Exotica 3's customized to the max

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Exotica 3's customized to the max
« Reply #40 on: 4 Nov 2014, 04:06 pm »
Simply stunning BRM  :thumb: Well planned, and with the artisan execution of Jim & company (a known given), true sonic works of art. Truly Birthday presents to be dreamed of.

Here's wishing a Happy Birthday, and many Happy Unbirthdays following as you get the new system dialed in.  :beer:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #41 on: 4 Nov 2014, 04:25 pm »
Well done.  Absolutely one of a kind.   :thumb:
I bet they sound great.  Now I have speaker envy. :wink:
I still would have gone tubes.... :peek:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #42 on: 4 Nov 2014, 06:15 pm »

I still would have gone tubes.... :peek:

I know, I know!!

Kinger

« Reply #43 on: 4 Nov 2014, 06:24 pm »
Congratulations Pete on another awesome looking pair of Salk's.  Hope you will be kind enough to share some picks of their final sitting place within your room.

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #44 on: 4 Nov 2014, 07:04 pm »
Well Big'un you certainly have outdone you're self this time !  :thumb:

I have had interest in upgrading for about a year now and with the development of Exotica 3's I have been waiting to see yours and the others since the prototype introduction.
You truly have a unique styled pair, the copper is one of a kind I'm sure. My vote from the first was on the 2-cabinet design, base on convenience of weight and mobility. The single cabinet is fine, depending on cost difference it still maybe the optimum choice. However when you are spending this much its best to get what you want ! I am very impressed with you're attention to detail with the associated parts of the speaker, very well done! :thumb:

I guess the biggest surprise to me is the choice of the amp. I have never had the opportunity to hear the  Electrocompaniet  equipment but I am aware of the brands very good reputation. I will have to agree with your choice of solid state over tubes, not that the "tube sound" is inferior to Solid State, its my realization that playing with tubes would not be my game after the newness of the experience was over ( that a personal reflection knowing myself). But a significant point is when SS amps go beyond the typical designs, offering advanced technology, such as (low to none)  feedback implemented to the different stages of the amp for one, puts this Solid State amp in a different league. The reported sound character of the EC AW180 mono blocks uses terms like accurate, realistic upper bass / lower midrange, excellent reproduction of acoustic music. The reproduction of Horns, Cello, wood instr. and piano are reported to be wonderful. Also the report that the amp does not give the "front Row effect", that is it doesn't force the forward feeling of being in the front row but rather puts you where the recording intends. Now I have not idea if these stated reflections of the amp sounds are typical hype or are a truthful, agreeable, nature of its sound. BUT I can't think of a better assessment where a SS amp needs improvement. This amp should go great with the stated qualities of the Exotica drivers!

Anyway sorry for the long drawnout post but I must admit I am very impress with your new system and would love to hear it.
« Last Edit: 4 Nov 2014, 08:10 pm by Vulcan00 »

sfox7076

« Reply #45 on: 4 Nov 2014, 07:22 pm »
I am waiting for Pete's comments on the amps.  It's sort of the exact direction I would go if I didn't do tubes all around.

DEP14

« Reply #46 on: 5 Nov 2014, 12:13 am »
Wow, those are just stunning.  Love the idea of a class A amp for the uppers.  I think that makes a ton of sense with the powered lower section.

Any anticipated acoustic impact of the copper on the front?

While I'm no longer using Butler Audio, they make an unreal Hybrid Tube/Solid state amp called the Monad's that are pretty darn trick also.  You know... in case you get an itch down the road.

Stunning speakers and attention to detail by all involved.  Very, very nice!

Breaking them in with some Led Zeppelin remasters?  :thumb: If you need any heavier stuff... you know where to find me.   8)

Big Red Machine

« Reply #47 on: 5 Nov 2014, 01:15 am »
I literally threw all the connections together with zero power conditioning.  Have goosebumps right now.  Unbelievable!

sfox7076

« Reply #48 on: 5 Nov 2014, 01:31 am »
Grand, isn't it?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #49 on: 5 Nov 2014, 01:38 am »
Grand, isn't it?

Freakin' grand.  Grande grand.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #50 on: 5 Nov 2014, 01:51 am »

Breaking them in with some Led Zeppelin remasters?  :thumb: If you need any heavier stuff... you know where to find me.   8)

Yeah, I need to get you over here.  I've got crap strewn all over right now.

sfox7076

« Reply #51 on: 5 Nov 2014, 02:36 am »
I need to figure out some room treatments.  Know of any with good WAF?

gregcss

« Reply #52 on: 5 Nov 2014, 03:47 am »
Really nice Exoticas!

I need to figure out some room treatments.  Know of any with good WAF?

GIK Acoustics art panel

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #53 on: 5 Nov 2014, 05:33 am »
What are the external dimensions of the top and bottom modules?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #54 on: 5 Nov 2014, 12:05 pm »
What are the external dimensions of the top and bottom modules?

Tops are 17 x 17 x 10.5

Bottoms are 26.5? x 17 x 10.5

Independent of baseplates and protrusions.

DEP14

« Reply #55 on: 5 Nov 2014, 12:34 pm »
Yeah, I need to get you over here.  I've got crap strewn all over right now.

We should do a home and home series... my room still a partial mess also.  Been traveling way too much for work.  Classe equipment now driving the SS8's, it's outstanding. 

I'd love to hear those exotica's.

Ace Deprave

« Reply #56 on: 5 Nov 2014, 01:24 pm »
Wow! Those look fantastic! I can only imagine how great they sound. Congratulations!

-Dave

Vulcan00

« Reply #57 on: 5 Nov 2014, 08:24 pm »
hey can you explain the speaker connections?

From the amp/ speaker connections doe it travel to the upper box or does it feed into the bass amp?

thanks

Big Red Machine

« Reply #58 on: 5 Nov 2014, 08:32 pm »
The signal goes up I believe, but if you turn off the bass module, the upper will still play like a monitor.  Ask me how I know this. :duh:

Vulcan00

« Reply #59 on: 5 Nov 2014, 08:42 pm »
I suppose you know because you tried it?

But does it feed the bass amp module first, then out to the upper box ( tweeter / mid range). Or does it feed from amp/speaker connections to both?