Outstanding Demo CD's etc...

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
Re: Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« Reply #640 on: 3 Jan 2010, 07:59 pm »
I opened a Salk owners google group.

http://groups.google.com/group/salk-owners

If BobM sends me an email address, I will send him an invite, and he can upload the file, or if he emails me the file, I will upload the file to the group.  I set the group up as public, and anyone will be able to download the file.

The Salk owners google group was starting to get spam, and I changed the group to a membership group.  Consequently, only members will be able to download, modify, and/or upload the file, which is the only content on the group's site. 

If anyone wants access to the Outstanding Demo CD file or wishes to use the site to share other content, please join.
« Last Edit: 3 Jan 2010, 09:40 pm by oneinthepipe »

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #641 on: 5 Jan 2010, 10:02 pm »
Thanks for the help on the Salk Owners Google Group to help keep the spam down and allowing those that want to have access to the list via an spreadsheet!!

I got several new demo 'candidates' today and will hopefully post my opinions on them in the next few days.

All the best
Alex
 aa

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #642 on: 5 Jan 2010, 10:31 pm »
Thanks for the help on the Salk Owners Google Group to help keep the spam down and allowing those that want to have access to the list via an spreadsheet!!

I got several new demo 'candidates' today and will hopefully post my opinions on them in the next few days.

All the best
Alex
 aa

Any member can download the file, modify the file, and upload the file to keep the file up-to-date.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #643 on: 5 Jan 2010, 10:44 pm »
Folks,

For those that wish to join the group for access to the spreadsheet and other features, hereunto unused, please include your Audio Circle user name.  In an effort to evade spiders, if your AC user name is not included and verified, you won't be able to join.

I declined two prospective members application because I couldn't find out who they were on the AC members' pages.

1 INP

taoggniklat

« Reply #644 on: 6 Jan 2010, 10:30 pm »
With regards to the list, am I reading it correctly...

Artist "Album Name" (track name 1) ?

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #645 on: 7 Jan 2010, 02:13 am »
Yes the general format is the Artist, then the CD or Album and sometimes there is a particular track that is mentioned.

In addition you can go to the page that the CD is listed and read additional comments and even send a PM to the person recommending it and ask for other thinks as well.

Thanks for stopping by and be sure to include any demo discs you might want to share.

All the best
Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #646 on: 7 Jan 2010, 02:18 am »
Hello,

I got a copy of Ray LaMontagne's " Till the Sun Turns Black".

The pivotal instrument in this CD is Ray LaMontagne's "voice"!!

This disc is really a gem, the voice is so well recorded!

You can hear so many things in the CD, the reverberations and details are amazing.

There is one track that is an instrumental and the fidelity of the nylon guitar strings are to die for.....its really awesome.

The last cut "Within You" really gets going and sounds so 'full' and its like a breath of fresh air!!

Have I said that the his voice is really done well!!  :wink:

All the best
Alex

TJC712

« Reply #647 on: 7 Jan 2010, 02:23 pm »
Beautiful! Thank you!

Your welcome....how about another. :wink:

One that is an older recording, done in 1962....but a true classic....and well recorded.

Stan Getz and Charlie Byrd..... "Jazz Samba"

Samples....

Another CD featuring some very nice interpretations of Jobim music is Double Rainbow by Joe Henderson. He works with 2 different quality ensembles here (1 Brazilian, 1 American), both sounding great in their own regard. A very, very nice recording!

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #648 on: 7 Jan 2010, 07:49 pm »
Under cover of the word "etc..." in the thread's subject line, I came across what I think is an outstanding sounding drumkit demonstration of a cheap home made microphone in a post in another forum. To see the rest of the thread, click in the upper right corner of this page:
http://tinyurl.com/ycpfo2b

The mics in question are used as overheads and in the first two samples are supplemented with close mics, but in the last two are heard alone.

There is no compression or EQ used and the sound is so much better than I am used to hearing I thought some of you would like to hear it.

