Re: Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« Reply #580 on: 9 Dec 2009, 12:53 pm »
Acoustic Alchemy:
Natural Elements
American/English

Strunz & Farah:
Americas
Frontera

Quick buzz thru the entire thread & didn't see any mention of these. If you like acoustic guitar played well check them out.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #581 on: 9 Dec 2009, 01:08 pm »
Natural female vocal CD without any EQ (cept for deepest bass) that I can detect, Sylvia McNair- Sure Thing (Philips).  Previn's piano is very good, also.  Produced by Phil Ramone but without enhancement ala Shelby Lynne's tribute to Dusty Springfield.  Much more natural.  If your speakers and listening seat are correctly placed for your room and your toe-in is spot on, this is hard to beat.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #582 on: 9 Dec 2009, 01:15 pm »
Thanks hikinokie for the Acoustic Alchemy recommendations, I actually have been front row center at one of their first concerts in the USA. It was marvelous.

I have many of their CD's I will give them a listen and see if the overall quality is up to 'demo' standards!!  :D

Jim, thanks for the new female voice recommendation of Sylvia McNair, I have never heard of her..another great reson for this thread to discover new material that is awesome.

All the best
Alex
 aa

hikinokie

« Reply #583 on: 9 Dec 2009, 05:35 pm »
I had been playing my cd's thru my Oppo dvd player & then I bought Emotiva's new cd player & analog preamp. Very nice increase in performance but a lot of my cd's didn't sound any better than when I was using the dvd player. The Strunz & Farah and Acoustic Alchemy cd's were a different story. They must have used a good studio or something because they sound absolutely outstanding.

TJC712

« Reply #584 on: 9 Dec 2009, 09:53 pm »
Acoustic Alchemy:
Natural Elements
American/English

Strunz & Farah:
Americas
Frontera

Quick buzz thru the entire thread & didn't see any mention of these. If you like acoustic guitar played well check them out.

Thanks for the reccos. Somebody had mentioned Strunz & Farah to me a while back and I completely forgot about it. They were highly recommended back then also... thanks for the reminder!  I will certainly pick up some of their stuff to listen to.

TJC712

« Reply #585 on: 11 Dec 2009, 06:03 am »
K Shep!!

David Gray, White Ladder....in one word "WONDERFUL" absolutley a demo pick. Cant thank you enough for this one...now is there anymore of his music out there at this level...

Alex
 aa

I'm glad you're enjoying the CD.  White Ladder is the only album I have of his.  Perhaps others my chime in. 

Alex,

Did you ever check out the Seal CD I recommended?  I looked on Amazon and they want $69 used for the darn thing.  I went back and reviewed my order and I paid $34 for it.  The CD contains 3 discs one original recordings, the second acoustic versions of the originals and third a DVD with surround audio I think, I haven't played the DVD at all.  If you can see yourself paying $69 for Seal I would give it a ride...it is one of the best recordings I have.  Let me know.

Kirk

OK, so I'm a little slow on the draw, but...   I just realized that I had this Seal set here and popped in for a listen. (Was opened, so I must've listened to it at least once... I guess!?!) Anyway, good call, nice sound!  I particularly liked the acoustic cuts... very pleasant on the ears.  Will certainly listen some more. Don't believe that I've ever listened to the DVD either. Will do shortly! Thanks!  TC

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #586 on: 11 Dec 2009, 06:37 am »
Alex...

Here's one to try....a very good recording (on Chesky)...relaxing...talented composer....great guitarist....Brazilian music.....what's not to like... :wink:

Luiz Bonfa - "Non-Stop to Brazil" ....samples...

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #587 on: 12 Dec 2009, 02:37 am »
Hey Chis,

Thanks for the recommendation  I will look into it for sure!

I am without a cd player at the moment, I sent my OPPO BD83 back to become a
BD 83SE!  So I guess I got a new "DAC" !!!  aa

All the best and hope you have a great Christmas and Holiday!!

Alex

K Shep

« Reply #588 on: 12 Dec 2009, 08:33 pm »
I just realized that I had this Seal set here (http://www.amazon.com/Best-1991-2004-CD-DVD-Audio/dp/B00063F8BW/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1260649802&sr=1-17) and popped in for a listen. (Was opened, so I must've listened to it at least once... I guess!?!) Anyway, good call, nice sound!  I particularly liked the acoustic cuts... very pleasant on the ears.

TC,

I too enjoy the acoustic tracks..."Crazy (acoustic)" has become one of my reference songs that I audition gear with.

