Wireless Sub options HELP

lrz911

Wireless Sub options HELP
« on: 23 Aug 2012, 04:53 am »
 A newbie quest.to few posts to PM...
 Velodyne Powered Sub in living /listening area,
 distance to units and  home  architecture  precludes hardwiring. Tried a wireless radio freq option but it has been acoustically unappealing.. boomy and when someone walks by or door opens the signal is interupted and the woofer booms ubnoxiously. 
Thanks for your input.

medium jim

Re: Wireless Sub options HELP
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2012, 04:44 pm »
A newbie quest.to few posts to PM...
 Velodyne Powered Sub in living /listening area,
 distance to units and  home  architecture  precludes hardwiring. Tried a wireless radio freq option but it has been acoustically unappealing.. boomy and when someone walks by or door opens the signal is interupted and the woofer booms ubnoxiously. 
Thanks for your input.

Welcome to the AC and I apologize for the delay in approving your post....I'm sure someone will be able to provide an answer!

Jim

lrz911

« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2012, 06:59 pm »
.... any suggestions BASS PHEMES ?

ACHiPo

« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2015, 10:18 pm »
Very old thread, but I'm also interested in multiple subs (3-4) with all or all but 1 running wirelessly.  Any recommendations?  I'm trying to get info from Hsu, and Dayton makes a wireless send/receive, but will only work with one sub.

srb

« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2015, 11:53 pm »
Atlantic Technology has the WA-50 Wireless System that can be used with additional receivers that are sold separately.  Outlaw Audio appears to also sell the system under their label as the OAW-3.

They do operate at 2.4GHz and could potentially be affected by other wireless devices, but they say that in most cases they are not.  All wireless devices like this have some built in latency, and these are specified as 10ms maximum.  If you will be using them with an HT processor you could likely compensate for the delay, although I don't know how much of a concern it might or might not be in a 2 channel system.

Steve

ACHiPo

« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2015, 05:06 am »
I also found that Definitive sells a wireless module for their subs that will handle up to 4 subs.  Does anyone have any experience with Definitive?  I had some of their satellites years ago and they were decent.  The sub that I'm considering from them is the Supercube 8000 with an 11" driver and 2 12" passive radiators for $1500 plus $149 for the wireless kit.

The Hsu's for $2100/pr seem like a better deal if I can get them.  I'll also check out Outlaw and Atlantic.  I'm also scratching my head about how I can use wired subs, and if I can figure it out I'll just go with Duke's Swarm system.

ACHiPo

« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2015, 05:17 am »
Atlantic Technology has the WA-50 Wireless System that can be used with additional receivers that are sold separately.  Outlaw Audio appears to also sell the system under their label as the OAW-3.

They do operate at 2.4GHz and could potentially be affected by other wireless devices, but they say that in most cases they are not.  All wireless devices like this have some built in latency, and these are specified as 10ms maximum.  If you will be using them with an HT processor you could likely compensate for the delay, although I don't know how much of a concern it might or might not be in a 2 channel system.

Steve
Steve,
Thanks.  The Atlantic Technology offering is confusing, as the only transmitter I saw was $400 for the kit, and $89 for an additional receiver.  The Outlaw price seemed a bit more realistic at $189 for the first pair and $69 for additional receivers.

Latency is an interesting issue.  Most of the subs I've found have latency in the 10 - 25 ms range, which should be within the phase adjustment on each sub, and in the range of time difference for different placement in the room.
Evan

srb

« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2015, 05:43 am »
The Atlantic Technology offering is confusing, as the only transmitter I saw was $400 for the kit, and $89 for an additional receiver.  The Outlaw price seemed a bit more realistic at $189 for the first pair and $69 for additional receivers.

Evan,

I saw a few vendors that were selling the system for ~ $200 which is more in line with the Outlaw.  Perhaps the $400 set you were looking at was the Atlantic WA-5030 system like the one I saw on eBay which included a remote controlled 30W/30W amplifier?

If this was the hardware I ended up buying I would likely get the Outlaw version anyway, who have a known level of customer service.

Steve

ACHiPo

« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2015, 03:00 pm »
Steve,
Yes it was the 3030.  I only saw the WA-30 available as a receiver, not a pair.

Are you happy with your Outlaw version?  How many subs are you running, distance, etc? 

My room is not that big (~17.5' x 15.5') but I'm putting my electronics in an open closet in the back of the room, and the subs will be tucked in niches and behind furniture, so I'm concerned with the "line of sight" requirements of most of these systems that I find.

As for potential interference we have wireless phones at 2.4 GHz, wireless internet, and Sonos (not sure what frequency it runs on?)

Thanks,
Evan

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2015, 04:33 pm »
Hi, Evan.

Do you wish to use wireless due to distances involved; fear of tripping over cables; or....?

The reason why I ask:

It occurred to me the you could run cables down through the floor to the crawl space below and back up again at the location of each sub. In your situation, is this practical? [Of course, this assumes there is a crawl space below your listening room.  :) ]

Another idea occurs to me: (drawing from my fractured memory of your room layout) are there locations beside walls in the room which allow placement of subwoofer stacks? Dual (or even triple) sub drivers per cabinet placed in such locations may not equal Duke's swarm, but surely would provide you with extra bass yet preclude the need to go wireless.

