LDR's and subwoofer options?

33na3rd

LDR's and subwoofer options?
« on: 30 Oct 2014, 05:36 pm »
Hello Morten and all,

I was thinking about what you said about multiple devices sharing an LDR's output and how it affects the load.

So if my subwoofer can be hooked via line level RCA's from the LDR & shared with my main amp, or via high level inputs from my  main amplifier's speaker jacks, I might be better off using the high level connection and letting the LDR see my main amp all by itself?

Normally I would choose the RCA method as the best method, in a "conventional" system. But I'm thinking the high level might suite an LDR system better.

Thoughts?

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Handcrafted high performance audio
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: LDR's and subwoofer options?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2014, 06:54 pm »
Hello Morten and all,

I was thinking about what you said about multiple devices sharing an LDR's output and how it affects the load.

So if my subwoofer can be hooked via line level RCA's from the LDR & shared with my main amp, or via high level inputs from my  main amplifier's speaker jacks, I might be better off using the high level connection and letting the LDR see my main amp all by itself?

Normally I would choose the RCA method as the best method, in a "conventional" system. But I'm thinking the high level might suite an LDR system better.

Thoughts?

I and others have had great results letting the LDR preamp drive both main & subwoofer amps in parallel. While the calcs are informative they are rarely definitive in determining suitability.  My advice is start by driving  the sub-amp from the preamp RCA out and establish a baseline. If the sub has sufficient attenuation you might run it down to min output/contribution and listen to your main speakers with and without the sub connected and see if you can discern any negatives.  You can always try later to feed the sub off the mains' output and compare that as well. Worst case but a buffer between the the LDR out and the sub. We will eventually offer a buffer.

jparkhur

« Reply #2 on: 30 Oct 2014, 07:16 pm »
I am currently driving a tourtuga ldr with an outboard ps, but the ldr is driving four separate amps. Two mono full range and two mono subs. Behave had only good things to say about it. 

Jp

33na3rd

« Reply #3 on: 30 Oct 2014, 07:46 pm »
I and others have had great results letting the LDR preamp drive both main & subwoofer amps in parallel. While the calcs are informative they are rarely definitive in determining suitability.  My advice is start by driving  the sub-amp from the preamp RCA out and establish a baseline. If the sub has sufficient attenuation you might run it down to min output/contribution and listen to your main speakers with and without the sub connected and see if you can discern any negatives.  You can always try later to feed the sub off the mains' output and compare that as well. Worst case but a buffer between the the LDR out and the sub. We will eventually offer a buffer.

Sounds like when I build up a new LDR3X, I should leave enough room for a buffer board! :)

Thank you for the reply!

33na3rd

« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct 2014, 07:47 pm »
I am currently driving a tourtuga ldr with an outboard ps, but the ldr is driving four separate amps. Two mono full range and two mono subs. Behave had only good things to say about it. 

Jp

Thank you, Jp!