HiRez News

Mike Nomad

Re: HiRez News (update: HDTRACKS has The Who's Tommy in 24/96)
« Reply #60 on: 13 Mar 2011, 10:00 pm »
The Tommy isn't sourced from SACD, but from a 2 channel mix. HDTRACKS converts SACD to 88.2, not 96.

BTW, I emailed Michael Fremer,who's quoted as endorsing the files on the HDTracks website, and he confirmed that he very much likes the tracks. Says they are the best version he's heard other than his original Track Records LP. If you're in the US you probably don't have that version but a crummy sounding Decca America or MCA version

Which 2 channel mix? Is HDtrack going to use mixes with the original, sweetened, drum tracks, or the clean ones from the DVD-A & SACD releases? I'll take the mixes with the clean drum tracks over any version released previous.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #61 on: 13 Mar 2011, 11:38 pm »
Maybe someone who has downloaded the album can comment on the drum track. I am curios about the sound quality.

Nels Ferre

« Reply #62 on: 14 Mar 2011, 01:51 am »
The drums sound much cleaner than the MFSL version I also own. Happy as a clam here once I get a full length final track.

firedog

« Reply #63 on: 14 Mar 2011, 08:50 am »
Which 2 channel mix? Is HDtrack going to use mixes with the original, sweetened, drum tracks, or the clean ones from the DVD-A & SACD releases? I'll take the mixes with the clean drum tracks over any version released previous.

I don't remember where I read it, but apparently it is a mix based on the work done at the same time as the SACD and DVD-A.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #64 on: 14 Mar 2011, 03:25 pm »
I don't remember where I read it, but apparently it is a mix based on the work done at the same time as the SACD and DVD-A.

Those are the original drum tracks, before Chris Stamp messed with them for the original release.

The MFSL release Nels mentioned uses the same mix everyone else does, prior to the DVD-A & SACD.

werd

« Reply #65 on: 15 Mar 2011, 03:56 pm »
Was there a promo code off HD tracks for "Tommy" ?

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #66 on: 15 Mar 2011, 04:01 pm »
Was there a promo code off HD tracks for "Tommy" ?

yes "save4minutesattheend" gets you a.........just kidding.   :)

Seems HDTracks doesn't quite get it yet.  They are sending out response letters that state the extra songs on Tommy were a special pressing, not available on HDtracks, and that most sites only sell the 24 song album!!  The requesters, however, don't give a crap....they sent these letters to tell HDTracks NOT about an extra song, but about the 24th song being cut off by 4 minutes!!!  Yikes.

werd

« Reply #67 on: 15 Mar 2011, 04:29 pm »
yes "save4minutesattheend" gets you a.........just kidding.   :)

Seems HDTracks doesn't quite get it yet.  They are sending out response letters that state the extra songs on Tommy were a special pressing, not available on HDtracks, and that most sites only sell the 24 song album!!  The requesters, however, don't give a crap....they sent these letters to tell HDTracks NOT about an extra song, but about the 24th song being cut off by 4 minutes!!!  Yikes.

Well i am trying dl it right now and its not available. The error keeps refering to my internet connection but they do not have the capacity to host files imo. I got pretty quick dl from them yesterday but anything popular- forget it.

werd

« Reply #68 on: 15 Mar 2011, 08:37 pm »
I guess servers are down right now at HD. I guess i will have to wait it out.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #69 on: 18 Mar 2011, 01:58 am »
I downloaded the album this afternoon, but the last track is still the short version.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #70 on: 18 Mar 2011, 02:00 am »
Yeah, and a "short version" is one thing...this is a song that is clearly cu.......      :wink:

werd

« Reply #71 on: 26 Mar 2011, 01:50 am »
I guess they fixed this, they sent me an email asking me to re-dll the last song.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #72 on: 26 Mar 2011, 02:11 am »
Nice.  I read that they did, and saw the listing on the site now shows the correct 7 plus minutes.  Great that they're making you whole.

Nels Ferre

« Reply #73 on: 26 Mar 2011, 02:36 am »
I haven't received an email yet. I sent them a notification, so I would expect one.

How does one dl just the final track? I checked my account and just see a list of what I bought there (but no links to re dl anything.)

I guess I'll just head back to my blues fest (Johnny Winter right now.)

firedog

« Reply #74 on: 26 Mar 2011, 10:55 am »
You should get a download link for the track in an email

djmckaytx

• Legacy Whispers, Legacy Amps, Grover Cables
« Reply #75 on: 27 Mar 2011, 11:15 am »
I got my "replacement code" and re-ordering procedure.  It worked out just fine.

Since I spent a good amount of time and energy beating the crap out of HDTracks customer service over this matter, I thought it would be good form to write them and thank them for finally solving the issue.  While the effect on their long term customer base would certainly have been undesirable, they could have just taken the money and stuck with their original line of "hey, it's not OUR fault."

I will say in response to those who may now be considering purchasing this that I think this is the best sounding version I own.  I have UK Tracks vinyl, Redbook (very old), MCA Gold, Japanese Mini LP, MoFi, and SACD.  Certainly the most natural sounding to me.  YMMV, of course.   :)

P. S. I also noticed on the re-download that the DL speed was greatly improved...either they had no server traffic at that moment (unlikely since it was the middle of the day in the US), or they've upgraded something.  Much better transfer speed.

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #76 on: 28 Apr 2011, 09:03 pm »
New HDTracks Stone's releases, plus Beck-Sea Change out today

spartan2

« Reply #77 on: 3 May 2011, 12:46 pm »
Hi,
New to the forum. I have bought the 24/96 tommy, but was frustrated with the quality.
JM

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #79 on: 11 May 2011, 02:17 am »
This has even more details:
http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/latest/get-immersed-in-pink-floyds-back-catalogue-with-outtakes-rarities-and.html

The DSOTM and WYWH 5.1 surround presentations will be available both as DTS DVD versions (448 and 640 kbps) and 24/96 BluRay versions. And for each album, two surround mixes will be available: for DSOTM, the Guthrie 5.1 (previously heard on SACD) and original Alan Parsons quad mix (on bootleg DVD-Audio)...for WYWH the original quad version (floating around, very good) and a brand new Guthrie 5.1!!