Outstanding Demo CD's etc...

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« Reply #200 on: 18 Apr 2009, 04:28 pm »
I haven't read the entire thread, so it is likely this has been mentioned already.  I like Neil Young's "Live at Massey Hall 1971".  I think it has a great sense of space and the recording quality is, IMO, quite excellent.  Neil and a guitar or piano.  The guitar has some wonderful body to it, but sadly the piano is not rendered as well.  His voice is captured brilliantly, though.  I highly recommend it. 

-Michael
+1, especially at 24/96

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #201 on: 18 Apr 2009, 07:43 pm »
Uncle Tupelo - March 16-20, 1992

This is my favorite Uncle Tupelo album and was produced by Peter Buck of R.E.M

Besides the music being killer, the sonics are excellent and will definitely highlight your systems' strengths and/or weaknesses.

The highlights to this album are:

"Coalminers"
"Shaky Ground"
"Black Eye"
"Moonshiner"
"I Wish My Baby Was Born"
"Fatal Wound"
"Sandusky"

George

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #202 on: 18 Apr 2009, 08:01 pm »
fishinbob,

I ordered the So Long So Wrong this morning. Looking forward to this one.

Interesting how artists sometimes change over time.

Joni Mitchell is one of may favorite artist with her twangy voice, but it suits me  :D

She has definitely changed over the years as well, some from just loosing the abilitiy of not being able to hit those high notes when you get older!

I like songs that tell a story about life and experiences etc...

Thanks again for the recommendations, looks like the budget is shot already for this month!

All the best

Alex

grenamc

« Reply #203 on: 19 Apr 2009, 07:11 am »
I recently got into Uncle Tupelo, George.  The only version of the 1992 concert available now is a re-release from 2003 with bonus tracks.  Is this the copy you have?  I am just wondering if the re-release has been given the compression treatment.  If so, I will find a used copy of the original.

-Michael

Airborn

« Reply #204 on: 19 Apr 2009, 08:25 am »
Ben Harper, Fight For Your Mind is an excellent demo CD IMHO. Not a bad track on the whole album and quite a few that will give any system a workout. 

grenamc

« Reply #205 on: 25 Apr 2009, 12:44 am »
I am listening to Lucinda Williams : Live @ the Fillmore and I am loving it.  Understand, my system is not A-list at the moment, so it is possible that this is not an outstanding Demo of a great system.  It is an excellent performance, however.  Once the Orions are built I will be able to better discern it's level of excellence sonically.

Michael

OgOgilby

« Reply #206 on: 26 Apr 2009, 03:11 pm »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Windham Hill: The First Ten Years". There are a lot of good demo tracks on it if you like guitar and piano. Of the two disks, I prefer the second.

fishinbob

« Reply #207 on: 27 Apr 2009, 07:40 pm »
I am listening to Lucinda Williams : Live @ the Fillmore and I am loving it.  Understand, my system is not A-list at the moment, so it is possible that this is not an outstanding Demo of a great system.  It is an excellent performance, however.  Once the Orions are built I will be able to better discern it's level of excellence sonically.

Michael

AYSM?     :lol:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #208 on: 27 Apr 2009, 08:36 pm »
Well,

I have listened to the Allison Krauss & Union Station DVD..in 5.1 and 2 ch and the overall performance was very, very good. I since then bought two more normal redbook cd's and have listened to only one of them so far, the "So Long So Wrong" and een though I like Allisons voice, I did not think this cd overall was really fantastic as a demo, some real good cuts, but I thought the mic'ing or the engineering on this is not up to the 10 out of 10 category....

I will listen to it again and maybe I will change my mind, but I was not blown away like I was in Blue Rodeo, Five Days in July....

This may be complicated just because I never was a bluegrass fan....its not meant to be a negative statement, but more of a personal preference due to years of collective bias on my part!!  :cry:

I really did enjoy the DVD, and the talent and Allisons very beautiful voice.

I hope the secong album will be more positive.

All the best,

Alex

fishinbob

« Reply #209 on: 29 Apr 2009, 01:08 pm »
Well,

I have listened to the Allison Krauss & Union Station DVD..in 5.1 and 2 ch and the overall performance was very, very good. I since then bought two more normal redbook cd's and have listened to only one of them so far, the "So Long So Wrong" and een though I like Allisons voice, I did not think this cd overall was really fantastic as a demo, some real good cuts, but I thought the mic'ing or the engineering on this is not up to the 10 out of 10 category....

I'm sorry if you were misled. I mentioned the It Doesn't Matter cut on SLSW as a comparison to the quality of the recordings. Admittedly the staging is a bit artificial and Alison's vocal has been tweaked but I believe that was the intention of the mix. My issue with the FDIJ disc is not the performance, some of the cuts are quite nice. It's the recording itself. I hear quite a bit of noise on several pieces and when I demo, for the most part, the volume is such that it becomes quite audible, and that is a drag. :(

As far as the demo quality of the aforementioned song I prefer to play a nice sounding piece that I think people will enjoy. Most of the people who hear my stuff aren't attuned to the technical qualities of the recordings or even the equipment. They ... hopefully, just love what they're hearing. :thumb:

Listening with a  :green: on my face,

Bob

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #210 on: 2 May 2009, 02:27 am »
hey bob,

I understand that..when we first got into solid state stuff we were always cranking it up to find the 'hiss' etc...

Some recordings do have a high ambient background noise and you do here it at the end of a track when they cut everything down...its amazing how noisy they can be.

