Outstanding Demo CD's etc...

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« Reply #720 on: 30 Jan 2010, 06:45 pm »
Hello Again,

Stuck at home, so why not listen!

Chris Rea. "Road To Hell"

http://www.amazon.com/Road-Hell-Chris-Rea/dp/B000002JOF/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1264865024&sr=8-3

A ten out of a ten.

Golly Gee Batman this is really a very good disc.

So much detail or 'fabric' in the music / songs.

Its really a very special treat, the songs, the material, the words...so good.

This is another recommendation from the speaker "master" Chris aka Mr. Wolf!!!  :D

All the best!

Alex
 :eyebrows:

Glad you like it Alex.....now your on the Road To Hell...... :jester:

Here's a good bio on Chris Rea....Link.......he's been on a road to hell with his medical condition... :(

Enjoy the DVD.... :thumb:

Chris

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #721 on: 31 Jan 2010, 07:38 am »
Alex,

Life For Rent and No Angel or both well recorded. 

Safe Trip Home's first track is wonderful, great bass and separation.  I hope you enjoy Pipe.

Got the CD today.  I love the music, and the album is very well recorded.

Thanks for the recommendation.

funkmonkey

« Reply #722 on: 31 Jan 2010, 10:03 am »
Alex...

Two more oldies but goodies....if you toes aren't tapping, then your dead... :cry: :lol:

First...Bill Withers....you've heard the tunes, here they are all in one spot... 8)

http://www.amazon.com/Lean-Me-Best-Bill-Withers/dp/B00004THKR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1264825994&sr=1-1

"Songwriter/singer/guitarist Bill Withers is best remembered for the classic "Lean on Me" and his other million-selling singles "Ain't No Sunshine" and "Use Me," but he has a sizable cache of great songs to his credit."

"The singer's warm vocals and wise lyrics have held up splendidly through the years, making him a likely candidate for periodic rediscovery. This anthology stands as the title of choice for the next wave of soul fans Withers wins over."

I have this disc and I agree, It's a great one.  Great voice, great instrumentation, very soulful recordings.   Good suggestion.

Alright, you guys will probably laugh, and at the risk of losing all musical credibility, but just last night I was listening to some random tunes and one came up that really took me by surprise...   :oops: from the Saturday Night Fever soundtrackBee Gee's - You Should Be Dancing.  I'll be damned for sayin' so, but it really sounded good through my HT3s.  Lot's going on in the recording, good dynamic range, and just plain old fun to listen to.  This is coming from a guy that grew up with WRIF (Baby!) [some of you Detroiters will get that, and know exactly what I mean].  Back in the late 80's I worked in a Detroit area record store, and was still very much of the mind that Disco sucked, when one day local news anchor Bill Bonds came strolling into the store and threw a fit because we didn't have a cassette tape of the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack in stock...   Man, we had a good laugh about that after he had left the store, and joked about it for weeks after.  Now, Here I am, telling you guys how good it sounds.  Go figure.  (honk, honk)  :wink:

evan1

« Reply #723 on: 31 Jan 2010, 11:39 am »
The Funkmonkey gets funky  :lol:

funkmonkey

« Reply #724 on: 31 Jan 2010, 08:29 pm »
Just for the record (pun intended), there is a distinction between disco and funk.  James Brown, Cymande, Funkadelic, Eddie Hazel, Headhunters, Kool & the Gang (pre-1976), The Meters, War...  (and more currently) Galactic, MMW, Garage Mahal, Groove Collective, Dirty Dozen Brass Band...   are all incredible artists that can bring the FUNK.  The actual Disco stuff is more like Bee Gees, Donna Summer...  with strings, multiple overdubs, over-produced, over-played...  well, you know.  But that Bee Gee's track sure did sound good the other day.   :D

okay...  a couple more then, just so you guys don't give me too hard of a time:

Erykah Badu - Baduizm

http://www.amazon.com/Baduizm-Erykah-Badu/dp/B000005AYM

excellent disc...  I linked to, and own, the Special Edition because it has a second CD with a couple extra tracks that I think are worth while, but you can pick up the regular release for about $6 used in good condition.  I used the first two tracks during my speaker auditions Rimshot and On & OnRimshot has some very deep bass which is the reason I was using it, but it's a pretty short song and most of the time I would just let it play well into the second song.  This album is really one of my all time favorites.

Something that is recorded well, has got a groove and is an all around good demo is from one of my long time favorite bands:
Medeski, Martin, & Wood (MMW for short) - Combustication

http://www.amazon.com/Combustication-Medeski-Martin-Wood/dp/B00000AFSZ
One of their finest releases.  If you are new to this band this may be a good place to start.  The second track, Just Like I'd Pictured It, sounded excellent when it came up a few days ago.

Although I haven't really been contributing to this thread, until just now.  I've put some of my favorites out there in other, like minded, threads around the net.  I don't want to feel like I am repeating myself too much.  But I have been reading along, and picked up a few titles mentioned in this thread, so thanks to everybody for the recommendations.

