Sonore Signature Series Rendu - an audiophile network audio player

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
With the exception that you will want Minimwatch on that laptop as it makes using Minimserver much easier.

Good point Jason.

Josh, Minimwatch is a small stub of an app that can sit on ANY machine in your network.  You use it to rescan Minimserver or change settings like tag order, etc. 

JoshK

Thanks a bunch.   Yeah, I only mentioned the Oppo/Squeezebox as I will contend with that later and might give it some thought on the best solution for the Rendu.  But you helped me a great deal.  I have a QNAP NAS, so I'll look to see if it is compatible with Minimserver. 

Edit:  so on qnap's website, they offer the Minimserver download as apps for the QNAP, so I think we are good with it.   I don't know if I follow the OpenHome config, but will give it a shot.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
This is a screenshot from the Synology (and then the Bubble URL setup screen), after I installed Bubbleserver.  I'm sure the Qnap has a similar section.

vortecjr

• Facilitator
  • the sound has to be in concert with the music....
    • Sonore by Simple Design
Thanks guys for pitching in...

In BubbleUPNP Server I recommend that you name the Room as Signature Rendu-OH so you can tell things apart.

Jesus R

bavmike

Hi Jesus,

I'd just like to thank you for having enough passion for audio to take the time you took to build this incredible product! Your truly among a rare breed of forward thinkers in this industry. Congrats!

coburn

Hello
Perhaps you can help me.

I just purchased a Sonore Rendu with i2s output.
I'm having difficulty setting it up.

I have Jriver 19 running on a laptop.  It is pointing to a library on a Synology NAS server. 

The SSR is connected to my network via ethernet and connected to a Wyred4Sound DAC to the i2s input.

I went to Jriver Tools>Options>Media Network and checked the box "use media network to share this library and enable DLNA"

I looked under "Playing Now' in Jriver and I don't see anything that looks like Sonore Rendu. Nor in Windows network, I don't see any reference to Sonore Rendu

Can you give me any suggestions?

I note that JRiver wiki on DNLA suggests turning off Windows media sharing services.  Since this laptop has been used as a dedicated audio server, I removed Windows Media Sharing Services some time ago.

coburn

:thumb:
Well. False alarm. I got it working.  I think I had a loose plug in my power conditioner.

The Rendu is working perfectly.  I have Jriver reading from a library on the NAS and playing through the Rendu to W4S DAC.

I had been playing directly from a Toshiba Lap Top to the USB port in the W4S.  This is a great improvement in sound

Rusty Jefferson

...I went to Jriver Tools>Options>Media Network and checked the box "use media network to share this library and enable DLNA"...

I'm not at my computer right now so I can't check this but as I recall just below the "enabled DLNA" box is a drop down menu that has format or bit rate options that needs to be moved from the default of "mp3".  I'm sure someone will chime in about it.

Rusty Jefferson

I posted this question on another SSR thread a few days ago by mistake, so apologies for re-posting here, but that inquiry never received a reply.

I'm using the Signature Series Rendu with a NAS running Minimserver and a tablet running Bubble Upnp as a controller. The sound quality is terrific; Thanks Ted! I'd like to upgrade the controller to Roon, and I'm curious what the status of making the SSR a Roon endpoint is.  I see the new MicroRendu is a Roon endpoint, so I'm assuming the SSR would be capable with either a hardware/software change? Please advise.

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
I posted this question on another SSR thread a few days ago by mistake, so apologies for re-posting here, but that inquiry never received a reply.

I'm using the Signature Series Rendu with a NAS running Minimserver and a tablet running Bubble Upnp as a controller. The sound quality is terrific; Thanks Ted! I'd like to upgrade the controller to Roon, and I'm curious what the status of making the SSR a Roon endpoint is.  I see the new MicroRendu is a Roon endpoint, so I'm assuming the SSR would be capable with either a hardware/software change? Please advise.

I asked this a few months ago. No plans to support Roon on the SSR or any new Sonore device that might have I2S and Roon.

