W10 Creators

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
W10 Creators
« on: 21 Jul 2017, 07:36 pm »
It have updated automatic, instalation last more than 1 hour.
It have a 3D software and the usual Paint.
It return my font adjusted to default and I not able to find the bold letter options anymore :duh:

Any tip to made font letters bold will be appreciated.

srb

Re: W10 Creators
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2017, 08:18 pm »
If you're not looking to change the system font to a different font, but merely make it bold, the System Font Size Changer from WinTools can change the size of the font for Title Bar, Menu, Message Box, Palette Title, Icon and Tool Tip and there is a checkbox for Bold.

As with most free software download pages, the large (often green) Download buttons are associated with other software trial downloads, so you need to scroll to the bottom of the page for the small download link.

It's always a good idea to create a manual Restore Point as well as export the registry just in case.

Steve

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2017, 11:23 pm »
Thanks Steve, the bold text is no more avaliable in the Creators version, more one case of fix what is not broken :duh:

To get around the situation I have to use Custom Scale 150%.

srb

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2017, 11:42 pm »
Are you saying that you downloaded and used the System Font Size Changer tool but the Bold checkbox function is not working?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2017, 06:11 pm »
I had not downloaded this app for now, thanks for the tip, they had removed the BOLD option from the Creators version;
I had change the config here: Display Settings/Custom Scale/ and put 150%.
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2017, 07:18 pm by FullRangeMan »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jul 2017, 11:56 am »
Hi
I have just run the Font Changer it works as promised, not need to install, it selfdelete after the job run.A great little app.
Thanks alot :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jul 2017, 07:25 pm »
I just see here, if you logout the W10 user the Bold option I setted was lost, so I had to run it again;

srb

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jul 2017, 08:49 pm »
I don't have Windows 10 Creators Update, but on both my Windows 10 and Windows 7 computers the changes are persistent after log off and through reboots.

You must log off for the changes to take effect, and in fact after you click Apply, a dialog gives you the option to Cancel or Log Off.

If you click Cancel, it doesn't cancel the modification - just the immediate Log Off - and the changes will still be made on next log off or reboot.  If you've changed your mind about the settings, you'll need to open the tool and reset the size and bold options.

When you run the tool for the first time, it will automatically prompt to save the current registry key (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics), but after that you will need to click the Export button to make a current backup.

Steve

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 23 Jul 2017, 09:07 pm »
My Control Panel has no Desktop!

Others items I have made.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 23 Jul 2017, 09:31 pm »
I located a Desktop under:
This PC>OS(C:)>User>Desktop
But it have no WindowsMetrics.
This page contains various shortcuts/icons from work area.

srb

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jul 2017, 09:57 pm »
There is no Desktop icon in Control Panel!  The reference I made was to the registry key path

When you run the tool for the first time, it will automatically prompt to save the current registry key (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics), but after that you will need to click the Export button to make a current backup.

located in the Windows Registry database.  The Windows Registry contains all the information about the Windows operating system, hardware and programs.  Most people are not comfortable directly editing the Registry and it can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.  In this particular case, many of the font settings are in cryptic hexadecimal format, anyway, hence the tool.

When you create a backup of the WindowMetrics registry key with the Export button in the System Font Size Changer program it creates a file named WindowMetrics.reg.

When you double-click a .reg file it prompts to merge it back into the registry to get you back to where you were prior to the changes.  You can view the file in Notepad if you are curious to see what it looks like.

Steve

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 23 Jul 2017, 10:09 pm »
I fail to locate this Registry screen, found just Computer Management.

srb

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jul 2017, 10:22 pm »
You won't find it Control Panel, Computer Management, etc., because Windows doesn't want you mucking around in there if you don't know what you're doing!

But if you want to look at it, click the Windows Start button and type regedit.  You will see the selection regedit - Run command.

Any time you make changes to Windows settings they're written to the Registry database.  Sometimes a fix has no available tool and the only solution may be to directly edit the registry.  As a safety precaution you can export the entire database to a .reg file, or you can right click on a particular key that you're going to modify and select Export.

Steve

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 23 Jul 2017, 10:31 pm »
Ok located it at: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

Wmetric is not there.

srb

« Reply #14 on: 23 Jul 2017, 10:51 pm »
Did you expand Desktop?

I thought perhaps the key path might have been relocated in the update (which I don't have), but according to other sources the path in Windows 10 Creators Update is still

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics

as show in my previous image of the Registry Editor

?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 23 Jul 2017, 11:13 pm »
Did you expand Desktop? Yes

Just located the WMetrics. Its a Folder;

I should export it? To where?

srb

« Reply #16 on: 24 Jul 2017, 04:43 am »
When you first ran the SFSC tool, it offered to export your current system font settings (the registry settings contained in the WindowMetrics key or "folder").  From here on you can use the Export button in the tool to manually do the same thing - you don't need to go into the Registry Editor to do it.

It offers to save the file as WindowMetrics.reg.  You can name it whatever you want, keeping the .reg extension.  (If Windows Explorer is set to hide file extensions, then the .reg extension will be automatically preserved)

You can save the file wherever you prefer to save backup files - on the Desktop, in Documents, in Documents/Backup, etc.

As I said previously, double-clicking or executing a .reg backup file will restore the registry key to what it was before you made changes.  It's just a precaution, the SFSC tool seems to be working fine on my two systems.

Steve

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 24 Jul 2017, 05:13 pm »
OK thanks Steve. I have no words to thank you for your time, patience and expertise to help me in this minor prob. :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 21 May 2018, 06:29 am »
Second day config my settings after W10 updated to V1803.
No more bold fonts in this version also.