Outstanding Demo CD's etc...

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« Reply #280 on: 25 Jul 2009, 03:45 am »
  Anybody out there dig Electronic?

imo for Electronic hard to beat early Tangerine Dream: Force Majeure, Ricochet, Stratosfear. Bo Hansson: Attic Thoughts, LOTR

To show off Jim & Dennis' midrange focus with some rock & roll horns check out 'The Flock'. Eclectic '70s Chicago jazz-rock band. 'Dinosaur Swamps' or 'Best of' are both good recordings (at least the original cd releases some 10 years ago were). fwiw if you enjoy jazz violin Jerry Goodman started with The Flock. Not every one's cup of tea, but they are definetly unique.

Thanks for the thread Alex.   8)

Kris

« Reply #281 on: 25 Jul 2009, 09:12 am »
Any international (non English) suggestions here? I think Mari Boine - Eight Seasons (skandinavian) is a great recording.
Also Kevin Johansen - Sur o No Sur is a nice mix of Spanglish tunes and rhythms.

K Shep

« Reply #282 on: 25 Jul 2009, 05:34 pm »
Thanks Alex,
I will share what sounds like "magic" on my system.  I have always considered my musical choices as ecclectic, however before I started putting together my current system I would usually choose an Electronic type of music to listen to.  The synthesized drum or bass doesn't sound as organic as a true drum set, currently.  But I have a few CD's that sound great are well engineered and create magic.

Kraftwerk: Mininum-Maximum
http://www.amazon.com/Minimum-Maximum-Kraftwerk/dp/B0009H9NE8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1248541600&sr=1-1
Uberzone: Ideology
http://www.amazon.com/Ideology-%C3%9Cberzone/dp/B000TGGJRS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1248542547&sr=1-1
Massive Attack: Mezzanine
http://www.amazon.com/Mezzanine-Massive-Attack/dp/B000006045/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1248542803&sr=1-1
Enigma: Love Sensuality Devotion: The Greatest Hits
http://www.amazon.com/Enigma-Love-Sensuality-Devotion-Greatest/dp/B00005OMTT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1248542923&sr=1-1

charmerci

« Reply #283 on: 25 Jul 2009, 10:41 pm »
Rosa Passos - Romance

Brazilian Samba music. Wonderful singer (not just another beautiful voice - there are many singers out there who have wonderful voices but are simply ordinary singers) and she plays the guitar. Her group is always tight/ very good.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #285 on: 31 Jul 2009, 12:23 am »
Hello,

I finally got to listen to one of the many cd's stacked up in the to "listen to" stack. It was Aimee Mann's Magnolia cd.

I never really new who she was or how good or bad of a recording this was. This was recommended by someone back in this post as a demo quality cd.

The SongTowers make this cd a pleasure to listen to.

The CD to me has several cuts that are very well done and recorded very well. I dont really think its really a top notch demo cd, more of if you like Aimee Mann this a really good selection of her songs etc...

What I like about this recording is you can hear her voice and the words which does make this a real pleasure to listen to.

I liked it so much that I have more of her cds on the way!

I have several of the latest recommendations on their way, the electronic music stuff...cant wait to see what this stuff is like!!

All the best
Alex

Nels Ferre

« Reply #286 on: 31 Jul 2009, 12:51 am »
This recommendation may seem odd, but here goes: "Tommy" by The Who.

I have the Mo Fi CD (ripped lossless to hard drive) and the SongTowers (and the rest of the system, obviously) sound incredible. I never knew this was recorded so well.....

And these are Jim's "entry level" floorstanders? I am still amazed by them.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #287 on: 2 Aug 2009, 01:36 am »
TJC712,

I just finished listening to Eric Claptons Back Home CD/DVD-A. Its well recorded for the most part, and the material is new to me and very nice. The cd I bought is a normal cd on one side and a DVD-A on the other side. On the DVD-A side there are 2 choices for audio, in real DVD-Audio (both 2 channel & 5.1 surround) using 24 bit sampled at 48khz. Its very interesting to compare the 2 sound tracks.

This is the newest stuff from Clapton in some years, its really good.

I would not place it in the high end demo class, but a good representative of Eric Clapton and his latest material.

All the best
Alex

TJC712

« Reply #288 on: 2 Aug 2009, 10:59 pm »
Glad you enjoyed. My brother lent it to me and I found it to have a very nice sound. I was also just starting to listen to stuff on the new gear so maybe a bit biased. Plus as you mentioned, its nice to hear different stuff from guys that have been around forever. That whole cd has really grown on me, but have always been a fan of EC. Keep listening....    Tim 

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #289 on: 3 Aug 2009, 12:39 am »
Tim,

I listened to the 5.1 tracks and thoroughly enjoyed the entire album, but this thread was started looking for those really great 2 ch CD's that you would use to show off your stereo..

On the other hand me and others are looking for the best recordings of past artists from time to time and this is a good one for Eric Clapton for sure.

I find that really great 2 ch recordings on my SongTowers at times feel like we are in a 5.1 environment....they image that well with good recordings. its these recordings that I am looking for, but I am always looking for the best of any artist as well.

What I have discovered is that there are so many variations or recordings over time and knowing which one to obtain is very important.....

All the best
Alex
 :D

TJC712

« Reply #290 on: 3 Aug 2009, 01:28 am »
I know one of the recent posts mentioned a Royskopp CD. I have to say that the track "Remind Me" (of Geico Caveman going through airport fame) sounds great through the ST's. I had to listen a few times.

