Outstanding Demo CD's etc...

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« Reply #460 on: 23 Sep 2009, 02:13 am »
I much preferred the Whalum cd as the type of music I really, really like in the jazz format...its so warm sensual and the sax sounds so much like a sax...
In that case, have you checked into the Marsalis Brothers?

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #461 on: 23 Sep 2009, 02:51 am »
Hi Bob,
I have the Magic Hour and its a demo quality cd for sure. I think I mentioned it back in May or so. I usually equate the Marsalis brothers as fusion jazz artists which is not my cup of tea, but this cd was done with the some of the jazz classics and its a traditional 4 piece quartet which I like alot.

16Hz...glad you like Dave Grusin, check out Migration as will its also very similiar and good. The GRP label in its day was targeted towards great artists like Lee Ritenour, Amanda McBroom, Thelma Houston, and lots more..check them out they all are pretty well done and depending on your tastes they still hold up very well after all these years for sure!!

Alex

spectralman

« Reply #462 on: 23 Sep 2009, 03:14 am »
Hi All,

After reading all 24 pages, I thought I would throw in a few more that I really use when demoing new equipment or make changes in the system at home:

Diana Krall: Live In Paris, Let's Fall in Love.

Getz/Gilberto (SACD): self-titled, The Girl from Ipanema.

Misty River: Live at the Backgate Stage, just about anything on this CD.  Incredible female vocals/harmonizations in an Americana style.

Johannes Linstead: Guitarra Del Fuego, tracks 1, 3, and 4; great flamenco guitar.

Michael Stearns: The Lost World, tracks 1,2,5, and 7; sort of new age/world music, was on Absolute Sound's Must Have list a few year's ago; has some Really powerful LF stuff on it

Bela Fleck & The Flecktones: UFO Tofu, just about anything.  incredibly dynamic, with the incredible Victor Wooten on bass.  One of their older CDs.

Rebecca Pidgeon (SACD): The Raven, anything.  Great female vocals.

And some classical:

Beethoven Synphony No. 6 ("Pastorale") SACD, Bruno Walter cond. Columbia Symphony Orchestra.  Some of the best reproduction of strings I've heard.

Trittico, Reference Recording 52CD, Frederick Fennel cond. Dallas Wind Ensemble.  Yes, classical music can be dynamic and exciting.

Mephisto & Co., Reference Recording 82CD, Eiji Oue cond. Minnesota Orchestra.  Again, dynaic, exciting, with one of the best recordings of Dukas' "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" I've come across.

Bill

Art_Chicago

« Reply #463 on: 23 Sep 2009, 03:27 am »
Bob, any particular Cd's? Thanks. I really like your jazz recommendations.

Hi All,

And some classical:

Beethoven Synphony No. 6 ("Pastorale") SACD, Bruno Walter cond. Columbia Symphony Orchestra.  Some of the best reproduction of strings I've heard.

Trittico, Reference Recording 52CD, Frederick Fennel cond. Dallas Wind Ensemble.  Yes, classical music can be dynamic and exciting.

Mephisto & Co., Reference Recording 82CD, Eiji Oue cond. Minnesota Orchestra.  Again, dynaic, exciting, with one of the best recordings of Dukas' "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" I've come across.

Bill

Bill, nice recommendations!
You may also want to check the Classical Circle for this kind of music ( I do not know if this is Alex's "cup of tea" :shh:)
 :D

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #464 on: 23 Sep 2009, 11:15 am »
Sure Art!  aa
Jazz is one of my most favorite genres. I could go on for days.  :wink:

By Wynton Marsalis:
- Standard Time Volume 2
- The Magic Hour
Both are what I'd call "traditional" jazz. No fusion, or weird stuff. No "smooth" jazz, no electronic instruments. Classic. Most songs are long, slow and take their time. A 'must have' if you like trumpets. Sounds quality is very good on both counts. Goes well with a glass of red and you're alone.
---------------------------
By Branford Marsalis:
- I Heard You Twice The First Time
Um....Interesting eclectic mix of songs. Ranges from a blues duet with BB King, to some Dixieland jazz, to the chantings of a chain gang (interesting and worth hearing actually), to a guy yelling at passings taxis (?Kinda silly?), to well.....you might want to preview this one on Amazon before you buy. The sounds quality is a step down from the intension of this thread, but the price of admission is well worth the couple great songs on it.
- Comtemporary Jazz
- The Beautiful one's Are Not Yet Born
These two are very nice. Back to more "normal themed" albums. Traditional jazz with a fusion spin on a couple songs. Overall very nice, but there are a couple songs I skip over due to their eclectic/eccentric tempo (think of the band "The Bad Plus" for my definition of eclectic/eccentric). Very good sound quality.

Hope that helps!
Bob

BobM

« Reply #465 on: 23 Sep 2009, 12:30 pm »
Funny how opinions differ. I find Branford Marsalis some of the most difficult jazz to understand or get into. He's taking Coltrane stylings to a new level. Wall of sound indeed. In fact, it's one of the few concerts that I have actually walked out of early.

As for Wynton - you either love him or hate him. I fall into the latter camp, liking maybe 1 out of every 20 of his songs.

The Marsalis clan is making a statement, but it's definitely not for me.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #466 on: 23 Sep 2009, 01:14 pm »
That's alright Bob. I'll still let you be my friend.  :P :wink:

Bob

Art_Chicago

« Reply #467 on: 24 Sep 2009, 02:52 am »
Recommendation Demo Quality:

http://www.amazon.com/Sticks-Stones-Dave-Grusin/dp/B000008B3Z/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1253310286&sr=8-1

1988 Dave and Don Grusin's Sticks and Stones.

Seldom is there a cd that is demo quality and all the tracks on it are up to this high quality.

I have had this cd since 1988 and its a 10 of a 10. Its that good.
It can be had really on the cheap and its worth it.

Trust me if this cd does not make you smile and say WOW then you must not be breathing!!  :D

If you want to see how low and how well your SongTowers will go and perform start with track 8 "This little pig's got the blues" and hang on for the ride.

Go get this now!!!

All the best

Alex
 aa

Ordered this, got it in, it's fabulous, gave it to my son who has a killer stereo in his car....got a text " you're not getting this back " :D

Hey, I just got it, too. And it is disappointing. The sound quality is simply great (demo CD, indeed, Alex), but I guess I am not into disco-jazz (not sure if such a genre exists)  :(
Anyone who is planning to get it, sample it first. I did not look hard enough to find the samples, and got a used CD for 0.99 plus shipping from Amazon. Not a bad deal if you like this kind of music...
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2009, 01:35 am by Art_Chicago »

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #468 on: 24 Sep 2009, 09:51 pm »
Art,

I understand how you feel about this type of music I feel the same way about other styles as well, but many will like it as well...I cant get enough if it...I wouldnt call it disco jazz, and I personally do not have a inkling for disco at all. But be what it is, its well recorded and has a very wide dynamic range etc agree its a demo cd for sure by my standards.

Now Grusin has Gershwin cds that are as well done but some of us will not like these as well as 'those' etc..this is what makes this pastime neat.

I forget who made the comment about classical music not being my cup of tea, but its ok to post the recommendations if you think its demo quality because I dont want to miss out on these for those that are into classical stuff.

Kee them coming!

All the best
Alex
 aa

fishinbob

« Reply #469 on: 24 Sep 2009, 11:41 pm »
Thanks Alex....

Just got this in the mail.
Probably the finest sounding recording of the violin I have heard .... period. Played on a 1714 Strad called the "Dolphin", the sound is incredible on SACD
What a treat for my ribbons :thumb:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #470 on: 25 Sep 2009, 12:16 am »
Hey fishinbob!

Thanks for this one, looks good! I will look into this one for sure!

Alex
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2009, 02:46 am by adydula »

Art_Chicago

« Reply #471 on: 26 Sep 2009, 02:03 am »
Sure Art!  aa
Jazz is one of my most favorite genres. I could go on for days.  :wink:

By Wynton Marsalis:
- Standard Time Volume 2
- The Magic Hour
Both are what I'd call "traditional" jazz. No fusion, or weird stuff. No "smooth" jazz, no electronic instruments. Classic. Most songs are long, slow and take their time. A 'must have' if you like trumpets. Sounds quality is very good on both counts. Goes well with a glass of red and you're alone.
---------------------------
By Branford Marsalis:
- I Heard You Twice The First Time
Um....Interesting eclectic mix of songs. Ranges from a blues duet with BB King, to some Dixieland jazz, to the chantings of a chain gang (interesting and worth hearing actually), to a guy yelling at passings taxis (?Kinda silly?), to well.....you might want to preview this one on Amazon before you buy. The sounds quality is a step down from the intension of this thread, but the price of admission is well worth the couple great songs on it.
- Comtemporary Jazz
- The Beautiful one's Are Not Yet Born
These two are very nice. Back to more "normal themed" albums. Traditional jazz with a fusion spin on a couple songs. Overall very nice, but there are a couple songs I skip over due to their eclectic/eccentric tempo (think of the band "The Bad Plus" for my definition of eclectic/eccentric). Very good sound quality.

Hope that helps!
Bob
Thanks a lot, Bob, I checked out the Magic Hour and it's definitively my kind of jazz :thumb: Have you heard metamorphosen by Branford? it sounds good ( even in mp3) I will pick  a few  CDs by the Marsalis family from the local library!
Have you heard Anat Cohen's Noir and Notes from the village? While the SQ is probably B+, the music is great, just great!Check them out.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #472 on: 26 Sep 2009, 02:24 am »
Art,

I understand how you feel about this type of music I feel the same way about other styles as well, but many will like it as well...I cant get enough if it...I wouldnt call it disco jazz, and I personally do not have a inkling for disco at all. But be what it is, its well recorded and has a very wide dynamic range etc agree its a demo cd for sure by my standards.

Now Grusin has Gershwin cds that are as well done but some of us will not like these as well as 'those' etc..this is what makes this pastime neat.

I forget who made the comment about classical music not being my cup of tea, but its ok to post the recommendations if you think its demo quality because I dont want to miss out on these for those that are into classical stuff.

Kee them coming!

All the best
Alex
 aa

Alex, I am not sure how to respond. My point is you can keep this thread open for everyone and avoid statements like "Trust me if this cd does not make you smile and say WOW then you must not be breathing" and focus on the sound qualtiy only. I know it is HARD  to like well recorderd music that you do not like. That's what I feel about Stones and Sticks. It may not be a disco-jazz, but I have not come up with a better definition. Sorry if it offended you, I did not mean that.
Regards,
Art

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #473 on: 26 Sep 2009, 02:53 am »
Hey Art...

No offense taken...nuff said the comment i made about you must be not breathing was made in jest..keep posting all those great cds that you think worth posting whether I like them or not! That be modern, classical, disco jazz or whatever catgegory they may be in...as long as they are good thats what this thread is all about!

Working on digesting a Geroge Gershwin cd right now!!

All the best
Alex
 aa

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #474 on: 28 Sep 2009, 02:00 am »
Ok,

One of the recent recommentations was "Homage to Duke" by Dave Grusin. Thanks to TJC712!! :D

This is a demo quality cd, for the quality and the content.

What a wonderful sonic dream!

Track 3 , Satin Doll
Track 5, Just Squeeze Me
Track 9, Sophisticated Lady
Tracl 10, Talk the A Train..

ok...they all are classics and all are good.
The piano harmonics and overtones are to die for.
The drum whacks, the image and depth are sweet!