Rusty Jefferson

I asked this a few months ago. No plans to support Roon on the SSR or any new Sonore device that might have I2S and Roon.
Thanks for getting back to me Todd. I was kind of hoping someone from Sonore would fill us in on what the hold back is. Don't some of the Raspberry Pi devices work with Roon and I2s?  Couldn't we use S/PDIF (for most data)?  What allows Roon to work via USB with the MicroRendu, but not I2s?

vortecjr

• Facilitator
The SSR is DLNA only and it does not appear that Roon is going to support DLNA. The microRendu supports various output protocols including RoonReady which Roon can stream to. The microRendu is USB only and there is no extra circuits on board to include i2s output. You can use a Pi if you are very handy with Linux. However, i2s on the Pi is not in the same league as the SSR. A much better solution is a proper USB to i2s converter which. FYI We might build one in a few months based on the SSR case, power supply and i2s/SPDIF output board. 

Rusty Jefferson

The SSR is DLNA only and it does not appear that Roon is going to support DLNA....

Thanks for responding vortecjr. 

It appears that the PS Audio Bridge II (for use with their Directstream DAC) is a DLNA renderer that is (now) a Roon endpoint. Perhaps Roon now supports DLNA?

vortecjr

• Facilitator
Thanks for responding vortecjr. 

It appears that the PS Audio Bridge II (for use with their Directstream DAC) is a DLNA renderer that is (now) a Roon endpoint. Perhaps Roon now supports DLNA?

Roon does not support DLNA and will likely not support it anytime soon. What PS Audio has done is to add Roon Ready to they interface. 

Rusty Jefferson

vortecjr, In an attempt to not muddle up this thread with multiple questions i tried sending this post as a PM but your box is either full or not accepting messages.

Roon does not support DLNA and will likely not support it anytime soon. What PS Audio has done is to add Roon Ready to they interface.
I've been trying to read up on Roon to better understand this conversation. I really don't have the technical skills.

It appears Roon is working with some of their partners to write software that will give some network attached streaming devices (as opposed to USB) the "Roon Ready" designation you mentioned.  Apparently, PS Audio, Bryston and perhaps some others are now "Roon Ready" over Ethernet. PS Audio has told me their Bridge is a DLNA device.  Are you saying it's just not possible for Roon to write software that will make the SSR "Roon Ready"?  Or Sonore can't "add Roon Ready" to your interface?  Or does the "Roon Ready" designation have compromised sound quality?  Or something else?

My SSR is the best computer sound quality device I've heard. I have 3 friends who heard mine and all purchased one from the same dealer in NJ. You can't say more about a product than that. I (and a couple of the others in my club) would just like to know what's on the horizon.  We have a ton of money tied up in these players and would like to utilize them with this new controller.

Thanks

vortecjr

• Facilitator
RoonReady and DLNA are two different protocols. You can have hardware that supports one or the other or both. The SSR currently only supports DLNA. We are looking at making the SSR RoonReady, but no determination has been made. I can't even begin to comment on SQ at this point in time. At the moment what we offer that is RoonReady and DLNA capable is the microRendu which is a Ethernet to USB interface.

vortecjr

• Facilitator
We are developing a new application for the Sonicorbiter operating system that will facilitate using Roon Server with the Sonore Signature Series Rendu and other DLNA/UPNP devices. Why...because Roon Server currently doesn't support DLNA/UPNP devices. Testing of the new application is in beta form and working nicely here.

Click here for more information on the SonoreUPnP Bridge application:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonicorbiter-sonoreupnp-bridge-beta-30468/

Rusty Jefferson

....Click here for more information on the SonoreUPnP Bridge application:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonicorbiter-sonoreupnp-bridge-beta-30468/
I just started using Roon as a controller. The link you provided is no longer available and I'd like to learn how to set up my SSR as a Roon endpoint.  Thanks in advance.

vortecjr

• Facilitator

Rusty Jefferson

Thank you for the link. The SSR is listed as a supported device for SonoreUPnP Bridge but I don't have any of the listed hardware. I've stopped using Minimserver on the NAS and am using Roon Server on a NUC. Would like to continue using the SSR as a DLNA/UPnP endpoint the same way I always have but controlling with Roon. Can I put the Sonore Bridge on the SSR, NUC or NAS?  How can I make this work?

Thanks,
Jim

AVAILABILITY

The SonoreUPnP Bridge application is available on the following hardware:
microRendu, ultraRendu, opticalRendu, microJukebox, and sonicTransporter series