Outstanding Demo CD's etc...

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« Reply #400 on: 5 Sep 2009, 08:26 pm »
Has Donald Fagen "Morph the Cat" been mentioned yet?

Bob

As good as it is on cd, it is even better as a DVD-A in hi-rez.   aa

George

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #401 on: 5 Sep 2009, 10:46 pm »
Best demo CD I have is Mozart's darkest and stormiest piano concertos, performed by the 2 best Mozart performers of the modern era.  Soundstage, tonality, dynamics, performances, all of it is outstanding.  Brendel and Mackerras just have not been matched in these works, IMO:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #402 on: 5 Sep 2009, 11:58 pm »
Has Donald Fagen "Morph the Cat" been mentioned yet?

Bob

As good as it is on cd, it is even better as a DVD-A in hi-rez.   aa

George
Send it to me. I'll trade you for.....???  :icon_twisted:

Bob

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #403 on: 6 Sep 2009, 01:00 pm »
Hello,

I am listening to: Jenna Mammina - "Under the Influence" and I am happy to say this is a really good recording, well done and the vocals are nice...the content is slow and deliberate, very sensual at times....this woman has real talent and this is a nice demo cd.

Track 2, Track 5 (kick drum).etc....really nice..

Thanks for this recommendatio, I will be looking into her other recording s for sure..

I have receved some remasters of good old Elton John, but they are on the bottom of the pile to listen to!

Tyson..thanks for the Mozart recommendation, I will look into this for sure!

Donald Fagen "Morph the CatThanks this isnt in the thread as far as I can recall.

All the best
Alex

aa

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #404 on: 6 Sep 2009, 08:00 pm »
Hello...

Its a wonderful time again...when I first started this thread months ago I was looking for the really good stuff to play on my new SongTowers, and always longed for those great early bands we grew up with like the Beatles, the Stones, Elton etc...but most of these early recordings in mono and 2 track analog tape to very munch compromised vinyl recordings really sounded like well...ok not like demo quality cds made today with all the great digital recording equipment...

Well the times are changing..the entire Beatles collection is coming out on Sept 9, all remastered etc, as well as Eltons stuff...will it be demo quality , this yet remains to be seen but I did get three of the remastered cds from Elton Johns early days....comments follow!!

I just listened to Elton Johns "Madman Across the Water" from 1971, his third album. Its the newly re-mastered CD, remastered by Gus Dudgeon, Tony Cousins and Crispin Murray i London.

According to the liner notes, all the tapes used create these new masters are the original mixes. But they go on to say that many of the tapes are at least 25 years old, they have "softened up" to varying degrees. So the sound has been passed through the most up to date digital processing equipment, at 20 bit resolution, namely the Sadie Digital System and Prism Super Noise Shaper. The effect is to enhance rather than "color" the sound. AS the original producer he states he would have used this equipment at the time had it been availablef for remastering. The very nature of the analog recordings being transferred to vinyl way back then demanded major compromises. With the benefits of digital sound these contstraints are removed and the recordings can be heard much closer to the reproduction they had originally intended....

So how does it sound, compared to my original vinyl...absolutely wonderful...there still is a lack of the low end, bass and drum whacks etc..but that said its as a good as its going to get for this early stuff...for us old guys!!

So if your looking for the early stuff, from all those wonderful bands..its indeed a wonderful time to be able to re-listen to this stuff as it comes out remastered.

So maybe these new remastered cds will not have the dynamic range that can be had today, but they stand to be something that a lot of us will buy and listen to and smile alot!!

So these are demo cds in their right, just not maybe up to the absolute audiophile standards we see today in many of the recording recommended througout this thread!

All the best..and enjoy!

Alex
 aa

TJC712

« Reply #405 on: 7 Sep 2009, 12:35 am »
Glad to hear Alex (as a fellow old guy!). I plan on ordering the new Beatles release so I'll let you know. Before you know it, we'll have improved versions of tunes from The Zombies, Classics IV, Lovin' Spoonful, Turtles, Kinks, Blood Sweat & Tears, Herman's Hermits, Chad & Jeremy, Gerry & the Pacemakers, all the Motown stuff, etc.

BTW... somebody did mention Morph the Cat somewhere back in this thread. I remember reading it and thinking that it was a great selection. Kudos to whoever it was!

