Revive the system change thread?

Big Red Machine

Re: Revive the system change thread?
« Reply #80 on: 1 Aug 2011, 02:15 pm »
Nice cables!  Who makes the wire that you're going to use for the power cords?

Probably just Essex THHN.  It's a bear to get them to lay properly when you start doubling up conductors.  if you push all 3 legs to 2 conductors it is mighty stiff.  You have to plan you twist ahead so the ground pins line up at each end where you need them.

yooper

« Reply #81 on: 5 Aug 2011, 06:37 am »
I live within 15 minutes of Pete and over the years have had various oppertunities to visit him and check out his gear.  I touched base with him last week asking his assistance to help repair and solder a mishap I had with one of my mono amps. Of course Pete was more than willing to put his know how to use and fixed me up in no time (he even had the part needed in his inventory).  Thanks again Pete!  :thumb:

After the repair, we both had time to kill and I was anxious to see/hear his latest incarnation so off we went to the two channel room.  I'm not a very handy (DIY) guy but can certainly appreciate those that are and am always baffled to see the DIY work that Pete is capable of and the transitions his gear has undergone over the years :rock:

I spent a few hours listening to tunes Pete had ready to roll and took the liberty to choose some tunes I wanted to hear too (for comparison sakes). 

For reference purposes - I have a pair of Jim's Salk HT3's (with many extra's), Loaded up Odyssey Extreme mono amps, Dodd battery pre amp and a Slimdevice Transporter. 

I don't have the ability to write a stellar review as my ability to choose appropriate wording/phrases is sub-par at best.  I'll keep it short and simply give a quick personal take.

I've listened to my personal rig for years and have been MORE than happy with it.  Because I already own the HT3's and knew Pete was running the HT2's, I assumed the combo would sound very good but honestly wasn't expecting anything "groundbreaking" so to speak.  I knew he had the new TRL amps/pre amp and was curious if it would make that much of a difference. 

It did.

When I chose tunes from Pete's library that were my personal go to (at home) demo tunes, I heard nuances I hadn't heard before.  As an example, bass slap - Not only could you hear where the bass was being played on stage... when the musician would "slap" the string you could hear the slap inside the air of the note played (if that makes sense).   

Width and depth of the stage was stunning and impressive. I thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated what I heard.   Interestingly, I noticed a touch more "hiss" in the background of a "few tunes" I knew very well which tells me how much more revealing his pre/amps are than mine.

Pete really has done an amazing job with his two channel room.  Room treatment is amazing within itself, let alone the upgraded receptacles, wiring and countless other DIY upgrades.

I've got to give a shout out to Jim/Dennis too.  I was impressed how low the HT2's could reach and keep singing without any hint of distorting.  I won't even get into how revealing and awesome the HT2's are as plenty of threads already discuss the obvious.

With all the changes we have witnessed Pete make over the years, I'm thinking he may have finally found his own personal "audio nirvana".  I'm not taking bets but I'm thinking TRL will have a home for a long time in Pete's listening room.

Although I must say I'll be curious as to what you do if you decided to purchase of the Soundscapes. :hyper:

fsimms

« Reply #82 on: 5 Aug 2011, 01:39 pm »
When I chose tunes from Pete's library that were my personal go to (at home) demo tunes, I heard nuances I hadn't heard before.  As an example, bass slap - Not only could you hear where the bass was being played on stage... when the musician would "slap" the string you could hear the slap inside the air of the note played (if that makes sense).   

Width and depth of the stage was stunning and impressive. I thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated what I heard.   Interestingly, I noticed a touch more "hiss" in the background of a "few tunes" I knew very well which tells me how much more revealing his pre/amps are than mine.

Alig has HT3’s and a Dodd preamp.  His Dodd preamp is amazing.  The TRL Dude therefore must be beyond belief! 

Thanks for the review.

Bob

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #83 on: 5 Aug 2011, 01:49 pm »
The TRL Dude therefore must be beyond belief! 

I really hope so as I have one on order.   :o

I currently have the Buffer. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #84 on: 5 Aug 2011, 04:39 pm »
Thank you yooper for the kind words. 

I'm off to India today for 7 days of fun in the sun! :?

Nuance

« Reply #85 on: 6 Aug 2011, 01:42 am »
Thank you yooper for the kind words. 

I'm off to India today for 7 days of fun in the sun! :?
Travel safe buddy

Big Red Machine

« Reply #86 on: 13 Aug 2011, 05:32 pm »
Back in the USA!!

Speaker cables:   All shrinked up and beautified.  Theme is blue so cables will be blue-based.

« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2011, 07:14 pm by Big Red Machine »

martyo

« Reply #87 on: 13 Aug 2011, 05:48 pm »
Welcome back!
Are  those your custom jumpers too?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #88 on: 13 Aug 2011, 05:52 pm »
Now that's very interesting.  Is this a Paul idea?   :scratch:

pansixt

« Reply #89 on: 13 Aug 2011, 05:55 pm »
Very Nice.

Do I spy the end of a Kimber cable in there as well?

