Outstanding Demo CD's etc...

mort

Re: Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« Reply #1060 on: 7 Nov 2010, 04:01 am »
Pearl Jam V.S.  Although Pearl Jam is probably my favorite band I rareley listen to them criticaly. Last night I did and the album was versus WOW! what a cleanly recorded album, really holographic praticularly on W.M.A the drums and congos are F*****G awesome.  The first song GO hits with an intensity rarley found it's extreamly dynamic this continues through Animal and Dissesent. Play it loud and enjoy.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #1061 on: 9 Nov 2010, 07:40 pm »
Hi Mort, thanks for the recommendation!!

I have been listening lately but none that really pop out as demo quality levels.

I did re-listen to Holly Coles "It happened One Night:
http://www.amazon.com/Happened-One-Night-Holly-Cole/dp/B000005H6R/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1289331588&sr=8-1

Its a 5 start rated cd and it was AWESOME.

All the best
Alex
 :D

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #1062 on: 11 Nov 2010, 02:01 am »
Another Manhattan Jazz Quintet cd.  Man, these guys are good and the recordings range from very good to absolutely incredible.  This one is only slightly incredible.

Alex, if you haven't picked up a copy of this one yet, and I have listed it here before, it may be the best recorded cd I own.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #1063 on: 11 Nov 2010, 12:26 pm »
S Clark,

Cool, I will get a copy of this one for sure.
Slightly Incredible is pretty darn good!!

All the best
Alex

TJC712

« Reply #1064 on: 12 Nov 2010, 11:04 pm »
Hey folks... nice to check back in... haven't been around much. Pick up Desert Island Dreamers by The Pizzarelli Boys. Some interesting takes on a wide variety of tunes. High quality stuff across the board.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #1065 on: 13 Nov 2010, 11:59 pm »
Hello TJC712

Nice to hear from your again and thanks for the recommendation. I am sitting here listening to the Beatles Remastered, Please Please Me. Not really the demo stuff we are looking for in this threas, but recently I have been going back and re-living my 'youth" and the sound quality of these remastered recording are really good for what they are...for stuff made way back when.

Update: Listened to Walter Hyatt, "King Tears". I know this has been recommended earlier, but for those that dont go back a read pages and pages of posts..if you havent got a copy of this cd, just go get it!! Its a "10" for sure. The bass in this is so fine, and Walter Hyatt has a voice that is sooooo awesome. Sure wish he was still around! You will listen to this one more than once..oh so little time!

All the best
Alex
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2010, 02:05 pm by adydula »

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #1066 on: 16 Nov 2010, 12:53 am »
Hello,

Tonight was Chet Atkins night, I got three new Chet Atkins cds and lets say I am a Chet Atkins fan and a Beatles fan and of course I think I am a purist and audiophile...where is this leading?

Chet Atkins "Picks on the Beatles" and we also get a journey back into recording history!

Can you say "Dynagroove" LOL

I have always been a fan of the Beatles songs, the simple happy go lucky 2-3 minute ditties that I grew up with...along with Dynaco, Heathkits and the like. When I discoverd Chet Atkins, was playing some really neat soft jazz and the two crossed with instrumentals I was in heaven.

Chet Atkins "Sail" cd is still one of my favorite demo cds.

The Beatles recodings of so long ago arent the best demo type of cd, even the remastered ones which are good are really not as good as many of the CDs in this thread.

This CD came out in March 1966 as LSP-3531 Produced by Chet Atkins and Bob Ferguson. Recorded in RCA's "Nashville Sound" Studio, Nashville, Tn.

Recording Engineer: Bill Vandevort

This was touted as a Dynagroove Record.

From the Label:

"Dynagroove records are the product of RCA Victor's newly developed system of recording which provides a spectacular improvement in the sound quality.

Characteristics:

1. Brilliance and clarity: the original sound in startling definiton.
2. Realistic presence: sound projected in "photographic" perspective"
3. Full-bodied tone: even when you listen at low level.
4. Surface noise virtually eliminated.
5. Inner-groove distortion virtually eliminated.

To solve those old and obstinate problems in disc recoding, highly ingenious computers, "electronic" brains have been introduced to audio for the first time. These remarkable new electronic devices and processes grew out of an intense research project which produces notable advances in virtually every step of the recording science. The final test of any record is in the listening compare the sound of Dynagroove recordings.

"Dynagroove recordings are mastered on RCA master tape." 

Why all this history and lineage, well I have nothing else better to do right now and it lead to this LP being remastered in 1996 by Benny Quinn at Masterfonics Inc, Nashville TN. Produced by Steve Lindsey for MaxAmor productions.  On cd!

