Linear Tube Audio Micro-Zotl amp On GR-Research Super Vs.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
Re: Linear Tube Audio Micro-Zotl amp On GR-Research Super Vs.
« Reply #20 on: 27 Nov 2017, 07:26 pm »

The power output of the main amp, be it SET or push pull, is not consequential in your scenario. It is the gain of the amps in question that has to be matched, not their output.

Shakey

I stand corrected, you and Tyson are certianly correct. For some reason I lump those two together even thou I know they are different.

There does seem to be some correlation thou, I have yet to find a low watt amp that would allow me to crank up the volume on my Super Vs. You would think at 97db that wouldn't be the case. Just my experience thou...

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #21 on: 27 Nov 2017, 10:13 pm »
Thanks for chiming in Danny. No, it's was not a balance issue at all. Most of the posts point this out and that is NOT the issue at all. The amp was severely stressed and broken sounding, almost like clipping yet we even tried super soft volumes. Your suggestion of running the subs off the preamp is probably the answer if the crossover is not the issue.
Anyway, none of it matters as it was just a quick little effort to hear the amp and it did not work. I am happy with my Tube Research Labs amp, so no sweat. Just wanted to hear the Zotl as my friend absolutely loves his.

Rocket Ronny

The impedance of the speaker itself presents a very easy load for tube amps. There is even an impedance compensation circuit to flatten out the impedance rise in the crossover region. The P-Audio woofer itself has a high impedance at Fs, but that shouldn't cause any problems either.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #22 on: 27 Nov 2017, 11:38 pm »
I stand corrected, you and Tyson are certianly correct. For some reason I lump those two together even thou I know they are different.

There does seem to be some correlation thou, I have yet to find a low watt amp that would allow me to crank up the volume on my Super Vs. You would think at 97db that wouldn't be the case. Just my experience thou...

One thing you might do is put a small capacitor in-line between your preamp and amp, so that the amp never sees any bass signal in the first place. 

I did that with my First Watt BA-3 amp (30 watts).  I built some interconnects with a .22uf cap built in line.  But then I realized I could just reduce the cap on the input board of the amp from 10uf down to 2.2uf and accomplish the same thing.  So that's what I did.

It really does give you more headroom with low powered amps.

EDIT - Oh, I missed that the amp was .75 watts, not 75 watts in your first post.  Yeeeaaaahhhh, less than 1 watt is probably not enough :P  Plus OTLs kinda suck in general (IMO, hahaha). 

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #23 on: 28 Nov 2017, 03:28 am »
.....  Plus OTLs kinda suck in general (IMO, hahaha).
Seriously?  Not cool.  Bad generalization. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #24 on: 28 Nov 2017, 04:09 am »
Seriously?  Not cool.  Bad generalization. 

OK, you're right.  Let me amend that - every OTL that I've heard has kinda sucked :P 

Besides, that's just, like, my opinion, man!  :D

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #25 on: 28 Nov 2017, 05:03 am »
Okie Dokie

Wind Chaser

« Reply #26 on: 28 Nov 2017, 05:57 pm »
That gentleman says... Live music is better, bumper stickers should be issued.

All in favor of what he said, signify by sayin' "ay".