ModWright Oppo BDP-95 Mods?.....YES!

NutBuster

Re: ModWright Oppo BDP-95 Mods?.....YES!
« Reply #80 on: 14 Sep 2011, 04:42 am »
I'm harping; I know!
[and I knew I would/that's why I picked the profile name I did]

Q:
Those would be the Russian re-issues, correct (for both: the 5AR4 & the 6SN7 pair)?

Which Sophia for the  rectifier?
Are you familiar w/the grades?

Thank you.

Fun Fact:
I just became a TubeHead last yr; w/the purchase of a 'Flintstone' headphone unit.
My 1st chance at rolling; I went w/W.G. Telefunken's for the German integrated.
How could I go wrong?!?! ;-)
Worked out GREAT!

Just (9:09PM PST) won, paid too much for actually, a pair of K-R VT-231's.
I've gone on a rampage in the last week, buying 9 pairs & 1 single; in preparation of your tube mod.

modwright

« Reply #81 on: 15 Sep 2011, 04:46 pm »
Russian re-issue Tung-Sols and Sovtek 5AR4's, that is correct.

I like the Sophia Electric 6SN7's and Mullard, Amperex or Philips GZ34(5AR4) as tube upgrades.

Thanks,

Dan

NutBuster

« Reply #82 on: 16 Sep 2011, 02:11 am »
[No Reply Required]
Old School meets New School; too cool!

I've got an even older school coming; Holland GZ34 black base (1949).
(& not one of those Mullard Blackburn UK for Germany/Holland fakeys either! ;-) )
I figured too buy now, as prices seem too only be going up.
Some 6SN7's I've just got have gone from like forty too hundred + in six months.
And just try too find a true Holland NOS metal base 5AR4/GZ34 for under two hundred bucks!!
[and no reply requested, either :-) ]   

JG2

« Reply #83 on: 16 Sep 2011, 04:20 am »
Hi NutBuster,

I could be wrong, but I think your early production black base 5AR4 / GZ34 (Holland made) is likely 1959 production. The double 'D' getter metal base production was from perhaps 1951-1957 and was followed by the brown and black base of the same tube with the double 'D' getters.

Here is a great Philips production site with dates and photos:

http://www.tube-classics.de/TC/Tubes/Valvo%20GZ34/GZ34.htm

I am a fan of the metal base 5AR4 / GZ34 although the internals of the earliest plastic (brown/black)versions are IDENTICAL to the metal base with double 'D' getters and smooth plates.
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2011, 05:25 pm by JG2 »

dminches

« Reply #84 on: 16 Sep 2011, 11:01 am »

I am a fan of the metal base 5AR4 / GZ34 although the internals of the earliest plastic (brown/black)versions are IDENTICAL to the metal base with double 'D' getters and smooth plates.

What are the codes for the plastic base versions that are identical to the metal ones?  Can you identify them on the philips site you linked to?

klao

« Reply #85 on: 16 Sep 2011, 01:55 pm »
Is clearance space of about 1.25" or 3.0 cm. above the PS 9.0 unit provide enough ventilation? 
There is plenty of space around the unit on the rack, but only that shelf level is just 15 cm. high.
Thanks in advance, Dan.

NutBuster

« Reply #86 on: 18 Sep 2011, 03:54 am »
Hi NutBuster,

I could be wrong, but I think your early production black base 5AR4 / GZ34 (Holland made) is likely 1959 production. The double 'D' getter metal base production was from perhaps 1951-1957 and was followed by the brown and black base of the same tube with the double 'D' getters.

Here is a great Philips production site with dates and photos:

http://www.tube-classics.de/TC/Tubes/Valvo%20GZ34/GZ34.htm

Yes! '59, not '49. Good catch & thanks for clarifying. :duh:
Yes, again; I've already got that site on my faves.
Saved me a BUNCH of $$$!!!
(not mistaking UK's for Hollands/whether it said "Holland" on the tube or not)

When did you start buying GZ34?!?!
If I may ask, how much were you paying (ugh; I KNOW this is going too HURT!) for metal bases?
Have you done an Holland vs. UK shootout???

If you were going for tubes for this unit (abet w/o hearing it 1st) what might you roll w/?
Cause that's how we...  :lol:

NutBuster

« Reply #87 on: 18 Sep 2011, 05:59 am »
What are the codes for the plastic base versions that are identical to the metal ones?  Can you identify them on the philips site you linked to?
Yep!

dminches

« Reply #88 on: 18 Sep 2011, 11:49 am »
I wasn't asking if you "could" do that.  I was asking if you "would" do it.

JG2

« Reply #89 on: 18 Sep 2011, 06:21 pm »
OK.......... I began buying 5AR4/GZ34 (Mullard / UK production and Philips / Holland production) when Dan  added a tube rectified PS to the players and SWL 9.0 linestage about 7(?) or so years ago.

I bought a few metal base versions from Germany and other areas of Europe using German E-Bay as well as searching other European E-Bay sites. I figured if this was where they were produced, there may be more available and I did pretty well. I bought most 'used/tested' and only had one go bad on me in a short time. The seller was a true gentlemen and replaced it as had more in his stash! The only true (who REALLY knows?) NOS metal base I bought was VALVO branded with Holland production code and tested off the scale on my tester and I recall paying just about $200 for it. All the rest of the metal base were from perhaps $120-$180 or so. All tested very strong.