If you research RCA Dynagroove on the net you will find out what it was, what it did, good and bad....the neat thing here in 2010, I get to hear a guitar master, Chet Atkins along with Charlie McCoy on Harmonica..frrm 1966 playing my favorite Beatles tunes by a Certified Guitar Player and you get to listen to the technology that was being touted way back then as well.

This is a guitar cd, well played, well interpreted, simple and with Chet Atkins style...it made me smile many times...

http://www.amazon.com/Picks-Beatles-Chet-Atkins/dp/B0012GMVJO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289866673&sr=8-1

Hope you like the diatribe and hope you enjoy the trip back in time.

All the best
Alex

:D :D
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2010, 01:10 pm by adydula »

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #1067 on: 16 Nov 2010, 01:09 am »
Alex....

Tonight was Chet Atkins night, I got three new Chet Atkins cds...

Hope you got this one too.... :wink:

Chet Atkins - "Almost Alone" ....

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #1068 on: 16 Nov 2010, 01:49 am »
Alex....

Hope you got this one too.... :wink:

Chet Atkins - "Almost Alone" ....

Uncle LoneWolf how many recordings did Chet Atkins do !!! 

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #1069 on: 16 Nov 2010, 01:54 am »
Uncle LoneWolf how many recordings did Chet Atkins do !!! 

A lot..... Link...  :guitar:

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #1070 on: 16 Nov 2010, 02:03 am »

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #1071 on: 16 Nov 2010, 12:28 pm »
I thought I read its was 124 albums in total.

Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #1072 on: 21 Nov 2010, 01:38 am »
Another night of 'EarGasmic" experience's...

I got a copy of Chet Atkins "Almost Alone"

http://www.amazon.com/Almost-Alone-Chet-Atkins/dp/B000002BFU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1290302077&sr=8-2

Its a HDCD and its really great.

My favorite Chet Atkins CD is "Sails" and I have not listened to it since I got the Ultravalve amp. So after "Almost Alone" I decided to give it a listen. The amp, pre and BD83SE were nice and warmed up.

In it went and I was "floored" Music doesnt have any right to sound this good....Chet Atkins on this CD to me is FLAWLESS. He was such a fantastic guitar player, a perfectionist and in this cd the co-ordination, the putting it all together with all the instruments, the way it is mixed and recorded is a "10".

Track 6 on Sails is called "Laffin at Life" has so many things going on, rythm, drum slams to die for, impecable guitar playing, imaging, instrument sounds, cymbals, things that I have no idea what they are called but make all kinds of shimmering metallic sounds....its fantastic.

From Amazon Review:

One of my favorite CD's of all time. I've given this as gifts and everyone loves it. A perfect CD to watch the sunset to. The first song starts with waves, then seagulls, then beautiful guitar music. The remahttp://www.amazon.com/Sails-Chet-Atkins/dp/B000KQF7BG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290303066&sr=1-1inder of the CD continues the relaxed, beautiful mood. Not a country CD, just good music."

Yes its not country but is definitely Chet Atkins signature in spades.

This cd is on my top 10 cds.

And you can buy it for $2.33!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Sails-Chet-Atkins/dp/B000KQF7BG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290303066&sr=1-1

All the best
Alex

:thumb: :thumb:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #1073 on: 3 Dec 2010, 12:38 am »
Hello,

I had this 2 CD set lying around for awhile now, I bought it being a fan and liked the easy going tunes these guys sang....but there earlier cds arent really demo quality but this set is done very well and if you want to audition some 'pop' type music this will fill the bill nicely.

Its in the Country Rock genre, The Eagles, Long Road Out of Eden.

http://www.amazon.com/Long-Road-Out-Eden-Eagles/dp/B002Q7JYPC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291336189&sr=8-1

Yes this is not Dave Brubeck, George Benson, Mile Davis but its good music, well done and well recorded.

Give it a spin and you might just smile alot!!

All the best
Alex
 :thumb:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #1074 on: 29 Dec 2010, 03:26 pm »
Hello, its been quiet on this thread, been real busy with life, work etc...I am in the process of remodeling a bathroom, shower, walls, wiring, plumbing, tile work, carpentry etc..Mr Fix It!! 

Been listening to some new stuff, but nothing that I would call 'Outstanding' Demo quality stuff. A bit disappointing.

I did get a copy of the 1994 Eric Claptons "Unplugged" and listened to it last night and its was pretty good.

I also got 2 cd's of Doc Powell, Laid Back and the 97th and Columbus discs.
The 97th and Columbus is really great. I think the "Thank You" track is on one of Jims Demo CD's.

