Clearaudio MM -- AT-95E and beyond

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Re: Clearaudio MM -- AT-95E and beyond
« Reply #1420 on: 17 Apr 2016, 11:29 am »
More news from AT:

Apparently there is a newer version of the 100E and it has the same motor as the 120/440.  AT seems to be playing games with the model numbers and corresponding motors.  In N America apparently there is still stock of the 350mH version.  In the rest of the world buyer beware. 

For years the 100E was available in Japan only as a special bargain for Japanese audiofools.  I seriously resent this practice.  Apparently Audio Technica thinks the rest of the world is stupid and the Japanese deserve special treatment for being Japanese? 

It looks like the 7V is discontinued.  I can't find it on any AT site.  I have to assume this motor is just too sweet and musical to be a genuine AT.  You don't have to load it with 100K resistors  or stand on your head and spit wooden nickels.  Unlike the Signet TK7LCa (550mH) the 7V is 500mH and 650 ohms.  I think it has more potential than the 7LCa.   You can still get one  at Lp Gear or Amazon and get free shipping. 

AT is a mess with different products available in different markets.  I'm not sure about headphones and microphones, but their cartridge distribution looks like amateur hour.   They need to get their act together.  This creates a lot of bad will and hard feelings. 
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1421 on: 12 May 2016, 10:33 pm »
Another surprise from AT - a new TOTL MC  ART1000
http://www.whathifi.com/news/audio-technica-unveils-new-reference-art1000-mc-cartridge
http://www.analogplanet.com/content/audio-technicas-evolutionary-new-art1000-phono-cartridge#Y210J0Vwa7cRSwJR.97

Hold your breath - close to $6k

The coils hang down to the cantilever near the stylus?
Could be an expensive dust bunny.
neo

Grbluen

« Reply #1422 on: 12 May 2016, 11:34 pm »
I can't believe that thing isn't threaded!

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1423 on: 15 May 2016, 02:01 pm »
More AT -  LP5 turntable
http://eu.audio-technica.com/hifi-phono/turntables/AT-LP5

This one has a longer arm, about 9.8" eff length w/no VTF OTF.  Has Technics style arm bearings.  New (?) AT95X  w/red stylus.
Includes a built-in preamp.  Sells in England for just under $500.

Interesting situation with AT and N America sales - no high end product is offered, not that this table is high end.  If you go to AT N America site the TOTL MC is the PTGIII.  Is this because AT is heavily discounted in the US?  Not thought of as a high end company? 
I suspect it's because worldwide sales might be hurt by US discounts and US customers would tend to buy grey market product w/no warranty. 

I believe it's only the turntable/cartridge division where this situation exists.  This sucks.
If you want an ATN150MLX stylus it might be a good idea not to wait.   The new ATN150Sa stylus is $251.21 at Lp Gear.  This is aluminum/shibata.
neo

ACHiPo

« Reply #1424 on: 18 Sep 2016, 01:54 pm »
Ok classmates (and teacher  8)), I've got a couple questions for you:

1) I may have the opportunity to buy a Grace F9 for a decent price.  While it has a stylus, it's in unknown condition so likely needs to be replaced.  The Soundsmith replacements are supposedly fantastic, but by the time I put a new stylus on, it will be >$600, and I'm questioning whether the combination will be THAT good?  Input and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2) The same seller has a Signet TK-7E cartridge with an AT-22SS stylus with ~100 hours for a good price.  I've read lots of good things about the different TK-7 models, and the AT-22SS stylus is supposed to be fantastic in its own right.  First question is advice/feedback on this cartridge and stylus combination--how would it compare to the AT150MLX cartridge I picked up a few months ago?  Second question is whether the AT150MLX (and variant) stylus will fit on the TK-7E.  I've read that the 15SS will fit on the Signet, but is the AT15SS and AT150, et al the same fitment?

