Outstanding Demo CD's etc...

TJC712

Re: Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« Reply #300 on: 5 Aug 2009, 02:59 am »
Here's a disk I was turned onto last year. It's kind of electronica, but with a distinctive percussion bent, due to the participation of Trilok Gurtu. It's called "Miles_Gurtu":
http://www.amazon.com/Miles_Gurtu-Robert-Miles/dp/B0001AVZ5S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1249388875&sr=1-1

Did anyone mention Esperanza's debut album yet?
http://www.amazon.com/Esperanza-Spalding/dp/B0014HC56K/ref=pd_sim_m_6

Or Roy Hargrove (either of these 2):
http://www.amazon.com/Hargrove-Quintet-Robinson-Clayton-Coleman/dp/B0016OMFPW/ref=pd_sim_m_1
http://www.amazon.com/Moment-Roy-Hargrove-Strings/dp/B00004SC6T/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1249389004&sr=1-5

Bob

Very fond of Esperanza's CD. Very refreshing, eclectic mix of tracks that I find well recorded. Although I've heard Roy Hargrove's music (and enjoy), I don't own any of his stuff. I will order these and take a listen.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #301 on: 5 Aug 2009, 05:55 am »
Here's a disk I was turned onto last year. It's kind of electronica, but with a distinctive percussion bent, due to the participation of Trilok Gurtu. It's called "Miles_Gurtu":
http://www.amazon.com/Miles_Gurtu-Robert-Miles/dp/B0001AVZ5S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1249388875&sr=1-1

Bob

Great recommendation Bob I am a fan of Robert Miles.  I gave Miles_Gutru a quick listen and it sounds great.  My order is placed with Amazon.

Bob is on the money here Alex...its a very good CD...
One of the N.Y. Raver's (Mike/mfsoa) brought it to our attention at a Rave at Audio Connection...everyone present asked what was playing...good stuff. :wink:

TJC712

« Reply #302 on: 5 Aug 2009, 03:31 pm »
I agree with your Bob James assessments. Some great stuff that I haven't listened to in quite some time. Funny you bring this up because I just ordered the dvd "An evening with Fourplay, Vols 1 & 2 last night. I now run the HT fronts thru my 2 channel gear utilizing the HT bypass. Cool stuff.

Arrived this morning... just listened to the first 2 tracks... buy the DVD.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #303 on: 6 Aug 2009, 12:13 am »
Hello,

I am not a real electronic music fan or person, but I always am open to at least trying new music etc..

I just got thru listening to: Royksopp: Melody A.M.

Well.....its not my cup of tea, but its a good demo cd  if you like this type of music.

I would describe this as electic and or techno-disco synthesized music.

Its not that recognizable or familiar but it does go all over the place high  to low etc and does give your system a good workout.

Its funny way back when....when New Age Jazz started appearing in the 80's I really liked  that..and this is just that gone further off in that area...

Maybe in my new old age my tastes are getting more conservative "wheres that Sinatra record???"

In all seriousness thanks for the recommendation, you never know unless you try things new if something is enjoyable to your or not.

I have a few more electronic recommendations on their way, who knows...I just might really dig one of them..

All the best
Alex
 aa

TJC712

« Reply #304 on: 6 Aug 2009, 01:36 am »
OK "old timer" try Harry Allen's I Won't Dance or Harry Allen Meets the John Pizzarelli Trio. Nothing electronic or techno there.

charmerci

« Reply #305 on: 6 Aug 2009, 06:54 am »
I was wondering where this thread went! It moved closer to just right under my nose!  :duh:

For great live big band music (not like your father's early Benny Goodman) - Count Basie - One O'Clock Jump (Don't  :roll: but it's the "cheapo" Laserlight disc.) The sound is unbelievable and the 17 band members play much tighter than most trios. You would never guess that this music was recorded in 1960. Your hard rock friends will be mightily impressed with this one, especially the drumming.

K Shep

« Reply #306 on: 6 Aug 2009, 05:19 pm »
Hello,

I am not a real electronic music fan or person, but I always am open to at least trying new music etc..

I have a few more electronic recommendations on their way, who knows...I just might really dig one of them..

I appreciate your honesty.  IMO the synthetic sound of Electronic is sometimes tiresome.  I also find much of Electronic repetitious.  But I love the beat and an album like Uberzone - Ideology, that I recommended, has beat that I can actually feel while sitting in my listening chair.

I have many more recommendations of well recorded music.  I will specify what style of music it is and keep on sharing.  This a great thread and I am happy to contribute.

Male Vocal
David Gray - White Ladder
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010VHXO4/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

Kirk

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #307 on: 7 Aug 2009, 01:33 am »
Hello Charmerci!

Gald you found us in the new sticky!! I am glad all the recommendations are on top and wont get lost....there are a lot of really good suggestions throughout this thread.

