Outstanding Demo CD's etc...

adydula

• Restricted
Re: Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« Reply #480 on: 5 Oct 2009, 12:19 am »
Hey Guys/Gals...been gone for a few days vacationing in the Blue Ridge Mountains and just got back.

I have several cd's coming in this week, mostly recommendations from the past week or so.

Art..glad you liked the Homage to Duke...its really a treat for sure!  aa

Mathgeek97..yes Paul Simons Graceland is pretty good !!

Hope to post in a few days!!

All the best!
Alex
 :D

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #481 on: 8 Oct 2009, 01:25 pm »
Hello,

I discovered several cds that I have never listened to at all. Some have been around for a few years!

The one I listened to last night was Spyrogyra's " The Deep End". This was done in 2004.

I grew up with these guys and have been to at least 4 of their concerts, so yes I am biased towards this type of jazz and group.

They have 20+ albums out.

In the search for really great cds of demo quality I have not considered many of the early cd's to be of demo quality, even though I like the content very much.

I discovered that the later recordings are very well done and this is a great example of a demo quality CD from Spyrogyra.

Dave Samuels re-appears on this cd on the vibes and he is awesome.

The great thing is this can be bought on Amazon for less than $5! What a deal.

I know this type of jazz may not be your cup of tea, but I think many of you will really enjoy the content and the sounds!

All the best
Alex
 aa
« Last Edit: 8 Oct 2009, 08:10 pm by adydula »

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #482 on: 9 Oct 2009, 05:36 pm »
Congratulations to ALL!!

We have passed the 20,000 views to this thread!!

I hope its been of help to many of you in selecting some really great audio CDs!

Please keep the posts coming!!

All the best
Alex aa

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #483 on: 9 Oct 2009, 11:24 pm »
Shawn Colvin's "Steady On".

Just finished listening to this artist. Sounds really good, the voice at times reminds me of Allison Krauss. Overall its a really good listen at times, what I mean is there are cuts that are really well done, demo quality but others that are close but not really demo quality.

If your looking for another female vocalist this may be it, I have read that there is a follow on CD called Live 88 which has 8 of the ten songs on it that is supposed to be a better recording. I have it on the way and will post the differences later.

Anyone else listen to this CD? The lyrics and songs for the most part are really good, its just a bit lacking at times in the demo part.

All the best
Alex
 aa

TJC712

« Reply #484 on: 10 Oct 2009, 10:39 pm »
Just listened to the Michael Garson CD Serendipity which is a Keith Johnson reference recording from 1986... very well done. Great sound, very innovative piano work... lots of it.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #485 on: 10 Oct 2009, 11:04 pm »
TJC712.

Good Recommendation, for some reason this is very familiar to me, I may actually have it in my collection, with over 300+ cds its getting harder to keep them all straight and organized...maybe its FLAC time for me!!  :wink:

I watched an Aimee Mann DVD in 5.1 sound today and it was very nice, the DVD has a normal cd as well and I will listen to it and see if its demo quality!.

Alex

ctouhey

« Reply #486 on: 11 Oct 2009, 03:16 am »
TJC712.

Good Recommendation, for some reason this is very familiar to me, I may actually have it in my collection, with over 300+ cds its getting harder to keep them all straight and organized...maybe its FLAC time for me!![snip}Alex

I remember when my CD collection hit 300 in the very early 80s.  Got broken into and they were all gone.  Had a few things that were out of print even then.  They took the Coke, but not the Diet Coke; the  Boone's Farm and MD 20/20 (left over from a 60s party) but left the Bordeaux.  Gotta love kids...

Chris

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #487 on: 12 Oct 2009, 12:33 am »
The Aimee Mann cd that is included in the DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/Aimee-Mann-Live-Warehouse-Bonus/dp/B00064VQW6/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1255307448&sr=8-13 

The cd is very well done for a live recording and the kick drum.. when it comes in is very, very nice...the overall song quality on many of the tracks are superb.

The 'Save Me' track is awesome.

All the best
Alex

aa

K Shep

« Reply #488 on: 12 Oct 2009, 05:00 am »
I listened to this tonight at low volume, great stuff.

Tracy Thorn - Out of the Woods
http://www.amazon.com/Out-Woods-Tracey-Thorn/dp/B000KJTCS2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1255323552&sr=1-1

Kirk

ramsey86

« Reply #489 on: 14 Oct 2009, 01:23 pm »
Last night got connected with Ian Hunter Artful Dodger (at 70ish he is still rockin') followed by Pinmonkey's first CD, (nice new country vocals) the Songtowers and AVA ultra set up was right there. Lots of smiles, found myself trying to sing along.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #490 on: 14 Oct 2009, 02:31 pm »
ramsey86,

So cool!! Thanks for sharing...I never heard of Ian Hunter...and or Pinmonkey... I will look into these!

