My Capacitor comparisons: Mundorfs, VCap, Sonicap Platinum, Auricap, etc

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Jupiter .22 uF Copper Foil Wax Paper caps came yesterday.  Got them installed today.  Even with no break in I can say they are already better than the 10uF Clarity Cap MR's they replaced.  Of course using the .22uF value also let me remove the .015uF teflon caps I had on the inputs of the amp.  So I was correct - going to a smaller, better quality cap and removing an extra cap from the signal path all conspired to get quite a bit better sound.  Nice.

Tomy2Tone

Jupiter .22 uF Copper Foil Wax Paper caps came yesterday.  Got them installed today.  Even with no break in I can say they are already better than the 10uF Clarity Cap MR's they replaced.  Of course using the .22uF value also let me remove the .015uF teflon caps I had on the inputs of the amp.  So I was correct - going to a smaller, better quality cap and removing an extra cap from the signal path all conspired to get quite a bit better sound.  Nice.

I know with more time you'll have a better handle on the Jupiters, but can you try and describe them vs the MR's?  I've had MR's before on another set of speakers and liked them but I have V-caps now on my current set. The thought of changing to Jupiters(if possible) is on my mind...

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
What were the measured difference of the values? 

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio

That's why we use Jupiter in our crossovers.

Tyson

What were the measured difference of the values? 

Nelson uses 10uF coupling caps on the input board on the BA3, which gives full range response.  I had 10uF Clarity Caps in there for that reason.  But my amp only drives the midrange drivers on my speakers, so I had a .015 teflon cap on the input of the amp to limit bass below 200hz.  When I swapped the .22 uF Jupiters for the 10uF Clarity Caps, the input board itself would limit bass below 150hz.  So I was able to remove the .015uF teflon caps on the inputs. 

Does this answer your question, or were you asking something else?

Tyson

I know with more time you'll have a better handle on the Jupiters, but can you try and describe them vs the MR's?  I've had MR's before on another set of speakers and liked them but I have V-caps now on my current set. The thought of changing to Jupiters(if possible) is on my mind...

Just sound more real.  I suspect it's a combo of using actual copper vs aluminum and tin foil, but even more importantly using good methods of vibration damping/control, i.e. the paper and wax.  I recently switched inductors to the Jantzen copper/wax and noticed a similar leap in realism. 

It makes me sad though, because now I am going to want to eventually change the caps in my speakers to Jupiters and that will not be cheap AT ALL.  Sigh.  Haha, I'm not really sad, just joking.  I'm actually very happy to have my amp sounding so awesome, and I'm even glad to know that my speakers are not yet at their peak sound yet either, they can also be improved.  Just need to save up some $$....

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
Does this answer your question, or were you asking something else?
Did you use an L/C/R meter to make sure you were replacing the cap value with a direct replacement so you're not being fooled in the sonic department b/c you're actually changing the value?  It's a common mistake...

Tyson

Did you use an L/C/R meter to make sure you were replacing the cap value with a direct replacement so you're not being fooled in the sonic department b/c you're actually changing the value?  It's a common mistake...

I think you missed my point that I am deliberately using a different sized cap than the original one.  The replacement cap is a different value than the original cap and that's by design.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
I think you missed my point that I am deliberately using a different sized cap than the original one.  The replacement cap is a different value than the original cap and that's by design.
Then how can you say it sounds better due to the cap?   :scratch:   Changing two variables...

Tyson

That's exactly what I said - I changed a few things at once and I'm pretty sure that all of them together added up to the change I'm hearing.  If pressed I'd even go so far to say that being able to remove the .015uF teflon cap from the input was probably the biggest change factor. 

To be perfectly fair I'd have to buy a pair of .22uF Clarity MR caps and swap them in for the .22uF Jupiter caps.  But that's pretty wasteful from the $$ standpoint.  However if anyone reading this thread wants to send me a .22uF Clarity Cap MR I'd be more than happy to do the comparison in my system.

I probably should also quantify the level of changes I'm talking about here - swapping out parts makes a difference, but no where near the same level of improvement of moving to a house with a dedicated audio room.  And I'm also in the process of putting in more room treatments, which also have a larger impact than part swapping.  As always, I recommend people get their room set up well before messing with any of this other stuff.

Tyson

Update on the caps - Man do these guys take their time burning in.  At first they sound amazing, but then pretty soon they go through a "muffled" stage that lasts a long, long time.  I've been running my system at least 12 hours a day since installing the caps and they are only 'just now' coming out of the muffled stage.

So, how do they sound?  It's the closest I've ever gotten to "SET sound" in my First Watt Burning Amp.  Firm, clear, transparent, and a slight glow that makes everything more beautiful.  They are not soft sounding, in fact they are very dynamic, firm, and clear.  Where the Clarity Cap MR caps were a touch on the analytical side, the Jupiters are a touch on the golden side.  Very slight.  And it makes listening to music awesome. 

PS, someone PM'd me about some other copper caps but it got deleted by accident - please pm me again. 

Folsom

I'm eager to hear a review of Lefson capacitors... anyone?

wushuliu

I'm eager to hear a review of Lefson capacitors... anyone?

Starting at $250+ per cap you might be waiting a while.

Folsom

Yes I know... I would consider using them in an amplifier (commercially) but they don't do samples for businesses and no one has heard them. It would require 4 of them, so...  :duh: I've sent out samples and done lots of free stuff and I don't even make $ yet. They're kinda shooting themselves in the foot.

Ric Schultz

Clarity cap has a new baby.....the CMR.....will be interesting to see how they fare versus the "tired and old MRs".

http://www.claritycap.co.uk/products/cmr.php

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Clarity cap has a new baby.....the CMR.....will be interesting to see how they fare versus the "tired and old MRs".

http://www.claritycap.co.uk/products/cmr.php

I haven't tried them yet... I think the copper-connect tech is also in the ESA line... but reducing grain boundaries is very beneficial, and the whole point of OCC wire, so I think it'll be a nice improvement. Right now I'm using ESA + Jupiter copper bypass for a 50 uF midrange high pass filter with excellent results, will try the new ESAs soon.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
Yes, they are called CMR and CSA.

We are testing them right now as we speak.

I don't believe they can better Jupiters though.

wushuliu

Yes, they are called CMR and CSA.

We are testing them right now as we speak.

I don't believe they can better Jupiters though.

Any thoughts on these yet?

Tyson

I put in a pair of .22 Jupiter caps into my speaker crossovers on my Serenity Acoustic Super 7's.  I used them to bypass the 10uf tweeter cap and the 15uf midrange cap, both of which are ClarityCap MR.  The improvement was, uhm, substantial.  It's like switching from a good SS amp to a good tube amp.  Less edge, less hardness, more natural instrumental sound.  Greater clarity at lower levels, which means I have to turn the volume up less but can still hear everything.  Better defined soundstage space and instrumental placement within that space.  Things like that.

Folsom

What are the caps you bypassed?