Happy (early) Birthday Alex!!  :birthday:

Bob

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« Reply #241 on: 22 Jun 2009, 06:04 am »
lonewolfny42,

Thanks I just ordered the three Eltons!

I also see that most of the Beatles stuff is going to be remastered and out on Sept 9th!!

Cool....Looks like this collection will get re-juvenated!! yahoo!!

Re-live those crazy old days!!

I turn 60 years young this tuesday!!

All the best and many, ,many thanks for those goodies u shared with me!!

All the best
Alex aa

Don't jump too quick on the Beatle stuff Alex...I'd wait and see how they "turn out". :wink: (watch for comments)

And.....

Have A Happy Birthday!! :beer:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #242 on: 22 Jun 2009, 06:23 am »
Joss Stone "The Soul Sessions"  aa

She's a young gal with a voice beyond her years. Kinda bluesy mixed with the slightest touch of a modern young woman. Old school blended very well with a new young twist. Very classy, very well performed and good sound quality for a modern vocal performed by someone her age. She's got a couple other releases, but they (unfortunately) depart from the blusey genre and border on the modern day definition of R&B.  :(
The song "Dirty Man" is one I'll play for a "newbee" to music to hear what real quality vocals sound like. Although, most veteran audio guys that have come to my house have heard this tune as well. A great demo.
If the song "Some Kind Of Wonderful" doesn't get your head boppin', then you must be dead. Good bass thump.

Overall, one of my favorite albums, not just for great sound quality, but for jammin' as well.

SAMPLES from Amazon

Young gal can bring it.  Was listening to Herbie Hancock's "Possibilities" cd one morning and my daughter walked by and asked . . "That Joss Stone?  She can bring it."  Uh, yeah, she can.  Bobby knows.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #243 on: 22 Jun 2009, 02:11 pm »
Joss Stone "The Soul Sessions"  aa

She's a young gal with a voice beyond her years. Kinda bluesy mixed with the slightest touch of a modern young woman. Old school blended very well with a new young twist. Very classy, very well performed and good sound quality for a modern vocal performed by someone her age. She's got a couple other releases, but they (unfortunately) depart from the blusey genre and border on the modern day definition of R&B.  :(
The song "Dirty Man" is one I'll play for a "newbee" to music to hear what real quality vocals sound like. Although, most veteran audio guys that have come to my house have heard this tune as well. A great demo.
If the song "Some Kind Of Wonderful" doesn't get your head boppin', then you must be dead. Good bass thump.

Overall, one of my favorite albums, not just for great sound quality, but for jammin' as well.

SAMPLES from Amazon

Young gal can bring it.  Was listening to Herbie Hancock's "Possibilities" cd one morning and my daughter walked by and asked . . "That Joss Stone?  She can bring it."  Uh, yeah, she can.  Bobby knows.

Just bought the CD on amazon marketplace for 1.25 plus 2.98 shipping.  The CD arrived in the mail today.  Can't listen until I get home.

fishinbob

« Reply #244 on: 22 Jun 2009, 02:27 pm »
Don't jump too quick on the Beatle stuff Alex...I'd wait and see how they "turn out". :wink: (watch for comments)

The original Beatle recordings tended to sound a little thin to me. Even on vinyl. If the remasters sound anything like some of the cuts on the Love album ... I'm in :hyper:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #245 on: 22 Jun 2009, 05:02 pm »
Well,

Heres my test, I ordered only one of the re-mastered albums, the one I think that is the best of the best...Revolver. If it stands up to muster then I need to take a loan out..if not oh well..

Alex aa

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #246 on: 24 Jun 2009, 06:47 pm »
Thanks for all the nice B-Day greetings!!!  :D

I will wait on the Beatles stuff and see how they turn out for sure...

Wood shoul dbe here today!

Mr. Pipe let us know how you like Joss Stone.

Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #247 on: 30 Jun 2009, 02:35 am »
Bob!

Well I just listened to Wood and its absolutely wonderful. I havent really listened for several weeks and it was good to get back into the groove!

Track 3 and Track 9 are AWESOME.

I know that Jared a friend who got a pair of HT2 - TL's started a thread on the twangy sound from plucking steel strings really hard...and was wondering if his speakers were reproducing this well compared to some "ushers?" that cost a wee bit more....

When I listened to this cd I was blown away at the harmonics and really neat sounds that this artist was making and the ST's were able to reproduce.

I think Jim could use Track 3 as a demo cut for his cd he send to purchasers of Salk speakers.

At no time did the SongTowers have an issue with reproducing anything in this cd.
What a sweet sound on a sweet set of speakers....

Thanks for the recommndation again!!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #248 on: 30 Jun 2009, 02:19 pm »
You're welcome!
Yes, tracks three and nine are my favorite from "Wood I" as well. That 'funky string thing' he does in a couple of the songs is pretty cool. I also love the sounds he makes by tapping on the instrument itself and rubbing the strings. Neat little effects like that are very neat.

Did you get "Wood II"?
If you like the first, then you'll like the second.

Bob

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #249 on: 1 Jul 2009, 02:48 am »

Ok Bob,

Good news, bad news!!

You know I really liked the Wood HDCD, I relistened to it again and its what I would call a really good CD and a great demo treasure for sure.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out this is a HD CD, which is a 20 bit vs 16 bit cd. Never realized this when I purchased it, on my new Oppo BD 83 it pops up as a HDCD and I did a google search and read about HDCD's...now to look for more HDCDs!!

The bad news for me is the Joss Stone CD, Soul Sessions.

I can see that this artist is special and has lots of talent for sure....but
the overall quality of this recording to me was not that stellar.

