Berto

Re: Lampizator and Turntables
« Reply #120 on: 27 Apr 2015, 05:34 pm »
Quote from Mike owner of Audioshark in regards to Axpona 2015

"The decrease in vinyl/turntables at this show was also a big surprise."

Berto

« Reply #121 on: 27 Apr 2015, 05:52 pm »
Kris Kosiba the midwest Berning rep ( and a very fine gentleman)  had a very nice rig with a  Artisan Fidelity turntable and Lehave speaks. The sound was excellent :thumb:

He contacted me right before the show to get a L4 as a source for Axpona and after. Taking advantage of the extra exposure , I fast tracked him a DAC and Lukasz Fikus himself brought it to Chicago.

Michael Fremer spend 1.5 hrs in his room. I was told he enjoyed the Lampi alot, but he's a diehard vinyl guy.

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/artisan-fidelity-turntables-drew-me-sound-made-me-stay

dminches

« Reply #122 on: 27 Apr 2015, 06:34 pm »

I did not feel there was a decrease.  It seems to hover between 30-40% of the rooms, at least the full sized gear.  What has really decreased are the number of optical drives.

bonzo75

« Reply #123 on: 27 Apr 2015, 08:11 pm »
Compared in two systems over the weekend, both with esoteric K01. It blew the esoteric away, both owners agreed, though one of them had a 10mhz clock which to me seemed to make it close.

The one without the clock also had a shindo TT. Also a Shindo pre (second from top), Shindo monos, and the higher range audionote speaker. I could see where the TT was better, but didn't necessarily prefer it. It did a different soundstage to the Lampi. Seemed deep on the sides, but not in the middle, a bit loose. Tonality of some instruments was better, though less defined, though that seemed to be more vinyl vs CD thing. Lampi was played via SPDIF through esoteric

Geardaddy

« Reply #124 on: 27 Apr 2015, 09:18 pm »
From former B7 owner:

"Several rigs clearly beat my Big7...

Basis 1400 with rega rb300 tonearm and denon cart through supratek phono, very modest set up but sounded way more dense organic and smooth...

Townshend rock 7 with coincident phono, forgot what arm and cartridge....

Brinkmann, too extensive to list componnets, it was sota...."

and

"U are talking about a basis 1400 tt, very modest, but made my digital rig sound thin and uninvolving in comparison side by side....I was embarrassed to say the least and just glad I didn't talk too much sh... before hand....it was a big lesson for me..."

Again, this is obviously a matter of system building, taste, etc.  I still prefer vinyl and I have no skin in the game.  A TT is still in my future regardless.

bonzo75

« Reply #125 on: 27 Apr 2015, 09:24 pm »
This is interesting, I haven't heard the Basis but I heard Townshend once against dcs puccini which I found very impressive. But very noisy. It had a real feel to it

bonzo75

« Reply #126 on: 27 Apr 2015, 09:28 pm »
If I go TT it will be a 10 - 15k TT. No way can I have a Lampi 7 plus a modded PC with linear supplies, because then costs go up from 20 - 30k for front end only. If one goes TT, for me the dac should be minimal,for convenience streaming.

Geardaddy

« Reply #127 on: 27 Apr 2015, 09:30 pm »
and this individual had a SOTA computer as well.  The burning question is how to make digital more palatable....possibly at the transport level?  The L7 is the best I have heard in making it palatable but I still find my molars clenched from time to time....

Geardaddy

« Reply #128 on: 27 Apr 2015, 09:31 pm »
If I go TT it will be a 10 - 15k TT. No way can I have a Lampi 7 plus a modded PC with linear supplies, because then costs go up from 20 - 30k for front end only. If one goes TT, for me the dac should be minimal,for convenience streaming.

agreed

sfox7076

« Reply #129 on: 28 Apr 2015, 01:04 am »
Not sure I follow that logic, but ok. 

bonzo75

« Reply #130 on: 28 Apr 2015, 06:56 am »
Images on what I posted yesterday

bmoura

« Reply #131 on: 29 Apr 2015, 08:10 am »

That is interesting.  Especially when you have companies like Acoustic Sounds investing in Vinyl LPs further, buying additional pressing plants, releasing and announcing more titles.
I wonder what the landscape will look like for Vinyl at the upcoming Newport Beach (The Show) and Denver (RMAF) audio shows.

bonzo75

« Reply #132 on: 29 Apr 2015, 04:01 pm »
So, this quote is from the owner of a Goldmund Reference TT, Goldmund CD player, and Devialiet. His digital is mostly streaming throup a normal desktop into a Devialet. He owns both the 100k+ Goldmund Epilogue Speakers as well as the Tune Audio Anima (my favoriote speaker)

"I mainly listen to classical music. There the loudness wars have not encroached. I do have a couple of LPs which I prefer to the CD version (possibly because of the extra reverb added by my record player) but in general CD is better for classical releases IME.

And that is with a record playing system very, very much more expensive than my CD playing system, though IME the difference due to spending more on a record player is hugely more than spending more on a CD player."

Source http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?103754-High-End-Digital-vs-Vinyl-Sound-quality&highlight=kronos

Well he lives not far. In June or so I will probably head over with my B7. I also located a Kronos and a Clearaudio Innovation close to me, so that should be fun.

wisnon

« Reply #133 on: 30 Apr 2015, 11:32 am »
Tell him to stay FAAAARR away from the Goldmund Logus Anatta speaker system or he may find himself $250K poorer (Speaker and Mimesis processor cost).

That system was astonishingly good.

bonzo75

« Reply #134 on: 30 Apr 2015, 01:06 pm »
Tell him to stay FAAAARR away from the Goldmund Logus Anatta speaker system or he may find himself $250K poorer (Speaker and Mimesis processor cost).

That system was astonishingly good.

Animas will be his last speaker. I think they will be my last speakers too, when I can get around to buying them. Only problem then is will I get bored settling down. With Hifi it's good to keep playing the field like a teenager rather than settling down like a guy in the 80s

Geardaddy

« Reply #135 on: 30 Apr 2015, 02:19 pm »
Animas will be his last speaker. I think they will be my last speakers too, when I can get around to buying them. Only problem then is will I get bored settling down. With Hifi it's good to keep playing the field like a teenager rather than settling down like a guy in the 80s

Bonzo, you get a gold star for self-insight.  At least you understand and are aware of your pathology. :lol:

The Goldmund stuff looks like fun.  Dale Pitcher is a fan and credits them with being at the forefront of mechanical grounding, etc.  True engineers at work.  What would they think of Lampi?  Will the scopes be pulled out?

wisnon

« Reply #136 on: 30 Apr 2015, 03:27 pm »
Goldmund actually made a tube amp (one only) back in the day. I have a picture.

Goldmund is SS focussed, so they would not like Lampi tech. LoL

They are also not DSD focussed as they are really into DRC.

Geardaddy

« Reply #137 on: 30 Apr 2015, 07:47 pm »
Goldmund actually made a tube amp (one only) back in the day. I have a picture.

Goldmund is SS focussed, so they would not like Lampi tech. LoL

They are also not DSD focussed as they are really into DRC.

I know...it was a jest.  Lampi is witchcraft or alchemy to Swiss engineers.....

wisnon

« Reply #138 on: 1 May 2015, 08:52 am »
Not to Dartzeel or CH, they both would love to meet Lukasz and have a chat. They are intruigued about the "other side", as they are totally in the SS world.

Herve will get to hear the B7 in about a month and is excited (like a true audiophile). They are always curious to hear what others are doiing and are always supportive of other designers who are doing impressive work. I find these guys to have a LOT of professional courtesy.