Revive the system change thread?

Big Red Machine

Revive the system change thread?
« on: 26 Mar 2011, 06:04 pm »
Try again
« Last Edit: 8 Jul 2011, 03:30 pm by Big Red Machine »

MichiganMike

The comprehensive upgrade should have you well prepared for the SoundScapes. 

I would be interested in your assessment of which items made a significant difference in audio quality and which were more cosmetic changes, if you have the basis to make an assessment.  I appreciate that this may not be possible if you are introducing multiple items at the same time.

Hope the final system fully meets your expectations.

Big Red Machine

« Last Edit: 20 May 2011, 02:14 pm by Big Red Machine »

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
Nice! Did you cryo the lead?  :green:

motorcitym3

Is your system up and running now?!?!?  I'd love to swing by and have a listen!  (and give ya back the sweep cd)

ratso

i love my cable risers. not that anything sounds better. but they look real cool and really keep down the dust bunnies.  :thumb:

Big Red Machine

« Last Edit: 20 May 2011, 02:14 pm by Big Red Machine »

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Nice job Pete.

Can I have mine in a nice birdseye Maple?   :wink:

George

Nuance

Paul K.

Did you really hear any difference after installing your cable risers? And, if so, was it an improvement?  I know we all hear things differently, and some people have better hearing than others, but cable risers are high on my list of pure snake oil!  Nothing wrong with your workmanship, however, and if using them makes you happy that's super. 8)
Paul

Nuance

Re: xxx
« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2011, 05:43 pm »
Pete, what happened?  I am actually interested in your system history.  Who cares if some of us have different methodologies?  I don't believe in cable risers, but I'd use them if you made me a pair like yours. ;)  I wish you hadn't removed your posts...

fsimms

« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2011, 06:35 pm »
I thought your cable risers were kewl!  :thumb:

Bob

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2011, 07:07 pm »
I thought your cable risers were kewl!  :thumb:

Bob

Me too! Didn't mean to offend you.

ratso

« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2011, 11:28 pm »
nor did i, i said i like them (and yours are friggin beautiful BTW)?

Paul K.

« Reply #14 on: 21 May 2011, 05:44 pm »
It appears I should apologize, not because I believe my opinion about cable risers is incorrect, but because my comments made The Big Red Machine reconsider his desire to simply share his handicraft and audio pursuits.  So, I apologize and encourage Big Red to re-post his photos and system description for all to enjoy.
Paul

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #15 on: 21 May 2011, 07:49 pm »
Come on Big Red... I have enjoyed your audio journey and want to continue to do so. Be BIG and be red and keep us in the loop. You da man

Big Red Machine

Re: Revive the system change thread?
« Reply #16 on: 8 Jul 2011, 03:38 pm »
5 digital cables waiting in the queue to be tried.  I am presently using a 20+ year old silver 1/2 meter digital that I "think" is Audioquest or some such, but very dynamic (and corroded) for its age.

Bolder dig cable:

Belkin Synapse:

Zebra digital, basically it is Belden video cable:

Wywires Litespd BNC, never been used:

Black Cat Veloce, never been used:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #17 on: 8 Jul 2011, 08:39 pm »
Samsons have arrived.  First time for me to post the FedEx truck out front only because I was reading the new Stereophile waiting impatiently for him to show in the front room.

The first one emerges.  Cotton towel, plastic wrap, 2-4" foam all around.

And the second one....

ebag4

« Reply #18 on: 8 Jul 2011, 08:44 pm »
BRM,
Stupid question, these are monobloacks and appear to have a single input like any monoblock.  Why do they have two sets of binding posts?  Are the binding posts for different impedences like tube amps sometimes have?

Best,
Ed

Big Red Machine

« Reply #19 on: 8 Jul 2011, 09:11 pm »
BRM,
Stupid question, these are monobloacks and appear to have a single input like any monoblock.  Why do they have two sets of binding posts?  Are the binding posts for different impedences like tube amps sometimes have?

Best,
Ed

Just allows me the ooption to bi-wire Ed.  With Soundscapes that may matter so I wanted to be prepared.

Amps are beast so far thanks to Waynes dac mods.