I was shocked that the quality of the recording was not better, after all these really great recordings in this thread this one, again "to me" with my electronics, Salk SongTowers and room, it just was very plain, and a dull recording.

The songs were great as far and I thought something was wrong with  my system and I cycled thru the DSP modes, turned Audessy on and off. None of these things seem to help the overall quality of the recording. I listen to CD's via my Onkyo 805 receivers "Pure Audio" mode....what comes in goes to the amp and out. I also take the cd out from the Oppp BD83 to the amp....using the new DACs in the OPPO.

The content and Joss Sones performance was stellar, its just that the recording felt compressed to  me and lacked in dynamic range. Maybe this was done on purpose to tone down the background instrumnets and vocals to handle the awesome dynnamic range of Joss Stones voice.

Is it me, am I loosing my 'ear'...

Help

Alex 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #250 on: 1 Jul 2009, 03:09 pm »
Is it me, am I loosing my 'ear'...
It could be a different "pressing" (or whatever they call it for CDs).  :dunno:
Sincerely sorry about that one Alex, my apologies.  :oops:

Regarding the higher quality HDCD of "Wood", you can also look for "XRCD". That's another good format. I've got an XRCD of Count Basie called "88 Basie Street" that's amazing sound quality....But I think I mentioned that one already. If not, then consider this my official recommendation.  :lol:

If you're into Blues: Also on HDCD is Keb' Mo' "Slow Down". That's another good one.

My Harmon Kardon receiver displays the Keb' Mo' disc as "HDCD", but does not show the Brian Bromberg disc as HDCD. Strange.
Again, different "pressings", or recording companies may have mastered it differently. The answer to that one is out of my league.

Again, sorry about the Joss disc.

Bob

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #251 on: 1 Jul 2009, 03:41 pm »
Could also be a re-mastering. Sometimes between production runs the opportunity is taken to re-master. This could involve different compression (could be more or less) and EQ - even such things as stereo width.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #252 on: 1 Jul 2009, 05:56 pm »
Hey Bob,

Please dont feel bad about the recommendation!!

The material and artist are great its just that the recording was a bit flat...

I have the Keb Mo disc and its awesome!

I ordered the XRCD of the Count Basie but it got cancelled at the 9th hour...will try again.

There are several places that list 20bit hdcd discs I discovered as well..

Keep up the recommendations!!

All the best
Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #253 on: 7 Jul 2009, 12:47 am »
Well,

I just played a really OLD CD, Santana's Abraxas...not the remastered one, but the original and I was pleasantly surprised how explosive this set of recordings are.

Has anyone listened to the newer remastered copy?

Is it worth the upgrade?

Alex

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #254 on: 7 Jul 2009, 12:51 am »
Another great demo cd:

Ben Harper & Relentless7 - "White Lies For Dark Times"

This is Ben Harper with a really tight, and raucous 3 piece blues/rock band.

Sonics are good to very good, but the music is outstanding!!

This cd will seriously test the boogie factor of your setup, as well as dynamics and the ability to convey the musical energy of the recording.

Here is what Allmusic.com has to say:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:fxfexzu0ldae

George

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #255 on: 7 Jul 2009, 01:22 am »
Thanks George!

I will look into this one for sure!

Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #256 on: 11 Jul 2009, 06:11 pm »
George,

Just listened to the Ben Harper & Relentless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy Cow Batman, what a awesome, awesome experience....one after another it just kept getting better and better....

I am not a real hard rock fan, but this cd really is very, very explosive...

I liked the tone, sound and recording...

The songtowers never skipped a beat, it really is a great Demo CD for these speakers.

I realize theses Song's dont go as low as others but dang for 98% of whats there and this is a real good example of the 98% they 'rule' for the price, sound quality and overall experience.

On track 6 the acoustic guitar on the left channel is so sweet and so accurate sounding...

Nuance likes Joe Satriani and Rubina..I hope he has this album I think he would really like this rock style cd.

I can not thank you enough for this recommendation!!!

If there any other of Ben Harpers stuff thats in this class please let me know!!

All the best
Alex

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #257 on: 12 Jul 2009, 06:43 am »
Alex....

If there any other of Ben Harpers stuff thats in this class please let me know!!

May have sent this...I forgot  :scratch:...if not...get this...

"Fight for Your Mind"....Ben Harper......I still prefer this over his latest... :wink:

Another....I always forget :duh:....
I'm too wicked for it...but the Spirit will fill you Alex...."There Will Be a Light"...excellent harmony... :thumb:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #258 on: 12 Jul 2009, 09:20 am »
Alex....

May have sent this...I forgot  :scratch:...if not...get this...

"Fight for Your Mind"....Ben Harper......I still prefer this over his latest... :wink:

Another....I always forget :duh:....
I'm too wicked for it...but the Spirit will fill you Alex...."There Will Be a Light"...excellent harmony... :thumb:

Good recommendations Chris.

I would also add Live From Mars.  This is a live, double cd package.  One disc contains all acoustic music and one disc is electric. 
Highlights include excellent covers of "Sexual Healing", "The Drugs Don't Work", and "Whole Lotta Love" + Ben's originals "Like A King/I'll Rise", "Burn One Down", "Glory and Consequences", "Power of the Gospel, and "Please Bleed".

George

Jeff M

« Reply #259 on: 12 Jul 2009, 09:39 am »
Try the group called Yello. They did the song "Oh Yeah" from Ferris Bueller. One cd in particular is called "Baby". It is a very dynamic and well recorded disc with amazing imaging and effects with tons of different instruments. They made alot of cd's and most are alot of fun on a nice system.