Yet another Song 3 model?

Ivan

Re: Yet another Song 3 model?
« Reply #20 on: 19 May 2017, 12:51 am »
I was about to send this post, but just then I was notified of new reply being posted. Upon reading Dennis's response I see that mine is now redundant, but since it took me a while to type it, I will post it anyway, if I may:
Mine is certainly a layman's opinion, but from what I have read (and that includes Jim's and Dennis's comments), and if I remember correctly, ribbon tweeters, like RAAL, do not have quite as good a vertical off-axis response as dome tweeters, but at the same time have a better horizontal off-axis response. If that is so, then I believe we could say that as long as one listens while sitting with their ears fairly closely aligned in height with the height of the tweeters (as I suppose is best for getting most out of the listening experience, anyway), then when not sitting in or near the sweet spot one should be able to get more out of speakers equipped with ribbon tweeters than ones with dome tweeters, all else fairly equal.
Of course, this is strictly speaking with reference to horizontal off-axis response and sitting farther away from the sweet spot. No judgment as to what kind of tweeter is "better" overall. After all, I suppose a well-made tweeter is exactly that, regardless of the type, and the rest is up to the individual to decide what pros and cons of any design and model best suit their needs and tastes.
Ivan

will mac

« Reply #21 on: 7 Sep 2017, 01:45 pm »
Just read this and don't want to get into the 'whats best' debate. The TLab Be dome is one of my favorite tweeters and useful for low x/o points. Never heard a Raal but the Viawave ribbons are very good, especially the latest one. Just my opinion tho..

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #22 on: 7 Sep 2017, 04:53 pm »
The Viawave does look interesting, particularly the distortion profile.  I couldn't find any pricing information, though.  I guess you have to work directly through the Russian factory. 

will mac

« Reply #23 on: 8 Sep 2017, 01:08 am »
Just contact Dmitry via their email link. Super nice guy and everything, communication was perfect. I had my Viawave's a week later.