James

Big Red Machine

« Reply #90 on: 13 Aug 2011, 08:25 pm »
Welcome back!
Are  those your custom jumpers too?

No, had those made years ago with spades one end and bananas the other.  An 8TC jumper.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #91 on: 13 Aug 2011, 08:26 pm »
Very Nice.

Do I spy the end of a Kimber cable in there as well?

James

8TC jumpers.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #92 on: 13 Aug 2011, 08:26 pm »
Now that's very interesting.  Is this a Paul idea?   :scratch:

His formula.  Now to build some PC's and sell off my Triode PC's.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #93 on: 21 Aug 2011, 02:14 am »
Pete

Tom from new Orleans.
Can you describe yOur experience with the miscode and bat amps

I am looking to Upgrade from vr3s to soundscape 10s

Thanks

Big Red Machine

« Reply #94 on: 22 Aug 2011, 06:32 pm »
Pete

Tom from new Orleans.
Can you describe yOur experience with the miscode and bat amps

I am looking to Upgrade from vr3s to soundscape 10s

Thanks

Moscode and HT3 was not a good match.  The bass was too loose and needed to be controlled tighter.

Only had one BAT but the 600 was awesome on the SS12's.  Had complete control and did not have any issues with any frequency.  Really plumbed the depths.  I actually think that the SSes are more forgiving than some of the other Salks when it comes to smooth delivery and amp combos.  But the bass capability of the SSes requires serious amp control of those low frequencies.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #95 on: 22 Aug 2011, 06:44 pm »
But the bass capability of the SSes requires serious amp control of those low frequencies.

I'm sure the new AVA Fet Valve 600R (only $2949) would be amazing.  Jim Salks personal amp is being upgraded to the 600R now. 

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=97775.msg981173;topicseen#new

kip_

« Reply #96 on: 22 Aug 2011, 07:35 pm »
I'm sure the new AVA Fet Valve 600R (only $2949) would be amazing.  Jim Salks personal amp is being upgraded to the 600R now. 

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=97775.msg981173;topicseen#new

He just bought a new amp he's in love with, i think he's getting off of the amp/preamp merry go round for now.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #97 on: 1 Sep 2011, 11:48 am »
If you have ever wondered if balanced power makes a difference, then let me tell you it does!  I experimented this week by first burning in my power cables over the weekend for 72 hours on my Audiodharma.

Then I removed my BPT unit and plugged the preamp, Touch ps, computer, and monitor directly into the wall.  I had the dac and amps into the SR Powercell 4 with the new PC's.

The noise was terrible.  The overall clarity of the system was there but the fireworks going off all around from the noise getting through was horrible.  It was like listening while 4 people were crinkling tin foil all around the room.  I sat through one night of that and had enough.

Last night I took just the preamp and Touch ps and ran them through the BPT and the background was quiet again.  What a relief.  Next I will add the computer and monitor back in and see if they benefit from this as well.  All as an experiment just to see if I could live without the BPT or similar device.  Answer is no.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #98 on: 1 Sep 2011, 12:22 pm »
Moscode and HT3 was not a good match.  The bass was too loose and needed to be controlled tighter.

Only had one BAT but the 600 was awesome on the SS12's.  Had complete control and did not have any issues with any frequency.  Really plumbed the depths.  I actually think that the SSes are more forgiving than some of the other Salks when it comes to smooth delivery and amp combos.  But the bass capability of the SSes requires serious amp control of those low frequencies.

I had a different experience with the HT3/Moscode 401HR than Pete.  With the right tubes, I didn't find the bottom end loose (it wasn't state of the art either).  I found it to be a good, but not great combo.  The Moscode excelled in the midrange and the added body and warmth was a good match for the HT3's.

Where I do agree with Pete is that the BAT amp was an evn better match with the HT3's.  I had the VK-600SE and it was definitely the best overall amp I ever used on the HT3's.  Great performer top to bottom with no noticeable wekanesses from a sonics perspective until compared to some really great tube amps.

George 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #99 on: 1 Sep 2011, 12:24 pm »
If you have ever wondered if balanced power makes a difference, then let me tell you it does!  I experimented this week by first burning in my power cables over the weekend for 72 hours on my Audiodharma.

Then I removed my BPT unit and plugged the preamp, Touch ps, computer, and monitor directly into the wall.  I had the dac and amps into the SR Powercell 4 with the new PC's.

The noise was terrible.  The overall clarity of the system was there but the fireworks going off all around from the noise getting through was horrible.  It was like listening while 4 people were crinkling tin foil all around the room.  I sat through one night of that and had enough.

Last night I took just the preamp and Touch ps and ran them through the BPT and the background was quiet again.  What a relief.  Next I will add the computer and monitor back in and see if they benefit from this as well.  All as an experiment just to see if I could live without the BPT or similar device.  Answer is no.

Pete,

+1    :thumb: :thumb:

I use a combination of an UberBuss feeding a Furman IT Ref-20i and together they lower the noise floor by a ton!  I have tried other products as well as going directly into the wall, and each and every time, I come back to the UberBuss/Furman IT Ref-20i combo as the clear winner in my system.

George