Outstanding Demo CD's etc...

nyc_paramedic

Re: Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« Reply #940 on: 2 Aug 2010, 02:25 am »
nyc_paramedic!

Got Dogs today and your right the kick drum gave me goosebumps!!

I listened to it with thru my new Ultravalve amp, preamp with some new Blue Jeans Cables LC1's and the experience was absolutely marvelous...such a nice fresh voice!

Thank you for the recommendation!

I'm glad you liked it. You should also try these girls on for size: The Ditty Bops.

From Wikipedia:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ditty_Bops

The Ditty Bops is an American band from Los Angeles, California. Though previously with Warner Brothers, they now self-produce. They are noted for their tight vocal harmonies and playful style. They are headed by Abby DeWald (vocals and acoustic guitar) and Amanda Barrett (vocals, mandolin and dulcimer). Their music is reminiscent of such artists as Joni Mitchell and Simon and Garfunkel, but incorporates a variety of musical styles such as folk, bluegrass, blues, western swing, ragtime and musical theater. Their live shows are often very interactive, and have different themes and theatrical elements complete with props, costumes, skits, and amusing slide shows.

This is the cover of their first album...

At Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Ditty-Bops/dp/B00063MCKW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1280715747&sr=8-1-spell

The sonics are wonderful. The voices are hair-raising in-your-room. The bass notes are deep, tight (listen to the opening notes of Wake Up), and crisp.

Let us know what you think.

Nick

ctouhey

« Reply #941 on: 2 Aug 2010, 03:30 am »
That made me think of Manhattan Transfer.  Don't know if anyone has sampled them on the Salks yet.  I only have vinyl and don't have that set up to play (need to repair my old belt drive B&O).  If anyone has sampled them recently (I listend a lot in the 80s), I'd like to know how they sound now.

Chris

Art_Chicago

« Reply #942 on: 4 Aug 2010, 12:01 am »
From Russia with love.....Two Siberians - "Out of Nowhere".... :guitar:

I've had this awhile....came out in 2005....good guitar work....good variety of tunes.
Electric guitarist Yuri Matveyev and electric violinist Artyom Yakushenko are virtuosos, and their music-a singular hybrid of rock, folk and jazz propelled by a Russian ethnic pulse-is unlike anything out there.Yes, it’s instrumental music (electric violin and electric guitar), but do not be fooled. Think infectious melodies with burning virtuosic displays. Think impassioned whispers and fiery bursts with a propulsive ethnic pulse. Think world pop instrumental. Or just consider the opinion of Maty Fernandez of MTV: “These two guys do what it takes Dave Matthews five guys to do.”

Check it out.... :thumb:

http://www.amazon.com/Out-Nowhere-Two-Siberians/dp/B0007D4MKE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1280466770&sr=1-1

I just gave it another listen, and although I like the energy and music, the recording lacks the transparency and the detail, IMHO. overall pretty good.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #943 on: 7 Aug 2010, 03:27 am »
You want another one? You ever here of Eleni Mandell? Album is Miracle of Five.

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleni_Mandell

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Five-Eleni-Mandell/dp/B000JRYO8S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1280271086&sr=8-1

You can't go wrong for $1.79 on the A's used market place.

The sound stage stretches from wall to wall on my HT-2 TL's. On the song My Twin, at approximately 2:22, there are two horns that come in. The one to the left, a clarinet IIRC, will make the hairs on thhe back of your neck stand up in attention!

Hey nyc_paramedic!
This one is a demo CD. Thanks  :thumb:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #944 on: 9 Aug 2010, 01:56 am »
Hi,

I just listened to a 'Test CD #2' from Salk Sound. The selections are really great but I would like to know if anyone has listened to the entire album the selections come from..

Here we go:

1. Susheela Ramam's Salt Rain CD, Selection was Ganpati.
I have no idea who this is etc?
2. Two Siberian's Out of Nowhere. Selection was On The Tundra..
This one has been recently been selected and is excellent.
3. Helene Gimaud, Great Selection, but I dont know what the CD is or the selection?
4. Vibes by Withdrawn, Selection was Keep on Truckin...Excellent
5. Ann Hampton, Callaway Blues In The Night, Selection was Willow Weep For Me
6. Hope Waits, Hope Waits, Selection was Get Behind The Mule. Excellent
7. Robin McKelle, Modern Antique, Selection was Comes Love. Excellent
8. Grayson Chaps, SOngbones, Selection was Junior & The Old African Queen
9. Ani DiFranco, Dilate, Selection was Amazing Grace.
10. Nordic Sound sampler 2007, Selection was Ensembleinmortal Bach
11. Al Di Meola, Kiss My Axe, Selection was Purple Orchids EXCELLENT.
12. Manu Katche, Playground, Selection was Inside Game
13. Melody Gardot, Worrisome Heart, Selection was All That I Need To Love
14. Patrica Barber Live, Selction was Norwegian Wood..THIS IS A 11 out of 10.
Highly Recommended..Audio Orgasm Stuff!!
15. The Tallis Scholars 25 the Anniversary Collection Disc 1

If you have any experience with any of the CDs to comment on the overall sound quality etc please let us know how you like them..

My 2 favorites are the Al Di Meola and Patrica Barber...all I can say is WOW!

All the Best
Alex
 :D :D

jaw5279

« Reply #945 on: 9 Aug 2010, 02:38 am »

Alex,

If you liked the Al Di Meola cut, I suggest you try his "Elegant Gypsy" album.  It has both electric and acoustic on it and (in my opinion) is very good too. 