MaxCast

« Reply #406 on: 7 Sep 2009, 01:02 am »
Hello,

I am listening to: Jenna Mammina - "Under the Influence" and I am happy to say this is a really good recording, well done and the vocals are nice...the content is slow and deliberate, very sensual at times....this woman has real talent and this is a nice demo cd.

Track 2, Track 5 (kick drum).etc....really nice..

Thanks for this recommendatio, I will be looking into her other recording s for sure..

All the best
Alex

aa
I listened to that last night.  I have to say I enjoy her other two albums a bit more.  Although Take My Sugar to Tea always puts a smile on my face.

She is in Town this weekend and has a concert tomorrow at the SJRYC (St. Joseph River Yacht Club). 
http://www.sjryc.com/
I hope I get to go, but we have a birthday party to go to  :|  I also have read "new CD release" on the posters so I hope she has a new one out for us.  Take care, glad you liked it.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #407 on: 7 Sep 2009, 04:15 pm »
KShep..

Listening to : Madeline Peyroux - Bare Bones.

Much better than Careless Love as far as recording etc...

Here voice is really unique and very warm...this recording allows it to shine very well.

It seeme like whoever is recording, mastering  and mixing her songs is doing it on what I call the 'warm side'...to accentuate her warm voice??

Anyhow this one is demo quality for sure whether you like the content etc...

I really like the slow, deliberate tunes she sings on this CD.

Glad I gave here another try!!

Thanks for the recommendation!

All the best
Alex
 aa

TJC712

« Reply #408 on: 9 Sep 2009, 12:10 am »
Hello...

Its a wonderful time again...when I first started this thread months ago I was looking for the really good stuff to play on my new SongTowers, and always longed for those great early bands we grew up with like the Beatles, the Stones, Elton etc...but most of these early recordings in mono and 2 track analog tape to very munch compromised vinyl recordings really sounded like well...ok not like demo quality cds made today with all the great digital recording equipment...

Well the times are changing..the entire Beatles collection is coming out on Sept 9, all remastered etc, as well as Eltons stuff...will it be demo quality , this yet remains to be seen but I did get three of the remastered cds from Elton Johns early days....comments follow!!

I just listened to Elton Johns "Madman Across the Water" from 1971, his third album. Its the newly re-mastered CD, remastered by Gus Dudgeon, Tony Cousins and Crispin Murray i London.

According to the liner notes, all the tapes used create these new masters are the original mixes. But they go on to say that many of the tapes are at least 25 years old, they have "softened up" to varying degrees. So the sound has been passed through the most up to date digital processing equipment, at 20 bit resolution, namely the Sadie Digital System and Prism Super Noise Shaper. The effect is to enhance rather than "color" the sound. AS the original producer he states he would have used this equipment at the time had it been availablef for remastering. The very nature of the analog recordings being transferred to vinyl way back then demanded major compromises. With the benefits of digital sound these contstraints are removed and the recordings can be heard much closer to the reproduction they had originally intended....

So how does it sound, compared to my original vinyl...absolutely wonderful...there still is a lack of the low end, bass and drum whacks etc..but that said its as a good as its going to get for this early stuff...for us old guys!!

So if your looking for the early stuff, from all those wonderful bands..its indeed a wonderful time to be able to re-listen to this stuff as it comes out remastered.

So maybe these new remastered cds will not have the dynamic range that can be had today, but they stand to be something that a lot of us will buy and listen to and smile alot!!

So these are demo cds in their right, just not maybe up to the absolute audiophile standards we see today in many of the recording recommended througout this thread!

All the best..and enjoy!

Alex
 aa

I was at a local FYE store tonight (NY) and had the 2009 Beatles Stereo box set in my hands. They actually refused to sell it to me until tomorrow... "clerk shouldn't have taken it out". They only had 3 in the store (I was taking 2). In hindsight, I probably saved a few $$ since they wanted $250 ea. I see that Bestbuy is selling for $200.  Very anxious to get a listen! Hope to not be too disappointed. Alex, your post gives me hope....

K Shep

« Reply #409 on: 9 Sep 2009, 12:16 am »
KShep..

Listening to : Madeline Peyroux - Bare Bones.

Much better than Careless Love as far as recording etc...

