Any owners of the VR2's still out there?

chgolatin2

Any owners of the VR2's still out there?
« on: 19 Sep 2015, 01:00 pm »
I am a proud owner of set of VR2's speakers, been having them for years and I still love them today as I did yesterday.  One day I almost sold them but I decided that these speakers sounded too good "still" to let them go.  I think they will remain with me for quite some time.  Running a Cary Audio SLI 80 with a Cambridge Audio 840C cd player, iDecco for my iPod/iPhone, using DH labs speaker wires, signal cable power cord and interconnects and I am streaming lossless/FLAC music rom TIDAL  :wink:  So I am curious what replaced the VR2's?  Schweikert line is beyond my budget nowadays  :cry:

JackD201

Re: Any owners of the VR2's still out there?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2015, 02:10 pm »
The Vortex VR-22s are the 2's successors :)

Indiansprings

« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2015, 07:20 pm »
 :D I am still running mine. Love them.
Thorens TD160 w/Denon 103R
Audible Illusions Modulus 3A
Odyssey Stratos Extreme Mono's

BigSwede

« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2015, 01:20 pm »
I had VR-2s a while ago. They are excellent speakers. I didn't get rid of the VR-2s because I didn't like them, I liked them so much they inspired me to upgrade to VR-33s (VR-22s were not out then), which have the same VSA house sound that I love but are a little better in every aspect. I can only imagine what the rest of the VSA line sounds like.

rich58b

« Reply #4 on: 3 Oct 2015, 04:35 am »
I'm with BigSwede! I had a pair of VR2's for a number of years and loved them. And... for the same reasons as he, I moved up to the VR 33's which have that same full sound that  Von Schweikert speakers have. Whatever, It was a great move up and it's a lot of speaker for the money. Also, the personalized service you get from Von Schweikert is beyond compare. No one else has that!

blownrx7

« Reply #5 on: 6 Dec 2015, 09:52 pm »
I still have my VR-2's which serve as rear surrounds (yes it is overkill and I am tempted to put them in a dedicated 2nd 2-ch system instead) in my all VS HT. VR4.5's in the front with a VS center andTS-150 sides. I am using DIY subs - the only non-VS speakers in the system. What I like the most is the VS clarity does very well for movies.

nickgregory

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jan 2016, 02:34 pm »
I still have a set of VR2s bought directly from VS.  If I recall correctly it was one of the last pairs that they had in inventory as part of the discontinuance of them.  I have changed pretty much every part of my system over the 10 years that I have had them, but have stuck with the VR2s.  I keep an eye out for a mint set of VR-4Jrs as that is probably my only upgrade path that I am interested in. 

Analog - Nottingham Interspace Jr - > Musical surroundings Phonomea -> CJ PV11 pre -> (lowers CJ MF80 -> VR-2s) (uppers CIAudio VPC3 - >Primaluna Prologue 5-> VR2s)
Digital - Arcam DV137 / Sonos connect -> Rega DAC -> same as above

I will say the biggest change I made to my VR2s was bi-amping them which I did a couple of years ago.  And while that sounded great, when I added the CIAudio box to "dial in" the level that the uppers were fed, the VR2s sang like they never did before.  Don't ever see myself owning a non VS speaker...

Bill T

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2017, 11:16 pm »
A pair of VR2 is a recent acquisition about three weeks ago. I am still moving them around along with the rest of the equipment in the room. some marks on the cabinets but in pretty good shape. No spikes or shot. Ordered both which should show up next week. They seem easy to drive with either my SS or tube amps. A nice upgrade from where I was. A recent addition of a Bluesound Node 2 is helping with source material. I would like to find a reasonable cost pair of VR 1 for my office.

chgolatin2

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jul 2017, 04:44 am »
Been having mine for years, still love them today as I did yesterday~ But I also enjoy vintage speakers such as my JBL L50, L16's..

Sandrock

• *My Sound Space*
« Reply #9 on: 14 Aug 2017, 01:46 am »
Hello to you fellow VR-2 owners. My story goes way back to 2004 when I lived in San Diego and had a pair of modified Rouna speakers.
They were imported from Sweden and were made out of concrete.
They looked like the air intake on a ship only not round but oblong and just wide enough to hold a couple of 6.5 inch woofers and in between there was a 1 inch soft dome tweeter.
Anyway a friend convinced me to try out a pair of VR-2's to see what I thought.
Well it was somewhat close however the VR-2's were faster and had a little bit better bass to boot.
And the big plus was that they had a very nice wife approval rating.
So I purchased them and have not looked back in all these years.
I believe that when one finds something that works then there's no point in trying to fix it for the sake of fixing something that is not broke in the first place.
Anyway I am sure you get my drift, right?

I did spend some time with Albert at the recent "Ca Audio Show" here in the SF Bay Area and touched on what I might do to modify/improve the sound of my VR-2 speakers.
Well he thought for a second and launched into all sorts of cross-over changes and bracing and driver changes.
Way to much time and money to mess around with doing all that he suggested.

He then said that if I wanted to change up in speaker performance then the the upgrade speakers to purchase are his "Endeavor E-3 MK 11" retailing at $8,000 per pair in cherry Veneer and $10,500 in high gloss black or silver.

It features a dual-ring silk dome tweeter.
Kevlar midrange and dual 7 inch aluminum woofers.
Its a 3-way floor standing unit.
The size is 44"x9"x15"
Weight is 82 lbs per side.
4ohms and a sensitivity of 89dB
Freq Resp 28Hz - 22KHz
I did see them however they were not connected at the show so do not know how they sounded other then what Albert told me.

The local dealer lives in Santa Cruz and is about a 90 minute drive depending on traffic from my residence.
Everything goes up from there in the VSA speaker line.
So for me at this moment the VR-2's are where its at for me, at least until I hear the Endeavor E-3 MK 11's

WGH

« Reply #10 on: 14 Aug 2017, 03:04 am »
Albert is right about the bracing, the improvements in deep bass and focus alone are phenomenal. The VR2's were built to a price point, i.e., minimal bracing, so I came up with a DIY project that brings the sound of the VR2's to the next level. My mods squeeze every last drop of performance out of the original drivers and crossover. After all the mods, if you want even higher performance then buying new speakers is the best option.

The mod tutorial starts at Part 2: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=44748.0
Part 3, http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72808.msg683847#msg683847 , incorporates Albert's "Triple Wall Laminate" ideas in the VR2's design and are absolutely necessary to max out the sound.

Wayne

rich58b

« Reply #11 on: 14 Aug 2017, 04:06 am »
Sandrock, two other speakers you might also consider are the VR 33's and VR 35's, both a major step up from the VR2's. I had the VR2's for a few years and loved the classic Von Schweikert full rich sound. The VR 33's that I bought ($3750.) were a major step up. The 35's cost a bit more, but are basically the same speaker with upgraded parts throughout. You can see them here:

https://www.vonschweikert.com/copy-of-vr-reference-loudspeakers

Sandrock

• *My Sound Space*
« Reply #12 on: 18 Aug 2017, 12:44 am »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and opinion on the upgrade to the VR-2 speakers.
I have looked at the VR-33's but have not heard them as yet.
Nor for that mater the VR-35's.
The one somewhat disappointing issue with living in the SF Bay Area is the lack of true Hi-Fi shops to hear all that is out there.
Yes, if one has a boat-load of cash then no problem as the HT guys will make an exception and spend some quality time with you.

So I am a dinosaur with a plain Jane 2 channel system!
No mater how good or expensive it might be, its just 2 channel, right?
'What no surround sound?'.......
Grandpa, you are living in the stone age of sound......So go outside and play with the other kids on the block and don't bother us!

Yeah I know I am throwing stones but sometimes I like to let off a little steam and tell it how it is.
Is there anyone out there who might agree with me and my comments?

stlrman

« Reply #13 on: 18 Aug 2017, 03:30 am »
90 minutes is a nothing drive. And you get to go to Santa Cruz.  :duh:

Escott1377

« Reply #14 on: 18 Aug 2017, 01:40 pm »
If you search patiently, you can find a used pair of 4jr's, probably in the $2,500.00 range.

Albert was offering an upgrade to these but you will need to verify with him if you wanted to investigate.

Once all is said and done, this puts you close to the price point of the Endeavor.

Good luck -

Sandrock

• *My Sound Space*
« Reply #15 on: 26 Aug 2017, 12:15 am »
Yeah, I agree in that Santa Cruz is only a 90 minute drive (traffic permitting) however for me the stars need to align up so I can make the time and make sure my visit will be productive.
Don't get me wrong, I have not given up on my quest..... Keep you posted!

I understand about being patient especially with regards to a used pair of VR-4jr's.
However I am also intrigued with the new Endeavors and what they sound like.
So as you suggest, (be patient) and all things will come to you who wait, right?

cheers,
Ian

AlpinaM3

« Reply #16 on: 26 Aug 2017, 01:32 am »
I still have a pair of VR-2s I keep just because I like the way they sound. I bought them about 5 years ago new old stock so essentially I am the 1st owner. I also have a pair of Totem Rainmakers and VR-4.5s (with the full upgrade from VSA that they don't do anymore. I would like to have a pair of VR1s.

Bill T

« Reply #17 on: 29 Aug 2017, 03:13 pm »
I did add the lead shot (27# each) to the cabinets and purchased some nice 8 MM stainless steel spikes. This anchored the speakers well and it did tighten the bass up and helped with focus. For the reasonable cost and fine output I doubt I will upgrade to different speakers for quite a while.

They fill the room nicely with out having the sweet spot requirements of some other speakers I have tried. With my medium powered tube amps they do not seem to overtax the amps. The SS amps can push them harder with cleaner bass but lack the mid range smoothness.  The usual trade off but not as bad as with some other speakers.

Sandrock

• *My Sound Space*
« Reply #18 on: 1 Sep 2017, 01:07 am »
Bill T, actually I am in full agreement with you and your comment.
This is the main reason why I have not upgraded/changed out the VR 2's!
I am very happy and pleased overall in how they sound from top to bottom and in-between as well.
Its not that the desire is not there, but I have yet to hear a better speaker, and when one factors in the 'cost' of that new wizbang toy, along with the disposal depreciation of the current speakers, well it just makes me tired...... So I sit and enjoy what I have.

As you all know, everything in life is a trade-off so one needs to look carefully at the whole picture before taking the plunge.

I use to have oceans of cash before the 'great-resesion' of 08 and thought nothing of swapping out items when the mood presented its self.
But times have changed, plus I very recently changed out all my electronics to the latest and greatest iterations and need to digest them first before I jump on the speaker change-out band wagon. 

so the speakers are my last frontier, and I am expecting them to complete the circle and be the biggest bang-for-the-buck performance and bring the whole system together.
So as I said earlier, I sit and listen.....

Please enjoy your VR 2's as much if not more then I do!
I am very pleased with mine and I hope to be able to say that for some time to come.....
I will keep you posted, right?

Bill T

« Reply #19 on: 9 Sep 2017, 01:01 pm »
I found a nice pair of VR1 and made the plunge. These are located in my office adjacent to the room with the VR2. They sound very nice and fit the 9'x9' room much better.