I will look into the Count Basie suggestion for sure!! Thanks for this one!!
Note: There are several versions of this on Amazon, do you have a specific link for the one you have?

Kirk...

Cool! I ordered the David Gray, sounds like I will like it, hope its well recorded!!  :D

Alex

jsalk

« Reply #308 on: 7 Aug 2009, 04:15 am »
Alex and everyone...

First of all, thanks for all the great input.  I made this thread a sticky since people are always looking for great recordings and it is sometimes difficult to know what to buy. 

I have purchased so many CD's over the years only to be disappointed when I got them home, I probably purchase fewer than I would if I only knew what to buy.  This thread can be of great value to those who find themselves in the same predicament.

That said, let's say I was to go out and purchase 10 CD's.  I would be looking for the 10 CD's that were the best in terms of sound quality, frequency range, sound staging  and detail.  The music and the performance should be compelling as well.

If you had to live with just 10 CD's that would demonstrate the current state of recording art, which 10 CD's would they be?

In other words, if you feel so inclined, let's see what CD's are on your personal 10-best list.  List away...

- Jim

TJC712

« Reply #309 on: 7 Aug 2009, 04:41 am »
Alex and everyone...

First of all, thanks for all the great input.  I made this thread a sticky since people are always looking for great recordings and it is sometimes difficult to know what to buy. 

I have purchased so many CD's over the years only to be disappointed when I got them home, I probably purchase fewer than I would if I only knew what to buy.  This thread can be of great value to those who find themselves in the same predicament.

That said, let's say I was to go out and purchase 10 CD's.  I would be looking for the 10 CD's that were the best in terms of sound quality, frequency range, sound staging  and detail.  The music and the performance should be compelling as well.

If you had to live with just 10 CD's that would demonstrate the current state of recording art, which 10 CD's would they be?

In other words, if you feel so inclined, let's see what CD's are on your personal 10-best list.  List away...

- Jim
I'm out! (Feel like Kramer in the infamous Seinfeld "Master of My Own Domain" episode. This one's impossible for me, personally. The mere thought of trying to isolate just 10 CD's would pretty much make my head explode. I'm afraid that I'd end up in a straight jacket incoherently muttering artists' names, album names, numbers 1 thru 10... in no particular order! Look forward to the attempts of others though!

TJC712

« Reply #310 on: 7 Aug 2009, 04:47 am »
Hello Charmerci!

Gald you found us in the new sticky!! I am glad all the recommendations are on top and wont get lost....there are a lot of really good suggestions throughout this thread.

I will look into the Count Basie suggestion for sure!! Thanks for this one!!
Note: There are several versions of this on Amazon, do you have a specific link for the one you have?

Kirk...

Cool! I ordered the David Gray, sounds like I will like it, hope its well recorded!!  :D

Alex

If you guys like the Basie Band, pick up the JVC XRCD version of 88 Basie Street. Little pricey but great sound quality.

charmerci

« Reply #311 on: 7 Aug 2009, 02:03 pm »
Here's the Basie link -

http://www.amazon.com/One-OClock-Jump-Count-Basie/dp/B000001VU3/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1249653135&sr=1-3

50 cents used? $3 new? You can't lose on this one.

As for the 88 Basie St. (rec. 1983) - I've never heard it but jazz performances were so much tighter before the late 60's. My favorite Basie band was the one with Sonny Paine on drums and Eddie Jones on bass. For me, it's music first. I'd rather listen to great performances with mediocre sound than mediocre performances with the musicians in the room. Of course, we're talking here about a thousand shades of gray.

TJC712

« Reply #312 on: 7 Aug 2009, 03:26 pm »
Here's the Basie link -

http://www.amazon.com/One-OClock-Jump-Count-Basie/dp/B000001VU3/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1249653135&sr=1-3

50 cents used? $3 new? You can't lose on this one.

As for the 88 Basie St. (rec. 1983) - I've never heard it but jazz performances were so much tighter before the late 60's. My favorite Basie band was the one with Sonny Paine on drums and Eddie Jones on bass. For me, it's music first. I'd rather listen to great performances with mediocre sound than mediocre performances with the musicians in the room. Of course, we're talking here about a thousand shades of gray.

That's what makes it so nice when you stumble across recordings that offer both. True gems, indeed!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #313 on: 7 Aug 2009, 05:11 pm »
I had hopped up on my soapbox several pages ago about the XRCD of "88 Basie Street". If memory serves, Alex (our O.P.) bought the disc and enjoyed it. Good to see more folks that have heard, and recommend this disc. It's one of my top ten. But like Mr. TJC712, I'd have a hard time creating a list of my top ten.

Not sure if I mentioned it in a previous post, but Lyle Lovett have several great CDs as far as sound quality is concerned. "Joshua Judges Ruth" comes to mind, but there are others.