Thanks in advance!
AC

Grbluen

« Reply #1425 on: 18 Sep 2016, 06:33 pm »
I think the 150MLstylus works on the TK7Ea. I think the TK7 is a different system.

Don

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1426 on: 18 Sep 2016, 07:42 pm »
Hi Evan,
Don is correct (go to the head of the class?).   The Signet TK7E is from the old Signet line and is a round plug model.  Matter of fact, the generator is identical to the 15/20SS with 450mH, 500 ohm, and 2.7V.

The 15/20 beryllium/shibata stylus is unobtainium and would be virtually impossible to replace.  Problem is, exotic round plug styli are extremely rare.  Lp Gear might have a 20SLa or similar.  I think most of the 20 series is beryllium.  Not sure about any of that availability.

I find my 15/20SS to be an eminently listenable cart.  It seems to have the detailed AT resolution, but with a sweeter presentation than the 150MLX.  The ML/boron stylus is more exact. 

The F9 is a great cart.  I haven't heard it with a Soundsmith replacement stylus.  I imagine it's excellent - said to combine superior resolution with the Grace musicality.

If your 150MLX seems a little bright or unforgiving, try a 400K resistor in parallel with your input.  Make sure input capacitance is < 200pF.
neo

ACHiPo

« Reply #1427 on: 18 Sep 2016, 09:31 pm »
Hi Evan,
Don is correct (go to the head of the class?).   The Signet TK7E is from the old Signet line and is a round plug model.  Matter of fact, the generator is identical to the 15/20SS with 450mH, 500 ohm, and 2.7V.

I figured this out after I posted my question.  Not sure what happened to my response?  Dog ate it? :lol:
The 15/20 beryllium/shibata stylus is unobtainium and would be virtually impossible to replace.  Problem is, exotic round plug styli are extremely rare.  Lp Gear might have a 20SLa or similar.  I think most of the 20 series is beryllium.  Not sure about any of that availability.

LP Gear sells a replacement, but a bonded alloy cantilever.

I find my 15/20SS to be an eminently listenable cart.  It seems to have the detailed AT resolution, but with a sweeter presentation than the 150MLX.  The ML/boron stylus is more exact. 

The F9 is a great cart.  I haven't heard it with a Soundsmith replacement stylus.  I imagine it's excellent - said to combine superior resolution with the Grace musicality.

If your 150MLX seems a little bright or unforgiving, try a 400K resistor in parallel with your input.  Make sure input capacitance is < 200pF.
neo
I need to inspect my 150--even after 20 hours it's not sounding that great.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2016, 10:46 pm by ACHiPo »

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1428 on: 2 Oct 2016, 09:33 am »
I need to inspect my 150--even after 20 hours it's not sounding that great.

Somehow I missed your edit of the last post.  If the cart was new, 20 hrs is not adequate for break in.  It could be close to 100 hrs. 
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1429 on: 2 Oct 2016, 09:34 am »
Acutex fans:

neo

Halcro

« Reply #1430 on: 2 Oct 2016, 12:36 pm »
Here are the 310, 312, and 315 in living colour.... :icon_lol:

It is hard to distinguish many differences between the three although other folk swear that the 320 is 'The One'..... :thumb:
When I load the LPM 420STR however...

the clouds part and the sun bursts through with vivid clarity... :dance:
This cartridge is surely in my top 15...... :guns:

ACHiPo

« Reply #1431 on: 2 Oct 2016, 01:59 pm »
Somehow I missed your edit of the last post.  If the cart was new, 20 hrs is not adequate for break in.  It could be close to 100 hrs. 
neo
I'll give it more time to run in.  I'm in the home stretch of my turntable build, after which it will be easier to swap the 150 into rotation.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1432 on: 2 Oct 2016, 02:45 pm »
Hard to find generator specs for Acutex.   Seems that some of the upper models were 610 DC/ 2700 IMP.  Some also had boron cantilevers, but tip mass seems a bit high.  They must have bonded diamonds. 
Nagaoka is said to be the OEM.  This also makes sense as Nagaoka makes most of their styli with bonded tips.

