Harry Hall Pearson passes away - RIP HP!

Triode Pete

Harry Hall Pearson passes away - RIP HP!
« on: 5 Nov 2014, 03:59 pm »
Just received an email that Harry Pearson passed away last night in his home in Sea Cliff, Long Island (NY)... He was 77 years old...

We learned a lot from HP in pursuit of the Absolute Sound!

Years ago, The Audio Syndrome (local Long Island / NYC -based audiophile club) hosted a dinner honoring HP at the Milleridge Inn (George Washington ate there!) in Jericho, NY. Guests included Carl & Marilyn Marchisotto (Alon / NOLA speakers), Scot Markwell (TAS writer & HP's personal equipment set-up man) as well as a few other audio mavens... It was a blast & HP was a character!

We will miss you, HP! Rest in Peace!

Pete

SoCalWJS

Re: Harry Hall Pearson passes away - RIP HP!
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2014, 04:31 pm »
Sorry to hear this. RIP Harry.

TAS was one of my early influences regarding this maddening hobby. Thanks for so many hours of reading TAS and enjoying the results when I listened to my system as it improved, frequently based upon suggestions from those early issues.

:(

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2014, 04:40 pm »
Sad to hear this.  I was fortunate enough to be introduced to HP by my employer at the time, Paul McGowan, at CES.  He was a character indeed, and bears a large responsibility for the listening based approach to system and component development which most of us follow to this day.
To his credit, he told it like he heard it, and was not afraid to go against audiophile "common wisdom" if his ears told him differently.

jaywills

« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2014, 04:55 pm »
Sorry to hear this.  I don't think it's widely known, but Mr. Pearson was a reporter for the Pine Bluff Commercial (Pine Bluff, Arkansas--I'm a life-long Arkie).  One of his stories for them became the basis for an annual Christmas editorial in our state-wide paper, the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.  We corresponded about it as he was unaware of it, and he seemed pleased.  Enjoy:

http://townhall.com/columnists/paulgreenberg/2012/12/21/december-21st-n1469953/page/full

simoon

« Reply #4 on: 5 Nov 2014, 05:16 pm »
Sad to hear.

I think it could safely be said that he helped change audio.

I'm still an off again, on again, TAS reader.

rpf

« Reply #5 on: 5 Nov 2014, 05:34 pm »
Sad to hear.

I think it could safely be said that he helped change audio.

I'm still an off again, on again, TAS reader.

He certainly did: his influence was huge.

RIP.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #6 on: 5 Nov 2014, 07:07 pm »
Sad to hear this.  I was fortunate enough to be introduced to HP by my employer at the time, Paul McGowan, at CES.  He was a character indeed, and bears a large responsibility for the listening based approach to system and component development which most of us follow to this day.
To his credit, he told it like he heard it, and was not afraid to go against audiophile "common wisdom" if his ears told him differently.

Well said.

I had a chance to meet him at a show (RMAF or CES) after a Q&A at his seminar.  He was a renaissance man.

I later had a chance to chat with him via email since I technically worked for him while writing a couple reviews for his short-lived HPSoundings.

RIP, HP.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7 on: 5 Nov 2014, 07:36 pm »
I had been a subscriber to TAS since it's very early issues.  I think everybody trusted HP's take on things.  Damn.

twitch54

« Reply #8 on: 5 Nov 2014, 07:41 pm »
Sad indeed, 77 years young, was it cancer that took him ?

jhm731

« Reply #9 on: 5 Nov 2014, 08:14 pm »
RIP- HP!

kentj1948

« Reply #10 on: 5 Nov 2014, 08:24 pm »
I first discovered TAS in the late 1970s and it was a tough read.  I had never heard of any of the equipment being reviewed and the descriptions of how it sounded were a mind-boggling departure from the "specsmanship" of the other magazines on the market.  But HP proved to be right and put home audio on a path that has led to far more musical enjoyment than we would have otherwise ever realized.  Thanks for all you did.

I had the pleasure of meeting Harry at RMAF a few years ago and it was an experience that I will cherish. 

a.wayne

« Reply #11 on: 5 Nov 2014, 08:31 pm »
Sad,  RIP HP .............

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #12 on: 5 Nov 2014, 08:35 pm »
I am truly sad to read of Harry's passing. He and I were friends for decades, as I was an early subscriber and wrote him letters commenting on his equipment reviews. 

Many years later, I had the pleasure of having him review my VR-8 speaker system which he wrote for Fi magazine, and his review put my large speaker system on the map.  I'll never forget his sense of dry wit and lack of patience with nonsense. Although his review of my VR-8 was extremely positive, he kept me grounded and continued to push me to do better work. 

For his faith in my ability, I will always be truly grateful.  Rest in Peace Harry, and know that tonight I'll play your favorite music and raise a toast in your memory.
AVS

Chazro

« Reply #13 on: 5 Nov 2014, 09:51 pm »
Love him or hate him, ALL audiophiles owe HP their gratitude for his role in furthering this hobby.  I phased out of reading the mags (TAS & Stereophile) once they changed from being digest-sized.  I still own many of those and still find them very readable, especially early TAS.  I remember how floored I was that an editor was so snarky, the letters section was the most fun of the mag!  RIP.