All the best
Alex
 aa

TJC712

« Reply #491 on: 15 Oct 2009, 12:09 pm »
ramsey86,

So cool!! Thanks for sharing...I never heard of Ian Hunter...and or Pinmonkey... I will look into these!

All the best
Alex
 aa

Alex:

Ian Hunter... Mott the Hoople.... All the Young Dudes...  C'mon man, you were around in the 70's (my HS days).  Brings back memories.....

Anyway, this brought me back to older times and I was just listening to Dylan's Blood on the Tracks(hybrid SACD). Although I do find myself getting lost in the lyrics, I found the audio quality to sound quite good on many of the tracks. A good listen for anyone with an appreciation of My. Dylan.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #492 on: 17 Oct 2009, 01:37 am »
Ok,

I am listening to Richard Elliot's "Take to the Skies".

Mellow, Seductive, Groovy...Moody...and yes demo quality.

Enjoy!

Alex
 aa

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #493 on: 18 Oct 2009, 12:08 am »
tjc712...

Yes I was around in the 70's but its amazing on how I really dont remember these guys..Matt the Hoople is familiar, but I did a discography search and I can honestly say "who are these guys!!" Guess after the Beatels, The Stones, Joni Mitchell and Don Mc Leans 'American Pie' this must be the day this music died for me!

:drums:

Alex...smiling a bit and still trying to remember!!

Note: Aimee Manns "@#%&*! Smilers" is playing and its pretty good!

fishinbob

« Reply #494 on: 21 Oct 2009, 12:33 pm »
For a classical moment may I suggest...

excellent Vivaldi and two discs to boot....just short of stunning at
                                                                                                       times.

Big soundstage and precise imaging. Very engaging, especially on SACD. No lullaby.

and thanks to TYSON for this. :kiss: 

:thumb:
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2009, 02:55 pm by fishinbob »

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #495 on: 21 Oct 2009, 02:16 pm »
Hey Bob!

Thanks for the classical recommendations, I like the 'short of stunning' descriptor!

I will look into the Vivaldi and get my feet wet with some outstanding classical stuf..

Again many thanks!!

Alex
 :)

charmerci

« Reply #496 on: 22 Oct 2009, 08:27 pm »
OK Alex,

Twenty-five pages and almost 21,000 views! :rock:

Maybe it's time for an alphabetical index! :D

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #497 on: 22 Oct 2009, 10:31 pm »
Way Cool!

Soon it will be over 30,000 views!! Hooray!

I'm so glad to be a part of all this great music!!

And to think it all started with a search for the best speakers for $2k or so and finding Nuance's journey stuff on AVS Forums..

A call to Jim, an order for some Songs's and what to do in the wait time! Well start a thread on outstanding cd's!

My cd collection has grown in the last year and I have finally started digitizing it and have a new Squeezebox Touch coming in December!!

Hope to again to start posting more recommendations in a few more days, I am trying to get the ripping done etc...

Keep posting you all!

Thanks

Alex
 aa

charmerci

« Reply #498 on: 23 Oct 2009, 09:48 am »
As I'm still stuck with only with a set of headphones, this one seems to sound fantastic -

Brian Wilson's Smile.

I'm pretty sure - but not absolutely positive that I've seen anybody suggest any of these artists with suggestions of great sounding recordings. I think that there are a few within these artists....

Talking Heads
 Neil Young
 Stevie Wonder
 CSN(Y)
 Van Morrison
 Joni Mitchell
 Eric Clapton
 Sting
 Aretha Franklin

Anyone?

martyo

« Reply #499 on: 23 Oct 2009, 12:40 pm »
As I'm still stuck with only with a set of headphones, this one seems to sound fantastic -

Brian Wilson's Smile.

I'm pretty sure - but not absolutely positive that I've seen anybody suggest any of these artists with suggestions of great sounding recordings. I think that there are a few within these artists....

Talking Heads
 Neil Young
 Stevie Wonder
 CSN(Y)
 Van Morrison
 Joni Mitchell
 Eric Clapton
 Sting
 Aretha Franklin

Anyone?

David Crosbys; If I Could Only Remember My Name.
Coming out again on vinyl 11-10-2009