Great thread fellas. Glad to see it become a sticky.
Bob

BobM

« Reply #314 on: 7 Aug 2009, 05:25 pm »
I had hopped up on my soapbox several pages ago about the XRCD of "88 Basie Street".

Ahh, but it still doesn't beat the vinyl version from Acoustic Sounds, especially the 45 RPM version.  :notworthy:

There's also Stevie Ray Vaughan's Couldn't Stand the Weather, especially the track "Tin Pan Alley". But that too is shamed by the vinyl IMO.

I've found Joe Zawinul's albums to have really good sound and music on them, in a uniquely Zawinul type of way, especially "Vienna Nights".

Searching the Eurpean jazz theme I can also recommend Eberhard Weber's "Endless Days" (as well as mostly all the rest of his catalogue too).

ECM has some very nice stuff in general. Very well recorded and usually excellent music. You can't go wrong here (but again, the vinyl does sound superior).

stlrman

« Reply #315 on: 7 Aug 2009, 07:27 pm »
Jim,
10 best reference cd's. (hmmm..)
 My reference collection of cd's is getting pretty large and I would like to share as many as I can over the next few weeks.
With that being said , I just purchased about 10 SACD's and I would probibly pick any of these over any cd to demo for a friend to listen what is possible as far as sound quality and my systems outstanding attributes.  I started a thread over on the high resolution circle for those interested.
I plan on buying as many SACD's in the future as I can afford.
The cd catalog is so much more expansive than SACD's. It also more fun , as I can walk down the St. to a great used cd store and pick up great jazz, classical and rock for $2.50 and up.
 1. David Sanborn :  Upfront         This is an outstading album and every cut is great !! There are many cuts on this album that really show off base, base slam ,and dynamics galore and of course saxaphone and highs . If your speakers are bright with horns you will find out fast on a couple of tracks, there are one or two that I skip sometimes. Test tracks are 1,2,4,5,8,9 for me
 2.&3. Cassandra Wilson : New Moon Daughter and Blue Light Till dawn   Both of these albums are gems and very close to perfect as far as music and sound are concerned.They are recorded on Blue Note Records.  ( every blue note cd  that I own is of audiophile quality )( BLue Light cd on amazon for 76 cents)
Blue Light Till Dawn   is a master piece and very well recorded   ( my test tracks are song two  Come Into My Kitchen , if you play this cut to an non-audiophile person and they don't come away understanding what this hobby is about..  they will . If they are not slack jawed then your system blows.  Bass notes are long and way cool , bass slam from drum kit , powerful acoustic strings, Cassandras' voice ,and just a tremendous jazz -blues song make this a perfect test song. Other great test track I enjoy (tack 7: Sankofa , all voice harmony) tracks 8 and 9 Redbone for drums and funk song.  (track 10 is tupelo honey , her version is a stunner and sound throught this cd is amazing ) Honestly almost all of the 12 tracks can be used for demo.
New Moon Daughter    is a master piece and very well recorded You can use all songs on this cd to demo a system in my mind. My favorite for demo songs are 1,2,3,and 4 (voice,strings,bass should be powerful ,deep and tuneful ) but choose your favorites. Once againall twelve tracks on here are epic in both recording and music.  These two Cassandra cd's are perfect listening !!
 4. The Hunter  By Jennifer Warnes   manty are very familiar with this cd and Famous Blue Riancoat
The first time I heard track one Rock You Gently , I played the intro, the first maybe 5 seconds , over 15 times , as I could not believe the sound and slam . I remember listening  and saying, "this is how a cd SHOULD sound ! "  When you hear this cd ,and you should own it, it should be in Aha moment. It also may make 90 % of your cd collection sound inferior. This album is so well recorded that every cut except 6 The Whole Of The Moon can be used as a demo track. My favorites are 1,2,4,7,8       An audiophile must have cd !!
Rob Wasserman  (bass player extrodinare , has played In the Jerry Garcia Band I think atleast in some acoustic relation to Jerry Garcia)
 5. Rob Wasserman   DUETS     I am going to say that many if all of the tracks on here are super well recorded and make good demos for one reason or another   If you like music and well recorded music BUY this cd. Obviously many of the tracks are awesome for bass (duh) ,but also for voice, dynamics,  If the cd does not sound good on your system, sell your system  Lol :icon_lol:
Seriously, duets include Ricky Lee Jones, Aaron Neville on opening track ,Boby McFerrin, Lou Reed, Jennifer Warnes, Dan Hicks, Stepane Grappelli awesome Over The Rainbow, Cheryl Bentyne
I consider this a must have cd for sound and astonishingly great music and complilations . This compilation should lead you to many fine musicians if you haven't heard of a few. Or just play this one 5 thousand times.  :D
 6. Rob Wasserman :  TRIOS
As with DUETS , Trios   every cut on here is of highest sound quality and the album is a force in great songs and musicians collaborating to create a work of art . I will list only some of the collaborating artist and not by trios specifically.  (Brian Wison, Branford Marsalis, Elvis Costello, Bob Weir,Jerry Garcia, Neil Young, Chris Whitley and Les Claypool, Bruce Hornsby, Edie Brickell, Willie Dixon, and others. Awesome album/achievement !! All cuts are demos, pick your favorites
Rob Wasserman:  SPACE ISLAND   Rob Wasserman understands how to engineer a wonderful sounding cd !!         Space Island is a different beest then Duets or Trios      This is Rob's insane bass both in sound quality and execution , mixed with samples ,some beats ,a tabla player and singer. I would call this a fusion album.   Test tracks for me are  3,5,6,7,8 and 11   You may like others better . The sound ,as in all of Rob's albums ,should pin you in your seat. I also consider this a masterwork album. Some people may find it weird , I enjoy every song ! and I am not really into this type of fusion sound. The sound is great, and the song's arrangements are top notch in my opinion.
7. Hugh Masekala  Hope    What an insanely great album this is !!!  Hugh should be a world heritage site himself! :thumb:
Sound is reference quality throughout. If you have some extra dough and have never heard of him skip the cd and buy the SACD ( which I have not heard it, but will be buying it, its a pricey one, about 30 bucks) If the SACD is 5 % to 10 %  it is worth it to me ,as this album is so worthy of the best sound available. That being said  "DO NOT BUY THE SACD  !!  lol 8) The sound on this cd is so freakin dynamic,explosive, and crystal clear that there is NO  need to buy the SACD !!! (I'm still buying it ,as their is no need but I want it ! I will report on it in the high resolution cirlcle. lol)       HOPE  is a must have audiophile cd !!
Hugh sings and plays the most amazing trumpet. His solos will lift your your spirit !  I will try to explain the style of his music.   Spiritual , African, Reggae, Big Band, Uplifting !! Holy Sh## , I can't listen in my car anymore , because I often want to pull over and dance and hug God for giving us music. Lol :P Thats how freakin great this album is.   ( Test tracks for me are 1,2,3,4,5,7,11, and 12 is worth the album in itself. ) Sound will test slam,dynamics,highs, bass, coherence, etc. )
More to come.. Enjoy these..
Todd