This is also a testament to great mixing, mic placement and playing. This is one talented guy.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #649 on: 7 Jan 2010, 11:12 pm »
Hi Russell,

Thanks for the post under the cover of "etc"... :)

Even though this was not and is not the real intent of this thread, thanks for the excursion into a new area...its interesting.

But I think this deserves its own thread etc...this thread is really intended for cd recommendations of outstanding quality.

This suggestion is great but will get lost in such a large running topic.

But this is more about recording outstanding material, related but not the same.

Please do not take this the wrong way, I am a techie and like things like this for sure.

All the best
Alex
 aa

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #650 on: 7 Jan 2010, 11:50 pm »
I guess I focused on the word "demo" as being important - demonstration material for testing or showing off speakers, which I think this is. In fact I think this is the best natural drum sound I've heard.

I am totally easy with the notion of moving the post to another thread, though, if the moderator wants to.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #651 on: 8 Jan 2010, 12:42 am »
Those tracks sound superb to me, Russ, on my little Audioengines.  I have to imagine how they would sound on my system, but I mostly can.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #652 on: 8 Jan 2010, 03:33 am »
No real big deal Russ...but again we started this thread with the intent of looking for those outstanding cds that are stellar, well recorded etc...those that make you say WOW...its "demo cd's" not demo material. I purposely said cds back then to leave out SACD's, 5.1 stuff etc...just good ole 2 ch redbook type cd's that are really, really good. :D

Its fine to talk about this type of material but again with over 99% of this thread being centered around cd's that are well recorded and you can buy etc...this type of discussion will easily be lost in this large thread over time.

Enough said about this from me...back to recommendations...

I finished listening to Quincy Coleman's "Also Known As Mary"...I was really moved by this demo quality cd. I had no idea who this person was until it came recommended by another poster. One of the songs is called Blown Away and its really nice. The recording is well done and there is som much going on in this recordoing its a joy to listen to. Hope you all get a chance to listen to it.

All the best
Alex
 aa

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #653 on: 9 Jan 2010, 11:11 pm »
Ok,

I just finished listening to my second Quincy Coelman CD. This one has two tracks that Jim has on his demo cd'(s).

The album is: Come Closer.

I would not say all the tracks on this cd are Demo quality but most of them are. You can decide which ones are or arent.

Track 5 : Never Happy is a classic for sure.

If you like female voice, and a really good recording this is really one to pick up!

All the best

Alex

aa

WntrMute2

« Reply #654 on: 10 Jan 2010, 12:10 am »
For those into Vinyl.  I found that Little Feet's "Waiting for Columbus" and Janis Ian's "Breaking Silence" are especially dramatic through my new HT-2tls. Worth a listen!

TJC712

« Reply #655 on: 10 Jan 2010, 06:11 am »
Jorma Kaukonen's latest release River of Time is worth checking out. Catch some old pros playing some quality tunes recorded at Levon Helm's studio in Woodstock, NY.

fly_fish_nz

« Reply #656 on: 10 Jan 2010, 06:26 am »
I guess I focused on the word "demo" as being important - demonstration material for testing or showing off speakers, which I think this is. In fact I think this is the best natural drum sound I've heard.

I am totally easy with the notion of moving the post to another thread, though, if the moderator wants to.

Maybe not CD's, but great recordings - thanks and please do start another post if you come across more!

Art_Chicago

« Reply #657 on: 10 Jan 2010, 05:07 pm »
Hey, I am not using and would like to depart with a couple of disks:
SACD hybrid-like new-
http://www.amazon.com/Baroque-Music-Brass-Tomaso-Albinoni/dp/B00009YWAQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1261272312&sr=1-2-spell

and a used CD
http://www.amazon.com/Sticks-Stones-Dave-Grusin/dp/B000008B3Z

First PM will get both for free.

fly_fish_nz

« Reply #658 on: 10 Jan 2010, 06:46 pm »
Hi AC,

I PM'ed you a bit back.  If no one has taken you up on your generous offer, I will.  Just let me know shipping.

Best,

Chris

Art_Chicago

« Reply #659 on: 10 Jan 2010, 07:48 pm »
Sorry Chris, but they are gone now.