VMPS speakers in Savannah

Stimpy

VMPS speakers in Savannah
« on: 31 Jul 2013, 05:59 pm »
Hope this is OK to post here. 

Not mine.  But not a bad price, since these look to be in good shape. Look's like these have updated woofers too. They'd make a great HT speaker, no subwoofer needed...!  (Like that's news to anyone here...)!  :lol:

http://savannah.craigslist.org/ele/3925275611.html

fc7jz-3925275611@sale.craigslist.org

"Hi End Speakers(VMPS) - $400 (Thunderbolt)

VMPS Super Tower II. Monster hi end speakers in great shape. Original price around 3000$. Too large for my house, have to go."

Hipper

Re: VMPS speakers in Savannah
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jul 2013, 06:02 pm »
Brian made some beasts didn't he!

Stimpy

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2013, 06:08 pm »
They'd make a good 'entry level' speaker...!!!    :o

Now, I want to know the story on these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VMPS-ST-R-custom-by-Brian-Cheney-one-of-a-kind-speaker-/271244713033?ssPageName=ADME%3AB%3AWNA%3AUS%3A3160&nma=true&si=EpED9jfCz2ZZSUhuMRNxMEte6uI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

"I have a nice pair of VMPS speakers.  They were completely rebuilt with new drivers and wiring by Brian Cheney about four years ago at a cost of $3000.  These are a custom design and need to be tri-amped with an outboard crossover.  This listing is only for the speakers no crossover included, I have two that work a JBL M553 and Audio Research EC-4a, again not included, but are also for sale.  The cabinets are in good condition with normal wear, both grilles are present and all drivers are excellent.  The drivers are as follows:  15" passive woofer (down firing), 15" active woofer, 12" carbon fiber woofer with wood phase plug, two 4"x4" planar mid-ranges and a compression horn driver.  They measure 20" x 20" X 60" and weigh about 200 lbs each.  All drivers were bought and installed by Brian Cheney at VMPS.  These are for pick up only, I live just outside Pittsburgh, PA.  I might be able to deliver within 250 miles, not included.  Please feel free to ask any questions and thank you for looking.

I only have one pictured, the other is a mirror image and will post pictures later."

While I 'believe' that Brian didn't mind making custom speakers; these just don't strike me as something Brian would do?!?  I'd love to know their history?   :scratch:

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2013, 06:29 pm »
While I 'believe' that Brian didn't mind making custom speakers; these just don't strike me as something Brian would do?!?  I'd love to know their history?

I tend to think the same.  While Brian and I had many conversations regarding his "horn designs" he had in the back of his mind, unless a customer "specifically" asked for a compression horn, I don't see B doing this.

Particularly in that the finished product didn't incorporate the ideas he told me about.

But, I am sure it would be an interesting story.

By the way we DO have a few of the DynaRibbon drivers left over for those who might need them.

Stimpy

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jul 2013, 09:58 pm »
Thanks John, I appreciate the confirmation.  Plus, while I'm not a big fan of horn loaded speakers, I do know that many people like them.  And I can understand why.  But, I just can't imagine a compression tweeter sounding better that the trifecta of tweeters, that were already in use in this speaker, pre-mod.  Weird to me.  Plus, that's a pretty drastic mod, that can't help resale value!  :cry:  Maybe that's why they didn't receive a bid?!?    :?

I do like the look of the modded speaker; I just don't know if I'd like the sound?  I'd probably just mod them back to stock, if they ever became mine...  Still, I'd like to hear them; for educational purposes!   :)

Oh yea, I've always been curious; how were those Dynapleat drivers?  Decent sounding?  Similar to the Neo Planar mids?  I've never heard them, and always wondered how they compared to Brian's final designs?   :dunno:

Thanks again!

I tend to think the same.  While Brian and I had many conversations regarding his "horn designs" he had in the back of his mind, unless a customer "specifically" asked for a compression horn, I don't see B doing this.