SongSurround as 2.0 --> Power question

gregcss

SongSurround as 2.0 --> Power question
« on: 28 Sep 2011, 05:48 pm »
Hello everyone, I ordered a pair of SongSurrounds and have a question about setup...

The SongSurrounds will be used in a 2.0 system (maybe 4.0 until i get a center) using a marantz sr5005 as the processor and amp. 2ch sound is most important to me so I'm thinking I should upgrade my components and keep the sr5005 for video processing and dac duties.

I know AVA is recommended for salk speakers but I like what I read about the w4s STI-500, mostly the reviews, i like that its small, runs cooler, powerful, built in preamp, and has HT bypass. I may look to get a separate DAC so I don't need to turn on the sr5005 when listening to music.

Once I get a bigger place I'd like to get a pair of ST and move the SS to surround and integrate the 2ch components into the HT setup. In the mean time I'd like to improve the 2ch setup, do you think the STI-500 is worth the $2k upgrade for use with the SongSurrounds? Can you recommend lower cost options that will be better than the sr5005? (no emotiva, used might be ok)

Thanks in advance

-Greg