Acutex are induced magnet types, with magnets at 45° w/a piece of metal shield between the magnets.

Are some Acutex models 3 magnets?

Any info - please jump in.
neo

ACHiPo

« Reply #1433 on: 13 Oct 2016, 01:36 pm »
Guess I'm diving into the MM rabbit hole!  My AT 150 MLX is sounding fantastic on the TransFi tonearm.  I just received an NOS Signet TK7SU with a TKN3 stylus, and have a TK7e with an AT22SS stylus coming in.  Think I've got enough back ups at this point, although I'm eyeing a Fidelity Research MM just to hear what it sounds like.

Halcro

« Reply #1434 on: 13 Oct 2016, 01:40 pm »
All good choices Evan...
You'll soon be an expert... :thumb:

ACHiPo

« Reply #1435 on: 13 Oct 2016, 01:58 pm »
All good choices Evan...
You'll soon be an expert... :thumb:
Thanks Henry!  :green:

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1436 on: 13 Oct 2016, 04:44 pm »
Guess I'm diving into the MM rabbit hole!  My AT 150 MLX is sounding fantastic on the TransFi tonearm.  I just received an NOS Signet TK7SU with a TKN3 stylus, and have a TK7e with an AT22SS stylus coming in.  Think I've got enough back ups at this point, although I'm eyeing a Fidelity Research MM just to hear what it sounds like.

That's great.  I was afraid you might have too much capacitance for flat response from the MLX. 

I think we touched on this in a PM.  The TK7E and 7SU share the same generator.  Check out the chart near the top of the page (72).  That's not such a bad thing.  You might find one body sounding better than the other.  If you have a digital (necessary) multimeter, you can check for similar channel resistance.  Some meters can measure inductance and you can check that too.   

Not sure if you were reading this thread when I bought an old Signet MR 5.0ML ?   The body didn't sound good, but the generator is the same as a 440 (490mH), and the stylus sounds great.  But that's a modern 100/120 series beryllium/ML.  Your TK7's are older round plug types, and with that ATN20SS  coming in, you should be in great shape. 

Henry,
Before I forget again, great photos!! 

Don't you have a couple of FR MMs ??   Could you tell us about them?   The FR-6SE looks like the best one?
neo

WireNut

« Reply #1437 on: 13 Oct 2016, 08:26 pm »

I can not find this cartridge LPM 420STR . Can someone give me a link? Thanks...

Here are the 310, 312, and 315 in living colour.... :icon_lol:

It is hard to distinguish many differences between the three although other folk swear that the 320 is 'The One'..... :thumb:
When I load the LPM 420STR however...

the clouds part and the sun bursts through with vivid clarity... :dance:
This cartridge is surely in my top 15...... :guns:

Halcro

« Reply #1438 on: 14 Oct 2016, 12:06 am »
I can not find this cartridge LPM 420STR . Can someone give me a link? Thanks...
The 420STR is a vintage cartridge that is no longer made.
You need to keep an eye out for one on eBay or even better....HiFiShark.
They come up from time to time. You just need to be patient.
Here is a LPM 412STR that is currently available
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/381791961623?rmvSB=true
Good luck.

Halcro

« Reply #1439 on: 14 Oct 2016, 12:21 am »
Henry,
Before I forget again, great photos!! 

Don't you have a couple of FR MMs ??   Could you tell us about them?   The FR-6SE looks like the best one?
neo
Thanks Neo....
Yes I have a whole cotillion of FR MMs....
The FR-5

The FR-5E (a favourite of J.Carr)

and the best of them....the FR-6SE

Luscious and enveloping as they all are....the FR-6SE mounted in the ceramic headshell of my SAEC WE-8000/ST tonearm is one of the most captivating sounds that has filled my room  :rock:
Regards