New member looking for advice

gfxmla

New member looking for advice
« on: 10 Feb 2016, 05:04 am »
Hello Audio Circlists,
New member here.  I have been looking intently at some of Louis' speakers, specifically the Super Alnico Monitors for purchase later in the year.  I also was/am intending on purchasing some mid level Decware components to run these off of;  probably the Zen Triode or the Zen Torii along with the Decware phono stage. My main listening right now is dub reggae,  70's rock,  jazz,  kraut rock,  acid folk,  and modern psychedelic (for lack of a better term). I'm in the process of moving my listening area from a really poor sounding "A" frame-like room,  about 12 x 10 x 5ish (due to the angled side walls) to a 12 x 10 x 9 rectangular space. My current system involves vintage tube gear,  a rebuilt and spruced up Magnavox 9300 series amp (6eu7's and 6bq5 outputs,  push-pull) ,  an Eico HF85 pre-amp, and a set of 1984 Klipsch Cornwalls. My table is modern,  a MusicHall 5 table.  I listen to vinyl 99.997 % of the time. My first SET amp is on my bench to be refreshed, a Magnavox 196, so I have no relationship to the sound differences between P-P and SET yet.
Here is my problem,  and I'm looking for honest and subjective opinions. As I said,  I was looking at the Super Alnico Monitors to purchase after my move into my new space and after the purchase of the Decware amp, which i am hoping will be my reference A system.  Well,  I ran across a pair of Hoyt Bedford 1s that I can  get pretty cheap now in place of the SAMs but I don't know if i will have buyers remorse down the road.  Doing research on these speaks here shows that the HBs give good bang for the buck but i don't know if they will handle my type of music as well as the SAMs will. I know this hobby is all subjective and milage may vary, and blah blah, but since I'm buying these both unheard,  I'm a little unsure what to expect between the two. Are we looking at apples to apples,  or is it more apples to oranges ? Is there a greater pull to one over the other? Which would have better bass response,  mid range response?  Subjective experiences of the two will help me make up my mind.

TIA

ACHiPo

Re: New member looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2016, 05:57 am »
Welcome!  Wish I could help you, but I'm afraid I don't know anything about your desired gear.  Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2016, 06:41 am »
Hello gfxmla,

Welcome to the Omega AudioCircle.  Hope you find a wealth of useful information.  Not sure what you can get the Hoyts for, but even new they were a bargain, and if you're reserved about treading the waters of singledriverdom, the Hoyts might be a great place to start.

However, the Hoyts are not in the same class as the Alnico Monitors (I've had the Type 1 and 1.5 and currently have Alnico Monitors.  Right across the frequency spectrum the Alnicos beat the Hoyts, and so they should, they're more than double the money.  The Decware SE84UFO, UFO2, or 34i.5 will make lovely mates for the Alnicos.  On the used market any vintage SE84 or 34i.3 or later will also be a great choice.  :thumb:

ozoid

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2016, 07:08 am »
Welcome to the group!

I can't speak to the Hoyt-Bedfords, your Klipschs, your vintage gear, nor a comparison between P-P & SET. But I did acquire last summer a pair of Alnico monitors and a Decware Zen Triode, one of the first with the new transformers.

I had been able to hear the Omegas & the Decware separately, but not together until they were connected in my listening room. Turns out together they sound just like I thought they would: supremely musical.

If you look at the thread "What Lights Up Your Omegas" you can see a bit of the range of music I listen to and I find I rarely listen to the equipment; I'm too busy paying attention to the music. I'm not sure what you mean by "bass response," but as a former bass player I can tell you the tone I hear from the bass instruments (acoustic and electric bass, timpani, trombone, tuba, and tenor, baritone and bass saxes) on the Zen-SAM combo often takes my breath away. It's rich and right there, aggressive when I think that's what the player intends, rounded and laid back when that's what seems to be right. I'm not using subs.

I'm also impressed with the dynamic range, not just between pianissimo and fortissimo, but the micro-dynamics in the middle that give a musical phrase real depth and meaning. (if music can be said to mean anything) Fine dynamic distinctions are particularly difficult to achieve with bass instruments (and really difficult with electric bass) and it's critical with any instrument in classical music. Otherwise, Bach becomes monotonous and great piano sonatas are nothing more than technical demonstrations.

Hope this helps.

Guy 13

« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2016, 12:39 pm »
A warm welcome to AudioCircle Mr. gfxmla

Guy 13

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2016, 02:39 pm »
Gfxmla,
Your musical taste are excellent, especially krautrock, maybe you like ambient music too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXlVmynC7Pg
I would not use PP amps with an Omega speaker, these speakers are much revealer. I suggest you stick with single ended amps as Decware Rachel(EL34=7W), Wright Lolita el34, the Zen Triode EL84 is nice also but its 2W only.
The SE and Alnico is the best way to FR drivers.

gfxmla

« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2016, 03:21 pm »
Why thanks  :D I do like ambient,  but I dont have much vinyl there yet.  Lately,  I have been getting tired of guitar based music,  so a shift in my listening is coming. BTW,  check out this: https://youtu.be/45gOZQMa1es

Thanks for all the feedback from everyone so far,  it has been very informative.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 10 Feb 2016, 03:37 pm »
Wow great music, thanks for point it.
Quality music are rare today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YraNWuv30dM&spfreload=10

gfxmla

« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2016, 04:11 am »
Thx FRMan… try this modern "krautrock" made by these guys from Chile,  SA.  I can hear the Neu!. https://youtu.be/SGzvHL7b6fQ

On a different note,  it was suggested I  ask the forum if there is anyone in my area who would be willing to have me come by to audition their Omegas.  I'm in the Central NJ/Philly area if there is anyone in the locale. Please pm me if willing.
Thx!