Just a couple ideas for you.

Best of luck.

Michael

srb

« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2015, 11:45 pm »
Steve,
Yes it was the 3030.  I only saw the WA-30 available as a receiver, not a pair.
Are you happy with your Outlaw version?  How many subs are you running, distance, etc?

I don't own either one, I was just passing on what I had seen in my travels.

I'm assuming the Atlantic and Outlaw are the same by their looks, however one thing has me wondering:
Atlantic says range is 150 ft (50m) and 300 ft (100m) line-of-sight.  Outlaw says 50 ft through walls and 100 ft line-of-sight.

Are they the same and Outlaw meant to say meters instead of feet?

Edit:  I looked at the Outlaw OAW3 Owner's Manual and in there they say 50m/100m, so it would appear that the webpage text erroneously says feet instead of meters.

I would at least pursue a phone discussion with Outlaw as they probably have some customer feedback from various installation scenarios.

Steve

ACHiPo

« Reply #11 on: 30 Mar 2015, 01:22 am »
Hi, Evan.

Do you wish to use wireless due to distances involved; fear of tripping over cables; or....?

The reason why I ask:

It occurred to me the you could run cables down through the floor to the crawl space below and back up again at the location of each sub. In your situation, is this practical? [Of course, this assumes there is a crawl space below your listening room.  :) ]

Another idea occurs to me: (drawing from my fractured memory of your room layout) are there locations beside walls in the room which allow placement of subwoofer stacks? Dual (or even triple) sub drivers per cabinet placed in such locations may not equal Duke's swarm, but surely would provide you with extra bass yet preclude the need to go wireless.

Just a couple ideas for you.

Best of luck.

Michael

Michael,
The idea of wireless is appealing for its installation simplicity, plus it seems like the latency would not be a big deal at subwoofer frequencies given delay and phase adjustment on most subs.  The traffic pattern in my room is complicated so I'd want to definitely route cables under the floor if I don't go wireless.  While I have access to an unfinished space below most of my listening room, I'd still need to punch 4 holes in the floor and carpet in addition to the floor outlets I'm installing. I still may go this route if wireless proves too daunting.

Here's a plan of my room:

The stack idea is a good one--I'm already planning on having a sub above floor level (although haven't figured out how just yet--one possibility is to put a small sub on the back corner of my desk which is about mid-sidewall).  I'm also considering the 2x15 stack from  Rythmik as 2 of the 4 subs to maybe kill two birds at once. 

My thought on the swarm implementation is to have one big mutha sub, 1-2 mid-sized subs, and 1-2 smaller subs.  Some of the subs have adjustable Q which would help with implementing the swarm idea if using identical subs.  I'd pretty much decided on ordering two of the Hsu sealed subs with wireless capability to start and see where it went from there.

Thanks for the great ideas and discussion.

Evan

ACHiPo

« Reply #12 on: 30 Mar 2015, 01:36 am »

Edit:  I looked at the Outlaw OAW3 Owner's Manual and in there they say 50m/100m, so it would appear that the webpage text erroneously says feet instead of meters.

I would at least pursue a phone discussion with Outlaw as they probably have some customer feedback from various installation scenarios.

Steve
Steve,
Great idea.  I'm going to try to give several companies a call (including Hsu) tomorrow to try to get additional information.  Based on my chat session with a guy from Crutchfield yesterday, the Definitive wireless system has a pretty good range (basically cordless phone range, which makes sense since they use the same frequency) and with latency at 10 mS timing shouldn't be a problem.  It just seems a bit steep for what it is, and I'd like to be able to continually adjust phase, or at least in 15º increments.

AC

ACHiPo

« Reply #13 on: 30 Mar 2015, 03:05 am »
I found this 5.8 Ghz system for about the same price.  They claim 1.2 ms latency.  Need to give them a call tomorrow to get more info.

Amphony wireless speaker kit

ACHiPo

« Reply #14 on: 30 Mar 2015, 05:21 pm »
I called Hsu this morning and they claim as long as the receivers and transmitter are in the same room and less than 50' away they will work well and with less than 10 mS latency.  There are 4 channels to avoid interference with cordless phones, wifi, etc.  Unfortunately the ULS15s are backordered until mid-summer.
« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2015, 02:24 am by ACHiPo »

ACHiPo

« Reply #15 on: 31 Mar 2015, 02:24 am »
I also heard back from Rythmik Audio.  They do not recommend wireless because of latency and possible interference, but if I need wireless their sub can account for up to 10 ms of delay with the variable phase adjustment.

I "chatted" with a tech from SVS who said I did need line of sight, i.e. the transmitter needs to "see" the receiver, for their 2.4 GHz transceiver (which makes no sense to me).  He also thought one sub would give me a perfectly acceptable home theater experience even though I specified it was for a 2-channel application. 

The search continues...