Everyone should have a classic cd like this, Duke ...this is out of the  American Music book...simply timeless.
It is a sonic picture of a time long past.... aa

Maybe not everyone will like the big band sound, I know when I was younger this would not be something I would appreciate....man am I glad I can appreciate this now.

This is a cd to take to your audition for new speakers or whatever!!

All the best
Alex
 aa

modode

« Reply #475 on: 1 Oct 2009, 04:49 pm »
Enjoying the thread tremendously.  Couldn't agree more with many of the recommendations listed, including Allison Krauss, Joss Stone, Dire Straights, the Cowboy Junkies, Steely Dan, etc.  Many others I'm not familiar with but plan to check out.

A few I didn't see mentioned, but worth listening to thru excellent speakers such as Salks:

Beck.  This man's musical genius is underrated and overlooked by many.  The creativity and diversity of the music he creates is amazing.  All his albums are great, but recommend demo'ing his "Mutations" CD, especially the track "Tropicalia".

Soul Coughing.  Admittedly, this is not everyone's cup of tea.  An unusual alternative 90's band described by one critic as "Deep Slacker Jazz".  Do yourself a favor and listen just for the excellent stand-up bass, if nothing else.  Check out the tracks "Super Bon Bon" from the album "Irresistible Bliss", and "Uh, Zoom Zip" from the album "Ruby Vroom".

Paul Simon.  Surprised to see him not mentioned here.  "Still Crazy after All These Years" never gets old, nor does the (very different) "The Rhythm of the Saints".

Lloyd Cole and the Commotions.  The first thirty seconds of the song "Are You Ready to Be Heartbroken" are some of the most beautiful I've ever heard thru fine speakers.

Shawn Colvin.  I can't recommend her debut album "Steady On" strongly enough.  One of my favorite albums of all time, an acoustic masterpiece.  Strong vocals and guitar, emotionally raw.  The first three tracks still give me chills years later.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #476 on: 2 Oct 2009, 01:39 am »
modode,

I am glad your enjoying the thread, its good to hear from people like yourself that have found some really good cds to listen and to experience.

Thanks for your recommendations, Beck is familiar to me but I have none of his material, Shawn Colvin is an unknown to me..I look forward to listening to these artists and I will get back to you on my impressions.

Again Welcome and keep those awesome cd recommendations coming!!

All the Best!

Alex
 aa

Art_Chicago

« Reply #477 on: 2 Oct 2009, 03:03 am »
Alex,
I just received "Homage to Duke" and I really liked it  :thumb: Excellent sound quality, too.

Modode, thanks, I am going to check out your recommendations. I like Shawn Colvin as they broadcast her on the 93.1 FM WXRT (Chicago) quite often.

charmerci

« Reply #478 on: 3 Oct 2009, 10:31 am »

That's what I feel about Stones and Sticks.

Uh, that's Styx and Stones!  :wink:

mathgeek97

« Reply #479 on: 3 Oct 2009, 05:58 pm »
A few I didn't see mentioned, but worth listening to thru excellent speakers such as Salks:

Paul Simon.  Surprised to see him not mentioned here.  "Still Crazy after All These Years" never gets old, nor does the (very different) "The Rhythm of the Saints".

At the mention of Paul Simon, I pulled out a copy of Graceland, which I haven't touched in a long time.  Conclusion: "Diamonds on the Souls of Her Shoes" is a great track for showing off my HT2-TLs.  A Capella singing from Ladysmith Black Mambazo sounds clear and articulate and about as good as hearing them live.  The fretless bass playing is amazing and really needs a musical lower-end coming from a good set of speakers to really shine.  Take THAT, all you one-note-bass-playing speakers!  My Salks rule :)
-Kevin

(Yikes, I sound like a Salk fanboy!  Point is, I think a track like this will help to differentiate different models of speakers.)