Hope Christmas and the Holidays finds all well...and Happy New Year to all!

All the best
Alex

rodge827

« Reply #1075 on: 29 Dec 2010, 03:56 pm »
Tommy Emanuel is not from this planet....he defies human ability.
Yes he is awesome :thumb:, we saw him at the Surflight Theater in Beach Haven, NJ, in Sept. 09.
A great show :D, a must see if you like acoustic guitar.
My wife got me his latest for Christmas, Little By Little, two disks of pure guitar pleasure.
She also got me, Tommy Emmanuel & Frank Vignola-Just Between Fretts...An Awesome ride with two masters playing off each other 8). A must buy.
Also check out the Acoustic Music Resource site. There are many excellent guitarists featured here.

Enjoy,

Rodge

http://www.tommyemmanuel.com/

http://www.acousticmusicresource.com/

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #1076 on: 29 Dec 2010, 04:04 pm »
Hey Rodge827...

Will check out the site, cant wait to see Tommy in Feb here in North Carolina!

Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #1077 on: 5 Jan 2011, 12:51 am »
Happy New Year!

I got a new dual cd set "The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac 2-CD"

http://www.amazon.com/Very-Best-Fleetwood-Mac-2CD/dp/B00006JL1Z/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1294187943&sr=1-1

From the slipcase:

The Very Best Of Fleetwood Mac packs 2 CDs with 36 hit singles and popular album tracks spanning 1975-1997. Features the #1 'Dreams' plus the classic hits 'Over My Head,' 'Rhiannon,' 'Go Your Own Way,' 'Don't Stop,' 'You Make Loving Fun,' 'Tusk,' 'Sara,' 'Hold Me,' 'Little Lies,' the live 'Go Insane' from The Dance and 'Silver Springs' currently out of print, and much more. The CD is also enhanced with exclusive footage of Fleetwood Mac making their new 2003 album - their first studio album in 15 years! Plus the vaults - rare live performances, interviews, music videos and more. Only available on this CD. Slipcase. Reprise. 2002.

Its really great to get music that you grew up with remastered very well to enjoy as a demo type cd and be very familiar as well.

The depth of the recordings have been remastered wonderfully, the imaging is superb, things popping in and out all over the soundstage.....I did not like all the cuts as much as some of my favorites, but I forced myself to listen to them am and was rewarded with really neat sonic surprises.

The engineers that re-did this 22 yr span compilation did a wonderful job of making the music sound so good.

The acoustic guitar playing is awesome!

Hope you get to enjoy this one as much as I am!

All the best
Alex

putz

« Reply #1078 on: 5 Jan 2011, 01:11 am »
I'm listening to Fleetwood Mac Greatest Hits as I read your post. Their stuff was really well recorded to begin with so a remaster must sound great. I remember how well the albums sounded when I listened to them on vinyl way back when. Stevie's vocals on Dreams and Rihannon--Sweet.

Happy New Year!

I got a new dual cd set "The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac 2-CD"

http://www.amazon.com/Very-Best-Fleetwood-Mac-2CD/dp/B00006JL1Z/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1294187943&sr=1-1

From the slipcase:

The Very Best Of Fleetwood Mac packs 2 CDs with 36 hit singles and popular album tracks spanning 1975-1997. Features the #1 'Dreams' plus the classic hits 'Over My Head,' 'Rhiannon,' 'Go Your Own Way,' 'Don't Stop,' 'You Make Loving Fun,' 'Tusk,' 'Sara,' 'Hold Me,' 'Little Lies,' the live 'Go Insane' from The Dance and 'Silver Springs' currently out of print, and much more. The CD is also enhanced with exclusive footage of Fleetwood Mac making their new 2003 album - their first studio album in 15 years! Plus the vaults - rare live performances, interviews, music videos and more. Only available on this CD. Slipcase. Reprise. 2002.

Its really great to get music that you grew up with remastered very well to enjoy as a demo type cd and be very familiar as well.

The depth of the recordings have been remastered wonderfully, the imaging is superb, things popping in and out all over the soundstage.....I did not like all the cuts as much as some of my favorites, but I forced myself to listen to them am and was rewarded with really neat sonic surprises.

The engineers that re-did this 22 yr span compilation did a wonderful job of making the music sound so good.

The acoustic guitar playing is awesome!

Hope you get to enjoy this one as much as I am!

All the best
Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #1079 on: 18 Jan 2011, 03:10 pm »
Chris,

I got the Chet Atkins 'Almost Alone' and its indeed wonderful.

http://www.amazon.com/Almost-Alone-Chet-Atkins/dp/B000002BFU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295363420&sr=1-1

Alex