As far as finding the early Holland production plastic base GZ34 / 5AR4 that have the same apparent internal construction as the metal base, look at the photos on the site I linked to. Be SURE the etched code on the glass or bottom of the base for some versions is Holland production (X for Sittard or L for Brusels.......... not 'B' for Blackburn, British production), and has double 'D' getters. The plates will look like the later metal base versions as production shifted from the metal base to the 'modern' (and more reliable?) plastic base with the identical internal construction as the metal base. Some folks, with more time on their hand than myself, feel the early double 'D' getter Philips (Holland production) tubes made right after the metal base sound as good as the true metal base and they may be right!

« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2011, 10:18 pm by JG2 »

NutBuster

« Reply #90 on: 21 Sep 2011, 02:03 am »
JG2,

So Dan got you too?!?!
My only previous rolling was one Telefunken (which went well w/the Tele power tubes, German amp, & German 'phones & sometimes even German CD's).
Were you paying 200 bucks a tube back-in-the-day?
Have you done a metal vs. blk/br shootout?
Holland vs. UK shootout?

My excessive tube rolling this month*:
6SN7
RCA Gray Glass 3pr.
GE Short Glass 2pr.
Mouse Ears 1pr.
Black Glass 1pr. [Ken-Rad]
Sylvania Chrome Dome 1pr.
Sylvania Gray Glass 1pr.
Sylvania Off Brands 1pr. [Shield]
GZ34
Mullard MINIWATT [Brussels]
Bugle Boy [Sittard]

I'm going for the "best" European rectifier tube + the "best" pair of US pre-amp tubes.
If you have any suggestions, much appreciated.
I'm thinking (not always a good idea ;-) ) the tubes will outlive me.
As there only powering a DVD player (can you believe it! :-0 ).
Not a twenty watt amp.
What's your take on tube life for similar devices.

* as you can see, I'll become a tube seller, soon!!

EDitEDbyED:
It's worst than I remembered.
10 pr. 6SN7's
&
3 GZ4's
YIKES!!!
« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2011, 06:24 pm by NutBuster »

NutBuster

« Reply #91 on: 28 Sep 2011, 04:01 pm »

At RMAF, I will be doing A/B demo's of stock Oppo 95 and tube 95.  The SS mod 95 will be used in the Fritz speaker room.  I have never done a stock vs. modified A/B  :duh: and it is about time!

I also will have a full representation of our line, so will be able to do other product comparisons.  These 'shows' wil be scheduled throughout RMAF and times displayed on the door.

Thanks,

Dan
My GF will attend Sunday; when you can, would you post demo times here?
For all of us, of coarse.
[posting on the door is kind of too "late" if your too "late" if you know what I mean]

mjalazard

« Reply #92 on: 8 Oct 2011, 11:13 pm »
Hello Dan,
Would you suggest the Bybee Music Rail upgrade in your modded BPD 83SE?
Curious?
I'll see you at RMAF.
Mike Alazard

modwright

« Reply #93 on: 15 Oct 2011, 06:38 am »
Yes I would, one for a critical voltage supply to the DAC only!

Thanks,

Dan

jackox

« Reply #94 on: 15 Oct 2011, 08:54 am »
That would be an interesting mod to add to it!

I wonder where there is room left in the Oppo though.

modwright

« Reply #95 on: 15 Oct 2011, 02:21 pm »
It is tightest in the Oppo 95, but we have managed to install two in these units - one for each DAC and make it fit.

Thanks,

Dan

jackox

« Reply #96 on: 15 Oct 2011, 02:54 pm »
I was thinking of my very special BDP83SE which is a keeper for my secondary setup.
So packed i had to made and external clock PSU.

Maybe Bybee Rails cannot fit, but what about small Bybee Silver as close as possible to the connector of the designed wire?
What about where Small Bybee could be usefull in the BDP83?

But well, yes about Rails in the BDP95 we are currently on study.

NutBuster

« Reply #97 on: 16 Oct 2011, 03:16 am »
Dan,

Hope your enjoying RMAF.
My GF will be there Sunday too see my unit (the 95! :duh: ).
Believe it or not, you'll actually recognize her...

well, at least you'll recognize what she's wearing! ;-)

If your not busy at the time (really?!?! :scratch: ), can she play a 2 minute demo [CD-R Audio] on my 95?
If not, COMPLETELY understand!!!  :wave:

« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2011, 05:42 am by NutBuster »

dminches

« Reply #98 on: 16 Oct 2011, 01:46 pm »
Nutbuster, I saw and listened to your BDP-95. She's a beaut!  And she sounds great. You are going to love it.

Get yourself some NOS 6SN7s to really make it sing. I have the MWTP and the best I have gotten it to sound is with either a pair of Mullard ECC-32s, TS BGRP VT-231s or Sylvania 6SN7Ws with a metal base.

Enjoy.

NutBuster

« Reply #99 on: 17 Oct 2011, 06:12 am »
Nutbuster, I saw and listened to your BDP-95. She's a beaut!  And she sounds great. You are going to love it.

Get yourself some NOS 6SN7s to really make it sing. I have the MWTP and the best I have gotten it to sound is with either a pair of Mullard ECC-32s, TS BGRP VT-231s or Sylvania 6SN7Ws with a metal base.

Enjoy.
Thanks for sharing!
It was either mine or another forum member's MWI 95.
Sure wish I could have been there; what a show!!

What was your fave system?

Did you catch the "Wish You Were Here" 5.1 demo?

I'm up too my neck already in old tubes.
11 pr of 6SN7's & 3 GZ34's.
My "stars" being the KEN-RAD Black Glass w/Chrome Band GT VT-231 pr & a Bugle Boy [Sittard] (currently at the post office).
Can't wait too roll w/'em!!!