Comments on RM-200 from Mike Fremer

Roger A. Modjeski

Comments on RM-200 from Mike Fremer
« on: 20 Jun 2013, 09:39 pm »
Heres a nice interview. The RM-200 part starts at 1:02 (run time). If you go 5 minutes before that he starts talking about tubes vs transistors and comments on the $175,000 ML3 he is looking at from Lamm. I like what Lamm does but his prices have no relation to what someone is getting or the cost to build it. It has been said that in products like Lamm one is paying for a lot of engineering spread over a small number of units. Perhaps just one unit in this case. But even if the whole thing took a few months, that's good pay, isn't it?

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/analogplanet-editor-appears-scott-wikinsons-home-theater-geeks-podcast-0

bdp24

Re: Comments on RM-200 from Mike Fremer
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2013, 08:29 am »
Roger is one of my favorite people in Hi-Fi (another is Walter Davies of The Last Corp.). Quite awhile back I was in the market for a tube amp with which to drive my (old) Quad speakers, and I went to an instore appearance Roger made at one of his SoCal dealers (Brooks Berdan perhaps). I was debating between his RM-100 and his then-new 30W mono pair. Roger asked me what I was currently using with the Quads, and when I told him a pair the original Quad tube amps, he said something to the effect of "Oh, those are great with the Quad ESL's. Just get some new tubes and make sure all the caps/resistors/etc. are up to value, and keep them". How many amp manufacturers will tell you to keep the amp you already have instead of buying a new one from him?!

/mp

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2013, 04:29 am »
Please double check your link. I get a 404 error (file/page doesn't exist).

TIA,

Update: Analog Planet site down for maintenance.

tubegroove

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2013, 04:55 am »
The link is working now.

/mp

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jul 2013, 03:24 am »
The RM-200 part starts at 1:02 (run time).

Just to be clear it starts at 1 hour 2 minutes, not 1 minute 2 seconds.

enjoy