Stylus microscope

marknoir

Stylus microscope
« on: 13 Nov 2014, 08:34 pm »
Hi

Does anybody in NY/NJ tri-state area have a stylus microscope to check out my cartridges? I'd pay for service or in exchange for something...

Thx

Wayner

Re: Stylus microscope
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2014, 09:58 pm »
Mark,

I bought a 5/10/15X (which can be turned into a 30X) at RadioShack for just a few bucks. It will get close enough for you to view your stylus.

Wayner

marknoir

« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2014, 10:51 pm »
Mark,

I bought a 5/10/15X (which can be turned into a 30X) at RadioShack for just a few bucks. It will get close enough for you to view your stylus.

Wayner

Thank you Wayner

Is 15X enough? I thought more of a 100X...

Mark

vortrex

« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2014, 10:58 pm »
I got a 50x optical / 200x digital USB microscope for like $20 off Amazon?

marknoir

« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2014, 11:00 pm »
I got a 50x optical / 200x digital USB microscope for like $20 off Amazon?

This sounds good! What's the name?

M

BruceW

« Reply #5 on: 13 Nov 2014, 11:06 pm »

vortrex

« Reply #6 on: 13 Nov 2014, 11:09 pm »

marknoir

« Reply #7 on: 13 Nov 2014, 11:14 pm »
Sorry, I was wrong, it is $39.95.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AFH3IN4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thx

How do you position it so it's stable? I guess one has to devise a cartridge mounting thingy...

vortrex

« Reply #8 on: 13 Nov 2014, 11:17 pm »
It comes with a stand.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #9 on: 14 Nov 2014, 02:09 am »
Is this a general examination or checking for wear?

If you want to check for wear you need a more specialized set-up with side lights.

neo

marknoir

« Reply #10 on: 14 Nov 2014, 02:25 am »
Is this a general examination or checking for wear?

If you want to check for wear you need a more specialized set-up with side lights.

neo

Yes, the idea is to check for wear...

Thx

M

Wayner

« Reply #11 on: 14 Nov 2014, 02:30 am »

Thank you Wayner

Is 15X enough? I thought more of a 100X...

Mark

I use the 30X to check for wear. It's basically a jeweler's loop with 3 lens that can be used independently or together.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #12 on: 14 Nov 2014, 02:54 am »
Thx
M

I suggest you start here:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=225960

Sparky used a Shure microscope. there were two models.  One was 100X and the other was 200X.

I used an Audio Technica.  It was 100, 300, and 500X.  It had high intensity gooseneck lamps on the side.  The idea is to look at the light reflected off the side of the tip.  The patch of light exposes what is called a flat, a portion worn flat and reflecting light like a mirror or flat surface.  Wear is judged by the relative size of the flat(s).   
30X is great for general examination.  You can see if the tip is chipped or fractured except some micros are so small you can barely see the business part of the tip.   
I haven't looked at that Karma thread and photos in years, but I remember it's a good place to get an idea of what you're looking at.
neo

marknoir

« Reply #13 on: 14 Nov 2014, 03:08 am »
I suggest you start here:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=225960

Sparky used a Shure microscope. there were two models.  One was 100X and the other was 200X.

I used an Audio Technica.  It was 100, 300, and 500X.  It had high intensity gooseneck lamps on the side.  The idea is to look at the light reflected off the side of the tip.  The patch of light exposes what is called a flat, a portion worn flat and reflecting light like a mirror or flat surface.  Wear is judged by the relative size of the flat(s).   
30X is great for general examination.  You can see if the tip is chipped or fractured except some micros are so small you can barely see the business part of the tip.   
I haven't looked at that Karma thread and photos in years, but I remember it's a good place to get an idea of what you're looking at.
neo

Yes, thanks, I know the thread... I am not in a position to start a project, and I looked on ebay - a comparable set-up is around $200. I wanted to check my cartridges using someone else's set-up, but if there is no other way, I guess I'll have to buy one. I think it would be a good idea sort of get one for everybody's benefit in NY area... BTW, Shure is impossible to find.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #14 on: 14 Nov 2014, 03:28 am »
The Shure's aren't that great anyway.  The later one, 200x is just adequate.   I'd bet someone in NY has a good set-up, someone besides Soundsmith.
A good part of it is knowing what you're looking at.

There are a lot of used scopes 100, 200, and 400X.  You have to find one with a stage that can accommodate a cart.  Then get side lamps.  There are a few old threads here about set-up, USB possibilities. 
neo

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #15 on: 14 Nov 2014, 01:44 pm »
I have this one.  Looks like you can get it used for $31.45 shipped.  It's pretty flexible to adjust the lens angle.  I still found it easier to dismount the cart and lay it flat on a desk to look at the tip.  In my case, I just unscrewed the wand with the cart on it.   It was much easier this way than manipulating the scope placement to focus in on the tip that is mounted on a TT.  It has a "dial" that you can rotate to adjust the magnification from 20 to 400.  You start at 20 and zoom in once you locate the tip. 

Wire Nut

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 21 Nov 2014, 01:26 pm »
I use the same USB microscope as Woodsyi and a loop to check out the diamonds on styli- they are slick when you dial them in. The nice thing about the loop is that it is soooo easy to rotate the stylus to look at from all angles (to look for dirt, etc).

sunnydaze

« Reply #17 on: 21 Nov 2014, 06:06 pm »
No need to get crazy!  Goto E-bay and get a 50 or 100x jewelers loupe for under 10 bux. 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=jewelers+loupe+50x&_from=R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xjewelers+loupe+100x&_nkw=jewelers+loupe+100x&_sacat=0

It is more than adequate to check stylus and cantilever condition.  15x is not enough!

Hold cartridge in hand, get a brightly lit light colored background behind it, and rotate the cart around and check stylus from all angles.  For background the following work very well:  a white page on a computer monitor screen,  light colored house siding in daylight,  a lit lamp with a shade on it.  Thats what I do.   Works great.  There's really no need to over think or over-complicate things.

I use a 30x loupe for this purpose, and was even able to get a pretty decent pic through it using my crappy cell phone camera.  It looks much clearer in reality, and 50 or 100x would be even better.

tonyptony

« Reply #18 on: 21 Nov 2014, 11:31 pm »
marknoir, if you still need help PM me.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #19 on: 22 Nov 2014, 01:37 pm »
Thx
M

These set-ups are good for general inspection and beauty shots, but they will NOT tell you about wear.  Believe me.  I did this professionally and you can clean up most well worn tips and they look lovely.   

You have to identify the relative size of the area worn flat.  Unless a tip is completely worn out you're making a judgment call.  You can also see when one side is worn more than the other.  Usually, none of this is discernible on a beauty shot. 
neo