defecting pilot Viktor Belenko. Fascinating.
« Last Edit: 3 Oct 2013, 04:59 pm by /mp »

WireNut

« Reply #6 on: 3 Oct 2013, 04:39 pm »
Here's a pic from another thread where the tubes were left in during shipping. Kinda makes me ill.

rbwalt

« Reply #7 on: 4 Oct 2013, 02:09 pm »
roger shipped my amp to me with tubes installed. it made it from ca to va with no issues. if you want to ship with the tubes in then get some pieces of foam and put them between the tubes and on top. the pic of the broken tubes looks like the amp was dropped on its head and probably not packed very well. oh yea my joule electra pre was shipped with the tubes installed with no issues. it is called proper packing. even when i ship my gear out i make sure it is packed to the max but still i do worry. some carriers are better than others. sometimes it is better to have shipping done by air as it will not be handled as much.

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #8 on: 5 Oct 2013, 07:14 pm »
Here's a pic from another thread where the tubes were left in during shipping. Kinda makes me ill.

All my amplifiers are made to fit tight in an inner box where they cannot rotate and the tubes therefore have no chance of having weight put on them. The amp pictured has no transformer cover to support it in the box and its possible that the tubes became the support for the whole amplifier. Frankly an amplifier like this is hard to ship and the tubes obviously must be removed.

Unfortunately some people pack thinigs thinking they will never be turned on their side or upside down. We have received heavy amplifiers which were shipped in boxes much too large with much too loose packing so by the time they got here they were rolling around in the box. Once we received an RM-4 headamp simply wrapped in bubble wrap with a Fedex label stuck on it. No box at all.

That's a sad picture for sure. I must add that one has to carefully assess the tightness of the sockets which varies greatly from one amp to another. The american made NOS sockets I use are very tight and stay tight for a long time. However tube pin diameters vary greatly as does socket wear. With a good power tube fit it takes over 10 pounds of force to move the tube. With some tubes I can lift the corner of a 60 pound RM9 off the table. If I can't then I would not ship the tubes in place. In addition the RM-9 has a cage which allows me to put paper on top of the tubes so they cant come out.

Also this discussion started with car travel, for which  I see no reason to remove the tubes.

WireNut

« Reply #9 on: 5 Oct 2013, 07:43 pm »

Also this discussion started with car travel, for which  I see no reason to remove the tubes.

Yes it did. But it reminded me of some pics I saw in another thread so I posted the photo. Here's the link for anyone interested.
Warning, disturbing photos.  :cry:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=114746.0

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #10 on: 5 Oct 2013, 08:37 pm »

Yes it did. But it reminded me of some pics I saw in another thread so I posted the photo. Here's the link for anyone interested.
Warning, disturbing photos.  :cry:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=114746.0

That's a sad tale for sure. I do have something important to add from seeing the additional pictures. Unfortunately VTL and others put tube sockets on the PC board which is not a good practice for many reasons. Besides the fact that it reduces the lifetime of the amp due to board heat failure the tubes do not get fully in the sockets unless the sockets are flush with the chassis. These sockets appear to be down perhaps 1/8 inch as seen here. You can also see how the tubes still in place are barely in there.  This could have been avoided by packing the cage with newspaper around and above the tubes to hold them down or wrapping them and putting them under the cage.

Note in the photos that the holes in the chassis prevent the tubes from going down all the way to the socket. Although tube pins are about 3/8" long its only the last 1/8 that really holds them.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #11 on: 5 Oct 2013, 09:19 pm »
That poor VTL took a beating, all right.
The last I heard it's still not up and running right. 

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #12 on: 22 Oct 2013, 09:58 pm »
Whats the latest on this amp?

WireNut

« Reply #13 on: 23 Oct 2013, 03:03 am »
Whats the latest on this amp?

A terrible accident to be sure. Owned by Maritan. Hopefully everything is ok...
Those pics just make me wanna  :bawl: