Everything Louder Than Everything Else!!!! The Metal Thread

GentleBender

Re: Everything Louder Than Everything Else!!!! The Metal Thread
« Reply #520 on: 1 Feb 2016, 09:24 pm »
Anyone else pick up the latest Megadeth album Dystopia? This is my favorite release from them since Countdown to Extinction. The crew Mustaine put together has great chemistry. David Ellefson weaves through Chris Adler's tireless drumming with Kiko and Dave laying the sick guitar tracks throughout the entire album. Megadeth may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I really am enjoying this album. :thumb:

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #521 on: 2 Feb 2016, 01:35 am »
Anyone else pick up the latest Megadeth album Dystopia? This is my favorite release from them since Countdown to Extinction. The crew Mustaine put together has great chemistry. David Ellefson weaves through Chris Adler's tireless drumming with Kiko and Dave laying the sick guitar tracks throughout the entire album. Megadeth may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I really am enjoying this album. :thumb:

Good album - classic thrash metal lives!   :rock:

monte

« Reply #522 on: 2 Feb 2016, 02:20 am »
Hey GB, just how awesome do your aurora's sound listening to metal. These will be my next pair of speakers.

GentleBender

« Reply #523 on: 2 Feb 2016, 01:31 pm »
Hey GB, just how awesome do your aurora's sound listening to metal. These will be my next pair of speakers.
In my system they sound great! They like some power to really sing, but the Auroras don't collapse even with bands like Pantera, Megadeth, Metallica and Tool. They are an amazing two-way speaker and mine don't even have the Transducer Labs N26C-G ceramic tweeter the newer version has! They play other genres of music just as well. That waveguide makes such a large sweet spot that group listening is spectacular! In fact one of my buddies said that he feels like the cops are going to bust into the room at any moment when we get into it and have the room jamming.  :rotflmao:

JoshK

« Reply #524 on: 3 Feb 2016, 01:34 am »
Haven't listened to it yet.  I find myself too distracted these days with bands to check them out, but that is admitting a bias.  I liked two of their albums a great deal, Countdown and a more modern one, can't recall off hand.  By the time I really got into metal I was already into a different style.

GentleBender

« Reply #525 on: 6 Feb 2016, 01:23 pm »
I'm more of an old-school metal guy, but enjoy trying some of the bands listed here. I do like understanding the words, but if the music is good enough I can let the scream/howl/growl slide.  :lol:

JoshK

« Reply #526 on: 6 Feb 2016, 04:43 pm »
It took me a long time to warm up to death metal style vocals, but some guys are really a lot better at it than others.  Opeth, Lamb of God and In Flames were my three bands that warmed me up to it.   I really like the melodic death metal subgenre, and the death metal vocals really do fit that style well.   Mors Principium Est being my favorite in that subgenre and also one of the better vocalists in my opinion. 

Folsom

« Reply #527 on: 7 Feb 2016, 08:36 am »
Complex guitar and drums.  Really enjoying this band.

Mind telling us who they are? I can't read the smoke.

FireGuy

« Reply #528 on: 7 Feb 2016, 01:17 pm »
Mind telling us who they are? I can't read the smoke.

Shylmagoghnar...  Emergence.  Product of the Netherlands.  Progressive/Atmospheric Melodic Blackened Death Metal.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #529 on: 7 Feb 2016, 10:11 pm »

Mastadon - Leviathan 

Samples

JoshK

« Reply #530 on: 8 Feb 2016, 01:44 am »
Mastodon will always get my vote.  I like their  mix of sludge (or stoner) metal with progressive elements and a bit of groove.

JoshK

« Reply #531 on: 9 Feb 2016, 04:48 pm »
Came across a good playlist on Youtube.  Youtube is what I most often listen to at work with headphones while I am programming on doing research.    I like melodeath, but am not intimately familiar with all the different bands.   This is a great way to see which you like and don't.   There is definitely some of both on it.

https://youtu.be/PZbejCdyg2c

milford3

« Reply #532 on: 9 Feb 2016, 07:04 pm »
Came across a good playlist on Youtube.  Youtube is what I most often listen to at work with headphones while I am programming on doing research.    I like melodeath, but am not intimately familiar with all the different bands.   This is a great way to see which you like and don't.   There is definitely some of both on it.

https://youtu.be/PZbejCdyg2c

Really enjoying this playlist.   :thumb:

JoshK

« Reply #533 on: 10 Feb 2016, 10:10 pm »
Glad you like it.  There is definitely some great bands I've never heard of that are worth checking out.  Quite a number of them are from Aus, not sure what they are putting in the drinking water there.

Orpheus Omega - I have two albums       
Meridian - ST EP  (really unique)               
Ouroboros - Glorification of a Myth  !!  This is tech death/trash but it is very melodic, so I'd say splitting hairs
Elysian - Wires of Creation   More traditional melodeath
Parasite Inc. - Time Tears Down  (German)   

Links are to their bandcamp pages where you can sample them or buy the CDs/digital downloads (FLAC). 
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2016, 02:52 pm by JoshK »

JoshK

« Reply #534 on: 17 Feb 2016, 03:52 pm »
How about discussion of some of the best DVDs and Blu-rays of metal?   I have been collecting a lot of concert DVD/BRs, and occasionally some good ones come up even in this genre.

I'll try to do some very brief reviews of some that I own:

Opeth - In Live Concert at the Royal Albert Hall (DVD)  (PQ: 9/10, SQ: 8/10, Perf: 9/10)
This one is popular on a lot of meta lists out there for good reason.  Its a great band and a great venue and everything comes together.  For metal, it is hard to beat.

Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize  (PQ:10/10, SQ:10/10, Perf: 10/10)
This is only borderline metal IMO, but still I'll give it mention as it is the best BR concert I own hands down.

Gojira - The Flesh Alive (PQ:8/10, SQ:9/10, Perf: 8/10)
I love this band and this concert really helped propel my love for them.  It's really good to see them live and this BR is well done.  (I am being picky on my standards).

Nine Inch Nails - Live: Beside You in Time (PQ:7-8/10, SQ:8-10/10, Perf: 10/10)
This is a fantastic concert BR, one of the best, but the fact that the venue keeps changing every couple songs means there is some variability in the SQ and PQ.   Still I love that they did it that way.

Katatonia - Sanctitude (PQ:-, SQ:-, Perf: -)
Haven't watched yet, so place holder.

In Flames - Used and Abused (DVD) (PQ:6/10, SQ:7/10, Perf: 7/10)
This is some good In Flames at their height.  This is still very worthy of owning if  you like IF, but it doesn't quite stand up to some of the best productions that some of the latest BRs have.  Still quite worthwhile.

FireGuy

« Reply #535 on: 18 Feb 2016, 10:59 pm »
JoshK - Therion is a band I've posted on the Music thread more than once.  They have an excellent and extensive discography and this DVD captures the performance of their sub genres quite well.

JoshK

« Reply #536 on: 19 Feb 2016, 12:12 am »
I will check them out.   Your Shylmagoghnar recommendation was spot on!  I, as a rule, don't really enjoy black metal, but that is good stuff.   If you like techy death, check out Ouroboros, both albums are great, but the Glorification of a Myth album is an epicness of riffs.  The later one is equally as good in my opinion but quite different and supported by an orchestral. 

milford3

« Reply #537 on: 19 Feb 2016, 12:14 am »
JoshK - Therion is a band I've posted on the Music thread more than once.  They have an excellent and extensive discography and this DVD captures the performance of their sub genres quite well.

+1 on Therion.  I have this DVD on now.

JoshK

« Reply #538 on: 24 Feb 2016, 05:34 am »
holy hell, just came across this gem.   Cynic just released a whole concert (good quality) for free.
https://youtu.be/fGe1dBoF2Gw

Its metal, but it might be for the more adventurous prog fans cause they aren't too heavy and super techy.

Brad

« Reply #539 on: 24 Feb 2016, 01:42 pm »
New Anthrax releases Friday 2/26  For All Kings

I've only heard the song they pre-released, but it appears to be a strong follow up to Worship Music