Here voice is really unique and very warm...this recording allows it to shine very well.

It seeme like whoever is recording, mastering  and mixing her songs is doing it on what I call the 'warm side'...to accentuate her warm voice??

Anyhow this one is demo quality for sure whether you like the content etc...

I really like the slow, deliberate tunes she sings on this CD.

Glad I gave here another try!!

Thanks for the recommendation!

All the best
Alex
 aa

I am a fan of the sound of her vocals as well.  I would describe it as a vintage sound but good quality.  Smokey.

I am glad you enjoy Bare Bones.

Kirk

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #410 on: 9 Sep 2009, 12:28 am »
Kirk,

Smokey..thats good, exactly.

On the remastered cds...the one Elton John was good, but the second one I listened to "Elton John" - Elton John is just not that good at all...a couple of nice tunes but not that well remastered at all...quite a dissapointment!!

Finger Crossed...and you need to get the Mono and Stereo version of the Beatles!!  aa

That's almost a cool $400+ bucks!!

Smiling

Alex

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #411 on: 9 Sep 2009, 03:09 am »
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells, Pt. 1

My volume knob just tends to love this tune.  8)

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #412 on: 9 Sep 2009, 06:09 pm »
Wow...Tublar Bells!!

I actually have the original vinyl....havent listened to this is "ages"..

I will have to go buy this one again!!

Thanks

Alex

mathgeek97

« Reply #413 on: 9 Sep 2009, 07:55 pm »
"The Beatles in Stereo?"
Has anybody bought/listened to this, yet?  Bloomberg has a glowing review from Mark Beech.  He was impressed with the clarity and the separation of instruments that he was finally able to make out, while studio background noise was not eliminated.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #414 on: 10 Sep 2009, 01:51 am »
mathgeek97..

Mine are on the way...Stereo version....time will tell.

All the best
Alex
 aa

TJC712

« Reply #415 on: 10 Sep 2009, 04:05 am »
"The Beatles in Stereo?"
Has anybody bought/listened to this, yet?  Bloomberg has a glowing review from Mark Beech.  He was impressed with the clarity and the separation of instruments that he was finally able to make out, while studio background noise was not eliminated.

Yeah, was able to buy the only 2 copies they had in FYE today. At $225 ea. a bit pricey, but they had em... I wanted em. The old "bird in hand" thing. As a matter of fact 1 of the 2 was the opened store demo, but I took it anyway (needed birthday gift for my son!). Just really started listening a little while ago, but I'm really liking what I hear. Most of what I had read in early previews/reviews pretty accurate. As you mentioned, clarity, separation noticeably improved. The sound has just opened up considerably. Bass & drums definitely more prominent (McCartney's melodic bass lines on Something much enhanced... sounds great!).  Will provide more info as I get a chance to listen... hopefully sooner than later! Lots of music to listen to.

TJC712

« Reply #416 on: 10 Sep 2009, 04:27 am »
As I sit & listen some more to various cuts from different albums... harsher guitar strings, clearer highhats/tambourines, more pronounced background vocals, more mic noise... it's like a "filter" has been removed from Beatle tunes I've heard thousands of times before. Very nice....

fishinbob

« Reply #417 on: 11 Sep 2009, 03:28 pm »
I will most likely pick up Yellow Submarine and Let It Be soon. Went to BB to buy a couple and ended up with a dozen :oops: The Box sets were gone by the time I showed up or I would have most likely gotten one of them.

FWIW, Because from Abbey Road is now one of  my demo cuts :thumb: Very clean...I'm impressed.

Don_S

« Reply #418 on: 11 Sep 2009, 04:06 pm »
May I suggest that to keep this thread fresh all future Beatles reissue comments go on an existing thread?

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=71535.msg668878;topicseen#new

Sorry to spoil the Beatles love fest here but they have already been mentioned on this thread so let's move on and keep new ideas coming. 

If you have not figured it out yet, I am not a Beatles fan and don't see what all the fuss is about.  :scratch: That is ok, everyone gets to make their own choices.  I just resent the way Beatles reproduce and totally take over a thread.  I keep looking at this thread so I can find "NEW" music.

fishinbob

« Reply #419 on: 11 Sep 2009, 05:40 pm »
 :violin: