Batteries for Tap X

mikeeastman

Batteries for Tap X
« on: 21 Nov 2016, 03:00 pm »
I'm picking up a Tap X and want to power it off a battery . I believe it needs 9 volts? Any recommendation on a battery and charger. What is he actual voltage range that will work with the Tap X?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Batteries for Tap X
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2016, 03:03 pm »
Why do this?  The power is just providing power for the relay's. 

mikeeastman

« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2016, 03:28 pm »
I didn't know that, thanks I won't bother with battery.

brj

« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2016, 05:49 pm »
One comment - if you're currently using an SMPS to power the TAP-X, then using a cleaner power source avoids dumping noise onto the power lines that may impact other components in the system, even if the TAP-X itself is immune.  This could just as easily be a decent but inexpensive linear power supply, however - you don't necessarily need a battery.  And even that may be unneeded if your power conditioning is up to the task.

(My TAP-X is powered via a Pi Audio Battery BUSS, but I already had it to power other components in my system, and it was cheaper to get a new B-BUSS DC umbilical to feed the TAP-X than to get another linear power supply.)

mikeeastman

« Reply #4 on: 22 Nov 2016, 12:54 am »
I have a PI battery buss but it seams a bit of over kill for the Tap X, I have HDPLEX 100 that I can try.

Thanks for the replies.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 22 Nov 2016, 12:57 am »
I have a PI battery buss but it seams a bit of over kill for the Tap X, I have HDPLEX 100 that I can try.

Thanks for the replies.
Check your wall wort.  John shipped many of them with a linear wall wort and NOT SMPS.  If not, you can buy one for $12 and be done.