SACD ripping using a PS3

windhoek

• Live life like you're gonna die, cos you're gonna!
Re: SACD ripping using a PS3
« Reply #280 on: 13 Aug 2014, 04:08 pm »
Thanks for the replies. When I try to rip those discs, the PS3 freezes, or it seems like it freezes, but perhaps as mentioned above, it's actually doing the rip without displaying the progress bars. I've previously soft-killed the PS3 at this point, but next time will let it run for 25 minutes or so to see if it rips the discs in the background as it were. I'll update the thread after giving it a go.

Phil A

« Reply #281 on: 13 Aug 2014, 04:38 pm »
I actually have a thumb drive that flashes and I'll have to try that method.  I've just been leaving it in and waiting past when it would normally rip the disc image.

windhoek

« Reply #282 on: 17 Aug 2014, 07:30 am »
Woohoo! It looks like leaving it to rip works as just I inserted the Eric Clapton SACD, 461 Ocean Boulevard (SHM) and although no progress bar displayed, I left it for about 25 minutes and when I popped the flash drive into my PC, the ISO and Log File were present. Thanks for solution guys :)

Aura

« Reply #283 on: 18 Sep 2014, 11:35 am »
Dear Ted

I'm willing to rip sacd via the old PS3 with the right firmware 3.55 but I would like to use the Jesus's GUI to achieve this easily.
Unfortunately the following link is leading to an 404 error message
http://www.sonore.us/apps2.html

Do you know how to get it

Thank you for your help

(And sorry for my English - I am French)

windhoek

« Reply #284 on: 19 Sep 2014, 05:50 am »
Dear Ted

I'm willing to rip sacd via the old PS3 with the right firmware 3.55 but I would like to use the Jesus's GUI to achieve this easily.
Unfortunately the following link is leading to an 404 error message
http://www.sonore.us/apps2.html

Do you know how to get it

Thank you for your help

(And sorry for my English - I am French)

Try this link; I had it bookmarked :)
http://www.rendu.sonore.us/apps2.html

ismewor

« Reply #285 on: 8 Oct 2014, 08:49 pm »
Newie, First post. I have been follow up on the SACD Rip for over a year. and finally decide to pull it off.
Just order OFW 3.55 from ebay. lets see how that turn out. and will keep it posted. :thumb:

-Adrian

Aura

« Reply #286 on: 14 Oct 2014, 04:49 am »
Try this link; I had it bookmarked :)
http://www.rendu.sonore.us/apps2.html

Dear Windhoek

Thank you so much for your help. Your link is the right one.  :thumb:
I'm so happy, cause it woks so easily.

How can I help somehow those who provide this very helpfull tool ?

windhoek

« Reply #287 on: 14 Oct 2014, 06:13 am »
Tres bon Aura :D

windhoek

« Reply #288 on: 14 Oct 2014, 06:32 am »
I meant to say a while ago Ted, it might be worth adding to the guide a genuine Sony PS3 controller is required to complete install of the software because afaik, only Sony PS3 controllers have a 'PS' button and it's not possible to complete installation without it.

The PS3 I bought didn't come supplied with a remote so I foolishly bought a 3rd party controller without a PS button (I don't think any 3rd party controllers have it) so wasted money and time needlessly.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #289 on: 14 Oct 2014, 01:09 pm »
I was not aware that non-Sony controllers have no PS3 button.  Weird as heck.  Will check into this and document, thanks.

I few of us on Computer Audiophile are working through an exciting new way to rip ISOs.  As many of you know, Mr Wicked's sacd_extract (any version) has a small bug that leaves DSF extraction with a small click in between tracks due to the final DSF data block being truncated.  However, DFF extraction is not the answer because that format has no ability to be tagged, for example.

All sacd_extract versions have the DSF bug. It, the click, has been a difficult subject because, depending on DAC and playback software, it's audibility can range from none (inaudible) to headphone-barely-there to CLICK (audible and annoying, but not a "crack" or thud). On my systems only the Mytek would have a true CLICK allergy with it, (not Meitner, not Chord, not many others) but it was there nonetheless. I found it's low level of audibility so innocuous that I never saw it as a hurdle, and continued to push DSF due to its overwhelming advantage of metadata/tagging compatibility with ID3V2. DFF has no tag capability.

Also, these clicks have been confused with some DACs allergy to going from PCM to DSD (or back). THAT transition can cause a louder click or annoying CRACK in some systems.