TJC712

« Reply #291 on: 3 Aug 2009, 01:33 am »
Alex:

I just want to throw out a belated (& long overdue) "thank You" for starting this thread. I want you to know that none other than Jim Salk himself, pointed me to this thread back when you first started it. We were talking about tunes worthy of a demo disk when he pointed me to your thread. Another thanks to the many folks posting suggestions since I've picked up some mighty fine "listening material" through the process. Hope it continues on forever!

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #292 on: 3 Aug 2009, 10:50 pm »
Tim,

Thanks to you and all that have contributed,  I too have expanded my listening venue and am really glad that we started this thread, lots of them get lost in the ether, but this should be one that continously grows over time.

Nels...Only found one on Ebay used for $90. So I have a normal 2ch + DVD-A coming instead.

Also I listened to Bob James "Ivory Coast" and this is a really good CD to listen and demo...Kirk Whalum is on this cd several times and his playing is 'razor' sharp...on less stellar speakers this can be very abrasive, bit its a good test for any speaker.

Oprheus..is my favorite. Wide dynamic range. Its 8:35 in length and you need to listen to the entire cut, turned up HIGH  aa   This is not the normal 2-3 min per cut...takes awhile to appreciate the entire content...but well worth it.

I have several other Bob James material and will add to this post if they are great as well.

All the best
Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #293 on: 4 Aug 2009, 12:24 am »
Ok,

I said in the last post I would add to the Bob James list but I thought this recommendation deserves is own little post!!

Bob James & David Sandborn,  "Double Vision".

WOW, Simple yet Exotic, Wide Open, Wonderful Soundstage, Romantic, Sensual, Perfect Jazz for Any Occaision....this is why I started listening to this type of Jazz in the first place a long time ago!

From an Amazon poster "Al Jarreau joins Bob James and David Sanborn for a cover of Lenny Welch's "Since I Fell For You", one song that will make you fall for this album"...

This cut is plain AWESOME...play it loud Sam....and smile, what a wonderful soundstage with such great nuances.

Play the tracks (especially #6) to the end some of the most exciting stuff happens in the last 60 seconds of the tracks end.

This dates back to 1986 and can be had for .79 cents on Amazon (used) to 4.16 for new...what a steal!!

Go get this one , go right now!!

All the best
Alex
 :D :D :D

Special Note: David Sanborn can really play the Sax VERY WELL!!   aa

TJC712

« Reply #294 on: 4 Aug 2009, 01:00 am »
I agree with your Bob James assessments. Some great stuff that I haven't listened to in quite some time. Funny you bring this up because I just ordered the dvd "An evening with Fourplay, Vols 1 & 2 last night. I now run the HT fronts thru my 2 channel gear utilizing the HT bypass. Cool stuff.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #295 on: 4 Aug 2009, 06:28 am »
Alex...
Special Note: David Sanborn can really play the Sax VERY WELL!!

Since you mentioned sax....how about a little baritone sax in the rock vein... :wink:

Morphine - "Cure For Pain"........ 8)

BobM

« Reply #296 on: 4 Aug 2009, 12:30 pm »
Here's a disk I was turned onto last year. It's kind of electronica, but with a distinctive percussion bent, due to the participation of Trilok Gurtu. It's called "Miles_Gurtu":
http://www.amazon.com/Miles_Gurtu-Robert-Miles/dp/B0001AVZ5S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1249388875&sr=1-1

Did anyone mention Esperanza's debut album yet?
http://www.amazon.com/Esperanza-Spalding/dp/B0014HC56K/ref=pd_sim_m_6

Or Roy Hargrove (either of these 2):
http://www.amazon.com/Hargrove-Quintet-Robinson-Clayton-Coleman/dp/B0016OMFPW/ref=pd_sim_m_1
http://www.amazon.com/Moment-Roy-Hargrove-Strings/dp/B00004SC6T/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1249389004&sr=1-5

Bob

K Shep

« Reply #297 on: 4 Aug 2009, 04:46 pm »
Here's a disk I was turned onto last year. It's kind of electronica, but with a distinctive percussion bent, due to the participation of Trilok Gurtu. It's called "Miles_Gurtu":
http://www.amazon.com/Miles_Gurtu-Robert-Miles/dp/B0001AVZ5S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1249388875&sr=1-1

Bob

Great recommendation Bob I am a fan of Robert Miles.  I gave Miles_Gutru a quick listen and it sounds great.  My order is placed with Amazon. 

K Shep

« Reply #298 on: 4 Aug 2009, 04:54 pm »
I know one of the recent posts mentioned a Royskopp CD. I have to say that the track "Remind Me" (of Geico Caveman going through airport fame) sounds great through the ST's. I had to listen a few times.

IMO each Royskopp CD sounds different.  Melody AM is my favorite and "Remind Me" is their most recognized song.

K Shep

« Reply #299 on: 5 Aug 2009, 12:38 am »
Alex,

This is one of the best recorded CD's I have heard. 

Seal - Best: 1991-2004 (2 CD & DVD Audio) [ENHANCED]
http://www.amazon.com/Best-1991-2004-CD-DVD-Audio/dp/B00063F8BW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1249432405&sr=1-4

I puchased my copy from Amazon. If you like Seal it has originals and acoustic recordings too.  It is a must have IMO.  The CD cover calls it "Advance Resolution Stereo" and "Advance Resolution Surround"

Kirk