Srgtfury

« Reply #316 on: 7 Aug 2009, 09:39 pm »
Hi Stlrman,

Could you please list the gear you are using for your assessment?

Thank you very much

Fury

TJC712

« Reply #317 on: 8 Aug 2009, 01:32 am »
Hey Stirman.... Wow... impressive post! I will definitely check some of this out. 

TJC712

« Reply #318 on: 8 Aug 2009, 02:26 am »
I had hopped up on my soapbox several pages ago about the XRCD of "88 Basie Street". If memory serves, Alex (our O.P.) bought the disc and enjoyed it. Good to see more folks that have heard, and recommend this disc. It's one of my top ten. But like Mr. TJC712, I'd have a hard time creating a list of my top ten.

Not sure if I mentioned it in a previous post, but Lyle Lovett have several great CDs as far as sound quality is concerned. "Joshua Judges Ruth" comes to mind, but there are others.

Great thread fellas. Glad to see it become a sticky.
Bob

Bob:

I just looked back and your post about this Basie XRCD is the reason I bought it! Believe in giving credit where due... thank you for a great recommendation!  Just a little interesting aside... My brother in law (a swing drummer who died recently at the young age of 53) had a very successful big band in NYC.  My younger brother helped him run his music production company. Anyway, when Tony was sometimes unavailable for gigs, Dennis Mackrel (who lives out this way in Woodstock, NY) was always his 1st choice to sit in on drums. My brother pointed out that Dennis Mackrel was the drummer on this Basie XRCD and remembers talking with him about the great sound in the studio that night.  I just played it for my brother a few weeks ago. He loved it.

stlrman

« Reply #319 on: 8 Aug 2009, 03:50 am »
Thanks TJ,
you should check out all of these at some point if you can. If you dont agree that that a cd is fantastic and sounds amazing , just mail me the cd and I will give you your money back. :wink:      No really , these are all fantastic music, of audiophile sound quality.
In case some don't want to read my long winded review I will list just the recommeded albums here  :
 1. David Sanborn :  Upfront 
2.& 3. Cassandra Wilson : New Moon Daughter and Blue Light Till Dawn
 The Hunter  By Jennifer Warnes   
 4. Rob Wasserman   DUETS     
 6. Rob Wasserman :  TRIOS
 7. Rob Wasserman:  SPACE ISLAND
8. Hugh Masekala  Hope   :thumb: aa
For a much more in depth review , read  my previous post on each one of these Audiophile Masterpieces
Much more to come as I will try to review the cream of my  reference crop of cd's