Cheers, enjoy

K Shep

« Reply #725 on: 1 Feb 2010, 12:17 am »
Laurie Anderson - Life on a String
http://www.amazon.com/Life-String-Laurie-Anderson/dp/B000050K9A/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1264983291&sr=1-6

She is a trip but, this is tame and very well recorded.  I really enjoy this album.

« Last Edit: 1 Feb 2010, 02:14 am by K Shep »

K Shep

« Reply #726 on: 1 Feb 2010, 12:20 am »
I just figured out how to post a photo of the cover art...that helps.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #727 on: 1 Feb 2010, 01:37 am »
That's very nice Shep. Now, you too, can be sued for copyright infringement.  :wink:

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #728 on: 1 Feb 2010, 01:55 am »
Laurie Anderson - Life on a String

OK, I ordered it from the marketplace.  $0.49 plus $2.99 shipping.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #729 on: 1 Feb 2010, 01:59 am »
Erykah Badu - Baduizm

excellent disc...  Rimshot has some very deep bass which is the reason I was using it, but it's a pretty short song and most of the time I would just let it play well into the second song.  This album is really one of my all time favorites.

Baduzium is an excellent disc. 

Art_Chicago

« Reply #730 on: 1 Feb 2010, 03:59 am »
I just figured out how to post a photo of the cover art...that helps.
K Shep, would you mind to share your experience?

fishinbob

« Reply #731 on: 1 Feb 2010, 07:22 pm »

I keep going back to this disc when I wish to hear my Salks at their very best.
Sonically it is at the top of the heap for demo purposes and the performance is top notch.
Track 3 of the Fandango at +2db will leave me slack- jawed every time :lol:

http://www.amazon.com/Boccherini-Fandango-Sinfonie-Musica-Notturna/dp/B000E42MPS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1265049845&sr=1-2

Art_Chicago

« Reply #732 on: 1 Feb 2010, 07:27 pm »

I keep going back to this disc when I wish to hear my Salks at their very best.
Sonically it is at the top of the heap for demo purposes and the performance is top notch.
Track 3 of the Fandango at +2db will leave me slack- jawed every time :lol:

http://www.amazon.com/Boccherini-Fandango-Sinfonie-Musica-Notturna/dp/B000E42MPS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1265049845&sr=1-2
:thumb:
It has been my favorite for last year or so. Most discs by Savall at Alia Vox are exellent recordings

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #733 on: 1 Feb 2010, 11:42 pm »
Hello K Shep...

I actually mentioned Laurie Anderson back in Sept:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=63936.msg673085#msg673085

While it was not my favorite, it is demo quality for me...the bass content was absolutley amazing. I sent Jim Salk a note telling him I have not heard this type of guttoral sound from my SongTowers it shocked and amazed me....

Thanks to all the new postings!!

Lots coming in the mail, so much to listen to, so little time!!

All the best
Alex
 :eyebrows:

K Shep

« Reply #734 on: 2 Feb 2010, 01:08 am »
Hello K Shep...

I actually mentioned Laurie Anderson back in Sept

I apologize for the duplicate.  Great thing about my computer front end is I am able to listen to Amazon samples through my system.  It isn't the best quality but it helps make a buying decision.

K Shep

« Reply #735 on: 2 Feb 2010, 01:34 am »
K Shep, would you mind to share your experience?

PM sent.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #736 on: 2 Feb 2010, 03:26 am »
Hey K Shep...

No apology needed,  it was just a friendly "hey been there done that"...with this thread getting as large as it is its hard to keep up with it all....please keep the recommendations coming!!

I was just listening to some cuts from some demo discs a friend sent me and they are wonderful..I will have to do some research to figure out what the cds would be etc...I will post in the next few days or so.

I also listened to Michael Buble's "Crazy Love" with my wonderful wife, this is special for me to get her to listen to the stereo in my "man room"  :eyebrows:

She really likes this singer and I was impressed with the dynamics and quality of recording...its a demo candidate for sure.

Back at ya!
Alex
 :wink:

charmerci

« Reply #737 on: 2 Feb 2010, 10:30 am »
Great thing about my computer front end is I am able to listen to Amazon samples through my system.  It isn't the best quality but it helps make a buying decision.

Forget samples. Go to www.musicme.com - you can hear whole albums. It is a French site but even without knowing the language, you can navigate it. (Probably the only useful word you'll need is 'titres' which is titles.

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #738 on: 3 Feb 2010, 12:40 am »

http://www.amazon.com/Riding-King-Eric-Clapton-B/dp/B00004THAY/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1265155371&sr=8-32

I was going through some of my older cd's to see how they sounded on my HT2-TLS and came accross this Eric Clapton disc featuring B B King.  Most of the cuts are good. I would really like for others to listen to No. 8 "Worried Life Blues", which is my favorite.  For those who have played around with the guitar or others that have a ear for guitar will reconize/ hear the tone difference between Clapton's Fender and King's Gretchen and their styles. The Salks just do this wonderfully.

Now this of course is blues so it may not be everyones cupoftea.Of note the Bass Player is Nathan East of the Famed Jazz group of FourPlay another of my favorite music makers.

Let me know what ya think.
Harrison

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #739 on: 3 Feb 2010, 02:01 am »
I'll second the Clapton/King "Ridin' with the King".
Good stuff.

Bob