John 

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #946 on: 9 Aug 2010, 02:44 am »

jsalk

« Reply #947 on: 9 Aug 2010, 11:41 am »
Hi,

I just listened to a 'Test CD #2' from Salk Sound. The selections are really great but I would like to know if anyone has listened to the entire album the selections come from..

Looks like a great compilation.  But it wasn't a Salk Sound CD (just so no one requests a copy). 

- Jim

Big Red Machine

« Reply #948 on: 9 Aug 2010, 12:22 pm »
Hi,

Here we go:

1. Susheela Ramam's Salt Rain CD, Selection was Ganpati.
I have no idea who this is etc?
2. Two Siberian's Out of Nowhere. Selection was On The Tundra..
This one has been recently been selected and is excellent.
3. Helene Gimaud, Great Selection, but I dont know what the CD is or the selection?
4. Vibes by Withdrawn, Selection was Keep on Truckin...Excellent
5. Ann Hampton, Callaway Blues In The Night, Selection was Willow Weep For Me
6. Hope Waits, Hope Waits, Selection was Get Behind The Mule. Excellent
7. Robin McKelle, Modern Antique, Selection was Comes Love. Excellent
8. Grayson Chaps, SOngbones, Selection was Junior & The Old African Queen
9. Ani DiFranco, Dilate, Selection was Amazing Grace.
10. Nordic Sound sampler 2007, Selection was Ensembleinmortal Bach
11. Al Di Meola, Kiss My Axe, Selection was Purple Orchids EXCELLENT.
12. Manu Katche, Playground, Selection was Inside Game
13. Melody Gardot, Worrisome Heart, Selection was All That I Need To Love
14. Patrica Barber Live, Selction was Norwegian Wood..THIS IS A 11 out of 10.
Highly Recommended..Audio Orgasm Stuff!!
15. The Tallis Scholars 25 the Anniversary Collection Disc 1

If you have any experience with any of the CDs to comment on the overall sound quality etc please let us know how you like them..

All the Best
Alex

I created that collection and it is on my SB Playlists.  Post 933 is my latest CD.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #949 on: 9 Aug 2010, 12:34 pm »
Thanks Red, and Jim....The CD had a label on it "Test CD #2 Salk" so I just assumed it was from Jim.
np...Its a really good compilation.

Alex
 :)

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #950 on: 17 Aug 2010, 12:54 am »
Sitting here listening to FourPlay's "In Between The Sheets" Wondeful recording and Larry Carlton, Bob James, Harvey Mason and Nathan East are just marvelous together, professional musicans in the groove and play so nice!!!!
Wonderous indeed!!

http://www.amazon.com/Between-Sheets-Fourplay/dp/B000002MLC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1282006362&sr=1-4

Go get it!

All the best
Alex

Toka

« Reply #951 on: 17 Aug 2010, 03:30 am »
Alex,

If you liked the Al Di Meola cut, I suggest you try his "Elegant Gypsy" album.  It has both electric and acoustic on it and (in my opinion) is very good too. 

Yep! Can't go wrong with Al.  8)

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #952 on: 17 Aug 2010, 06:28 am »
Roland Olazabel (Tears For Fears)- "Tomcats Outside Screaming"......a fantastic recording and wonderful music, every track is great!!

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #953 on: 17 Aug 2010, 05:04 pm »
Toka,

Thanks for the Al Di Meola recommendation, I do have the Kiss My Axe selection coming, but I will check out the Elegant Gypsy selection for sure!

eclien thanks for the Tears For Fears recommendation I will sample some of the cuts and let you know how it plays for me!! Cool!!

All the best
Alex

NOTE: A FREE SALK HAT for the 1000th post in this thread and maybe one or two more !!!

cacophony777

« Reply #954 on: 17 Aug 2010, 07:59 pm »
Here's one of my favorite demo CDs:

Bill Evans - Waltz for Debby (Sunday at the Village Vanguard is also really good)

I have the SACD version, though the regular CD versions are great as well, especially the XRCD version.

Kinger

« Reply #955 on: 17 Aug 2010, 08:35 pm »
Thanks for the Fourplay recommendation Alex.  Sounds like what I've been looking for while doing some reading in the evenings or something to just completely relax to after a stressful day.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #956 on: 17 Aug 2010, 09:43 pm »
Kinger,

I used to listen to a lot of the ethereal type of new age jazz when i had a set of maggies to make those 6 ft long ribbons play !!!

The Rippingtons come to mind and thats when I started discovering Lee Ritenour, Larry Carlton, Albert Lee and lots of other oldies now but still goodies.

Its amazing that these guys are still playing and playing their hearts out!

I dont have the Energy cd yet, but its also was a recommendation several weeks back.

Enjoy!
Alex
 :D
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2010, 01:14 am by adydula »

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #957 on: 17 Aug 2010, 10:51 pm »
+1 Fourplay, any of them, they all sound excellent.

RadioWonder

« Reply #958 on: 18 Aug 2010, 01:32 am »
Yes,thanks... :D

jimdgoulding

« Reply #959 on: 18 Aug 2010, 01:50 am »
Think everybody ought to have a listen to Sound Roots by Andy McKee and NEXT on Mapleshade.  Uncompressed and real live sounding near the stage avant/funk/jazz.  Er, when you can listen unmistakenly loud, that is.  Unbridled instrumental extention, dynamics and air.  I'm kinda partial to track 2.