Well.....now two great minds on CA (Miska, author of HQPlayer, and Peter Bogan, a smart developer in his own right) are getting together and creating a solution where you right click on an ISO in Windows Explorer, pick "ISO to DSF" and then the programs will first extract to DFF, then to DSF, thereby getting rid of the clicks and carrying the decent tags/metadata that the ISO has in it to the DSF files.  I'm helping them work out issues.  Miska's DFF2DSF converter is the engine, and Bogi (CA user name) is adding the user friendly packaging and Windows Explorer context issues.

I will introduce the solution here once we have the bugs worked out.  Currently the tags end up in a text file (and cue file if needed) which then requires a stop at MP3TAG.  They are working on doing that right in the process.

The final solution will be documented in the next update to my Guide, too.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #290 on: 14 Oct 2014, 01:54 pm »
Windhoek, I cannot find a 3rd party PS3 controller that does not have a PS/home button (have 2 here, and looked online as well).  Which one did you buy?

windhoek

« Reply #291 on: 14 Oct 2014, 05:05 pm »
I can't recall Ted, but I remember it had a faux PS button, but it didn't execute the command. I'll have a look at the guide later and see when this issue cropped up. I might have been unlucky with the one I bought, but I'm sure all the non-Sony controllers I looked at didn't have a real PS button.

EDIT: I had a look at the guide and I'm pretty sure I encountered problems with the unofficial controller when hacking the PS3. It might well be I just had a duff controller, but I reckon (with very limited evidence) the hack can't be done with an unofficial controllers. I'm more than happy for this not to be the case however :)
« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2014, 07:23 pm by windhoek »

tonyptony

« Reply #292 on: 24 Oct 2014, 02:35 am »
Ted, that's great news. I did have a question about something I've noticed, though. Are there known circumstances where the rip progress bar will not display during a rip? Sometimes I'll start a rip and the PS3 display will remain on the initial SACD ID page, but most times it will transition to the progress bar display as it should. Any thoughts on why this might happen?

Duh! I see Windhoek mentioned the exact same thing at the top of this page. :duh:

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #293 on: 24 Oct 2014, 02:41 am »
Yes, we call that bug a "blind rip".  Just let it rip, watch the light on the USB thumb drive and wait till it stops (about 20 min on average).  Rip should be fine.  Then power down the PS3 by holding power button or unplugging.

Another (unrelated) tip: if after a rip finishes and you eject then your X button does not give you "insert SACD, etc" hit the PS3 button, then back button (red O) then X again.  Should work this time.

tonyptony

« Reply #294 on: 24 Oct 2014, 02:44 am »
Thanks Ted. Currently waiting for the blinkie to stop. :thumb:

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #295 on: 24 Oct 2014, 02:47 am »
This is the newest, most ready-for-prime-time version of ISO2DSF v1.2.1 containing the following changes against (beta) v1.2.0:
- corrected support for double quotes in album and track titles and performers
- added support for ID3v2 frames: DATE, GENRE, ISRC (if found in SACD ISO metadata)
- added Catalog Number as COMMENT ID3v2 frame (if found in SACD ISO metadata)

Download: https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B1IZPbDClIn6SWxTXzQxYlBhQ2M

Download and read the PDF first.  You'll need to download Miska's DFF2DSF and the sacd_extract and put in same folder. 

This is the solution that does ISO to DFF to DSF (and puts ISO-generated tags in DSF automatically).  It solves the clicks issue, and allows for right-click-on-ISO context sensitive Windows Explorer capability.  Thanks to Paul Bogan, Miska and Mr Wicked (of course). 

I will add this, to go along with Jesus's great GUI extraction tools, to the next update of the guide.
« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2014, 12:07 pm by ted_b »

strat95

« Reply #296 on: 24 Oct 2014, 04:21 am »
Thanks Ted.  The link is not working though.  Still, I look forward to checking this out and thanks to all involved.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #297 on: 24 Oct 2014, 11:49 am »
Thanks Ted.  The link is not working though.  Still, I look forward to checking this out and thanks to all involved.

Fixed, sorry, thanks.

tonyptony

« Reply #298 on: 25 Oct 2014, 07:45 pm »
Ted, I followed the instructions, installed everything, and used the new ISO2DSD on one of my previously ripped ISO files. I compared it to the DSF conversion I did with the previous version of ISO2DSD and sacd_extract. I still hear a very slight "tick" at the start of each track, no different between versions - although on my system it's always been very very slight.

tonyptony

« Reply #299 on: 26 Oct 2014, 02:13 am »
Hmm, one other odd thing, having nothing to do with the updated version of software. My PS3 refuses to recognize one of my hybrid SCAD discs as being SACD. It's a Multichannel SCAD Sampler made in Germany in 2001. It has the SACD logo and the sticker that says it will play in all CD and SACD players, but when I pop it into the PS3 it does not recognize it as SACD.