The demo cd or tracks I started this thread about really was aimed at the overall experience rather than specific criteria for what defines a demo cd..never want to get that complicated..

More of a what does everyone listen to on their SongTowers etc that really plays well on them...

The clarity, the mixing, the everything, the kind of experience while listening that makes you smile and saw OMG that was just awesome!!

So the content may not be everyones cup of tea, but its gotta to be well done all around and any one area where it may not be up to spec is fine to....but its got to WOW us!!

aa

I have not been able to liste alot in the past week, life has once again got in the way of play time!! :|

I hope to get back early next week and post some new recordings....i have a stack to listen to!!

All the best

Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #211 on: 5 May 2009, 12:13 am »
I havent had the time to listen for a week now and just got around to listening to a really old Joni Mitchell recording on Reprise record label from way back, full of that old analog hiss.....BUT the sound of the acoustic guitar from that timeframe with a not so great recording on the SongTowers was a pleasure to listen to...

Then I listened to New Favorite by Allison Krauss and fishinbob this cd is a 5 star, 10 out of 10 recording to me.

I was blown away from the first cut...and like I have said I am not a hard core bluegrass listener...but dang if it doesnt grow on you!!  :wink:

The Dobro (sp?) guitar on this album will make you cry its that clear, distinct and awesome.....

This is one album I would not hesitate to use to show off the SongTowers.

I will go back and re-listen to SLSW again but I dont recall it having this affect on me...I was slobbering all over myself with the sound quality and the content of the material...

Thanks for the Allison Krauss suggestions its been a grand experience!!

All the best
Alex
 :thumb:
 aa

fishinbob

« Reply #212 on: 5 May 2009, 01:21 am »

Then I listened to New Favorite by Allison Krauss and fishinbob this cd is a 5 star, 10 out of 10 recording to me.

I was blown away from the first cut...and like I have said I am not a hard core bluegrass listener...but dang if it doesnt grow on you!!  :wink:

The Dobro (sp?) guitar on this album will make you cry its that clear, distinct and awesome.....

I will go back and re-listen to SLSW again but I dont recall it having this affect on me...I was slobbering all over myself with the sound quality and the content of the material...

All the best
Alex
 aa

The title cut on New Favorite is one of her best, the very last track.  It's the one I like to start with :thumb:

Gord_Toronto

« Reply #213 on: 5 May 2009, 01:47 am »

All the best
Alex
 aa

The title cut on New Favorite is one of her best, the very last track.  It's the one I like to start with :thumb:
[/quote]

Just picked this one up myself.  I can't decide whether I'm now into Bluegrass or its all about Alison.  I don't even notice that its Bluegrass anymore, its just great music.  I suspect its all about Alison.

+1 on the title track.  This baby haunts you

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #214 on: 5 May 2009, 02:13 am »
Gord,

It has to be both...her voice is really very, very special for sure....its haunting and etheral at times.

The group has a real dedication to excellence and it shows for sure.

The first cut , Let Me Touch You For Awhile is really awesome....and yes the last cut is brilliant!!

Aint life grand, and to have such a wonderful set of speakers to enjoy this music on is icing on the cake...

say thank you!!

Thank You!

Alex
 :D

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #215 on: 7 May 2009, 12:15 pm »
Ok,

I listened to a friends demo disc and there were several cuts that were really outstanding. I didnt have the playlist, but got it last night, thanks BobM/lonewolfny42!

One of the tracks had a female jazz singer that sounded familiar but I honestly did not know who it was.

It turns out to be a Diana Reeves, singing "Feeling of Jazz" and the 'band' was great.

This cut is from Wynton Marsalis's "The Magic Hour".

This track to me is a very good demo track, the instruments and placement is excellent.

I do not have any Wynton Marsalis material or Diana Reeves, but I did get a copy of "The Magic Hour" and am looking forward to listening to more of this soon!

All in all this one song / cut is AWESOME.

Demo material for sure!

All the best
Alex

aa

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #216 on: 7 May 2009, 08:42 pm »

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #217 on: 7 May 2009, 10:58 pm »
Ok,

I listened to a friends demo disc and there were several cuts that were really outstanding. I didnt have the playlist, but got it last night, thanks BobM/lonewolfny42!

One of the tracks had a female jazz singer that sounded familiar but I honestly did not know who it was.

It turns out to be a Diana Reeves, singing "Feeling of Jazz" and the 'band' was great.

This cut is from Wynton Marsalis's "The Magic Hour".

This track to me is a very good demo track, the instruments and placement is excellent.

I do not have any Wynton Marsalis material or Diana Reeves, but I did get a copy of "The Magic Hour" and am looking forward to listening to more of this soon!

All in all this one song / cut is AWESOME.

Demo material for sure!

All the best
Alex

aa

This song was part of the NYAR Demo disc that Chris (aka Lonewolfny42) and is indeed a great test of a system.  If the system is bright or harsh, this song will send you running for the hills.  If the system is too warm or soft, the brass will have no bite and be "blah".

George

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #218 on: 8 May 2009, 03:38 pm »
Its very nice on the SongTowers!!

track 13 on this one has some really LOW organ notes...vibrates everything like AWESOME!

:D

Alex

grenamc

« Reply #219 on: 12 May 2009, 01:53 pm »
I am pretty sure it was mentioned in this thread, and I went looking for it so I could thank the person that suggested it.  Blue Rodeo "5 Days in July" is fantastic.  I am loving every minute of it.  The music is beautiful and the recording quality is excellent.  Also, loving Uncle Tupelo's "March 16-20, 1992" disc.  Thanks George! 

-Michael