Kirk

mort

« Reply #589 on: 14 Dec 2009, 05:30 am »
For dynamic range any album by Yellow cant be beat. If you cant stand the music you still will impress people and yourself with a good system.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #590 on: 14 Dec 2009, 06:56 am »
And they're still at it - they had a fresh coming out on Oct 1st to promote their new album "Touch".
trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPm0pE5b6Us&feature=related
promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ275s9R5s4

and singer Dieter Meier's restaurant (!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0l53h46d0U&feature=related

Boris does seem to have a gift for creating bass sounds that flatter most speakers.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #591 on: 14 Dec 2009, 07:09 am »
Their tune "Oh Yeah" from Yello's album "One Second" has been a good track for checking out your bass response and dynamics..... :wink:

http://www.amazon.com/One-Second-Yello/dp/B000001FMS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1260774041&sr=1-5

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #592 on: 14 Dec 2009, 07:19 am »
...and a very catchy track! I found myself saying "ooooohhh, yeeaah!"  at various times throughout the day to my wife's annoyance but my son's delight for days after hearing this.

More than a month has gone by and we still find uses for it.

Be warned!

I think it's pretty funny, but my wife doesn't see any humor in it at all. She hates it, actually!

Judging by the comments under the youtube clip, it polarizes everybody.

Here is the clip - that's Dieter's daughter in the opening scene:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqU_0xpILIU&NR=1

Apparently, Dieter and Boris are both techno recording nuts who ran into each other in the late 70's, mics in their hands, at a car wreckers. They had come to record the sound of the car crusher! Nowadays, Boris has a massive and well cataloged sound samples library.

I edited this to include a good stereo clip of the tune, at the same time Chris posted his link - sorry Chris.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #593 on: 14 Dec 2009, 07:23 am »
...and a very catchy track! I found myself saying "ooooohhh, yeeaah!"  at various times throughout the day to my wife's annoyance but my son's delight for days after hearing this.

More than a month has gone by and we still find uses for it.

Be warned!

I think it's pretty funny, but my wife doesn't see any humor in it at all. She hates it, actually!

Judging by the comments under the youtube clip, it polarizes everybody.

.............. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q7FFjUpVLg

mort

« Reply #594 on: 14 Dec 2009, 10:26 pm »
The Yello song that coutinualy blows my mind is The Race it is the fifth song on their album Flag. The race car imaging is awesome and with a good system at times the back ground clapping can appear to be coming from your side if not slightly behind you.

mort

« Reply #595 on: 14 Dec 2009, 10:42 pm »
Oh Yeah was featured in Ferris Buellers day off. The song makes its debut when Ferris uncovers Camerans fathers Ferrari he is about to steal. Another good artist for refrencing (particularily male vocals) is Cold Play I dont know what type of mic they used on Chriss Martins vocals but they sound heavenly on all of their albums. Happy listening. Mort

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #596 on: 14 Dec 2009, 10:51 pm »
The Yello song that coutinualy blows my mind is The Race it is the fifth song on their album Flag. The race car imaging is awesome and with a good system at times the back ground clapping can appear to be coming from your side if not slightly behind you.
this is probably that sound:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqoQHCNIKTg&feature=related
but the video is here, with inferior sound:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjoQiqY9MN4

charmerci

« Reply #597 on: 15 Dec 2009, 10:21 am »
The Yello song maybe a good "demo" music but it is never anything I would use. (I personally think it is a pretty fun song.) Because it's just all electronic music that simply shows how high your highs and how low your lows can go on a speaker system. You might as well have a PA system to show off that kind of music to impress people.

To me, I emphasize the "outstanding" not the "demo." The recordings that I am looking for should recreate an outstanding performance with the musicians "in my room."

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #598 on: 16 Dec 2009, 04:27 am »
Hello,

I have listened to several samples of Yello, not my cup of tea, but funny, neat, strange, cool?  Who am I to say if this really a demo cd it may well be for some. But I would perfer many others.

We really are looking for those cds that have outstanding sound quality, frequency range, sound staging  and detail.  The music and the performance should be compelling as well. The mastering and all the above should be considered.

When you get done listening you should be saying "WOW" that was really outstanding.

I guess some would say Yello fits that description...cool!! Enjoy!

This is what this thread is all about. Keep the recommendations coming!!

I have several new cds to review, but need my cd player to come back from Oppo!!

Hope to start contributing again next week!!

All the best
Alex
 aa

TJC712

« Reply #599 on: 18 Dec 2009, 03:40 am »
I just realized that I had this Seal set here (http://www.amazon.com/Best-1991-2004-CD-DVD-Audio/dp/B00063F8BW/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1260649802&sr=1-17) and popped in for a listen. (Was opened, so I must've listened to it at least once... I guess!?!) Anyway, good call, nice sound!  I particularly liked the acoustic cuts... very pleasant on the ears.

TC,

I too enjoy the acoustic tracks..."Crazy (acoustic)" has become one of my reference songs that I audition gear with.

Kirk

DVD doesn't disappoint... sounds great!