1801's bound for Oregon GTG

Nuance

Re: 1801's bound for Oregon GTG
« Reply #40 on: 24 Sep 2010, 07:32 pm »
I know the guy seated front right. He is a well respected speaker designer. So look forward to the comments on the gathering

I don't.  Who is everyone in the pic (besides Dennis Murhpy, seated in the back left)?

Mudslide

« Reply #41 on: 25 Sep 2010, 05:03 am »
I don't.  Who is everyone in the pic (besides Dennis Murhpy, seated in the back left)?

Hi Brandon.

Front left - right - back = mchuckp (AC/AVS), Ken Humphreys (Aperion designer), Dennis, Rickster71 (Audioholics), Going Long (AVS), farmingdad (AVS), empty chair (me  :D).  Two auditioners were missing in action.

Mudslide

« Reply #42 on: 28 Sep 2010, 04:08 pm »
Okay guys.  I've been riding the white horse of neutrality getting past the GTG auditioning format design, setup, and summary reporting.  Like a good loudspeaker ( :lol:) I've tried to present all the inputs with clarity, honesty, and with interest. 

Now it's time to get a little subjective.

I REALLY loved the Salk Ellis 1801's that were here.  They were my favorite speaker.  And along with another pair here, one that was reasonably close in performance, they were far and away my preference for ownership.  (Now I just have to save more Pepsi cans faster.)  I had no idea what speaker I was describing during the blinded session...but my comments were such as...(Resolution) "Heard things other speakers hadn't presented", (Bass) "Very clean", (Mids) "Very neutral", (Transparency) "I like the touch...on all presentations from delicate to powerful", (Transients) "Very good", (Visceral Impact) "Man, I'm involved", (Soundstage) "Filled the stage...great on vocals", and (Dynamics) "Easy as pie!  Effortless."

I really don't want to go down the path of "winner vs. loser" in the GTG comparo.  Everyone has his or her subjective favorite sound.  But I did want to get my opinion in here as to the fabulous performance of this Salk model.  IMHO, it matches the high standard of quality I came to expect from Jim's designs that I heard last year (SS-12, HT2, HT1TL, ST-QWT).

Congrats on yet another fantastic model, Jim.  And many thanks once again for your support and sponsorship of our little gig.

Nuance

« Reply #43 on: 28 Sep 2010, 05:24 pm »
Is there a dedicated thread somewhere?  I'd love to read all about it, and about the other speakers as well.  And thanks for the people introduction, RJ.  I wish I could have made it!

Mudslide

« Reply #44 on: 28 Sep 2010, 05:56 pm »
Is there a dedicated thread somewhere?  I'd love to read all about it, and about the other speakers as well.  And thanks for the people introduction, RJ.  I wish I could have made it!

Here you go, Brandon.  http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67150

This is the first page.  The audition summaries are somewhere around page 10.  Enjoy.   :D

Nuance

« Reply #45 on: 29 Sep 2010, 02:01 pm »
Thank you, RJ.

jsalk

« Reply #46 on: 30 Sep 2010, 03:17 pm »
These speakers have been sold.

- Jim

vintagebob

« Reply #47 on: 30 Sep 2010, 03:45 pm »
These speakers have been sold.

- Jim

Mine!   :green:

I will use them in a bedroom setup.

Mudslide, what type of stands were you using for these?  I'm looking at these stands.

http://www.audio-video-furniture.com/Lovan-L-JA3BB-9618-Jazz-3-Post-18-Speaker-Stand.htm

Sorry about stealing the 1801s away from you.

Mudslide

« Reply #48 on: 30 Sep 2010, 05:10 pm »
Mine!   :green:

I will use them in a bedroom setup.

Mudslide, what type of stands were you using for these?  I'm looking at these stands.

http://www.audio-video-furniture.com/Lovan-L-JA3BB-9618-Jazz-3-Post-18-Speaker-Stand.htm

Sorry about stealing the 1801s away from you.

It looks like I didn't save up my Pepsi cans as fast as I needed to.   :bawl:  I'll miss these.  But I think they're going to a very nice home.  Congrats...you're going to be REALLY spoiled.  By the way, if you're going to put these in the bedroom...warning*warning*warning...the 1801's have the power to evoke a lot of emotion.   :wink:

We used a variety of stands with the Salks, mostly 18 inchers.  All looked and performed great sitting under those beautiful 1801's.  Those that you chose should be perfect.

Nuance

« Reply #49 on: 30 Sep 2010, 05:11 pm »
RJ - I loved your write-up on Audioholics.  Your writing skills rock!  I especially appreciated how you were able to convey your (and the other's) emotions in your writing.  Just reading the summaries of each speaker gave me the feeling of being with you.  Thanks!

Mudslide

« Reply #50 on: 30 Sep 2010, 05:14 pm »
RJ - I loved your write-up on Audioholics.  Your writing skills rock!  I especially appreciated how you were able to convey your (and the other's) emotions in your writing.  Just reading the summaries of each speaker gave me the feeling of being with you.  Thanks!

Those are very kind words, Brandon.  Many thanks.  I try. 

Maybe one of these years you'll grace us with a visit!   :D

vintagebob

« Reply #51 on: 6 Oct 2010, 01:32 pm »
These arrived in perfect shape and sound great.  Thanks!

Nuance

« Reply #52 on: 6 Oct 2010, 05:24 pm »
Those are very kind words, Brandon.  Many thanks.  I try. 

Maybe one of these years you'll grace us with a visit!   :D

I don't know about "grace," but I'll certainly make it for one of the next ones.

These arrived in perfect shape and sound great.  Thanks!

That's fantastic news.  Will you be comparing them to Kirk's Usher's?  I think that would be an awesome listening session!