Finally got dream car (mostly)

drphoto

Re: Finally got dream car (mostly)
« Reply #40 on: 23 Jul 2016, 09:05 pm »
I don't think a VW wagon is exactly a prestige car. I got it because I like the look, can haul my stuff, is a riot to drive. and looks good enough to show up driving on a high dollar photoshoot.

srb

« Reply #41 on: 23 Jul 2016, 09:47 pm »
I don't think a VW wagon is exactly a prestige car. I got it because I like the look, can haul my stuff, is a riot to drive. and looks good enough to show up driving on a high dollar photoshoot.

There's a certain elegance to VW and Audi sheet metal, while perhaps boring to some, conveys the feeling of a good fitting well-tailored suit.

Many cars (particularly Japanese and Korean) are so inundated with creases and swoops that they look hokey.  I only want my car to look like it's going downhill .... when it's going downhill.

Steve

drphoto

« Reply #42 on: 23 Jul 2016, 10:31 pm »
well stated srb

Wayner

« Reply #43 on: 23 Jul 2016, 10:49 pm »
I just picked up a Ford Fusion "Titanium". Its a Lincoln without the Lincoln price. Nice to own an American, company car. It is fully loaded.

drphoto

« Reply #44 on: 23 Jul 2016, 11:39 pm »
I love what Ford is doing lately. BTW: they build the Escape right here in my hometown. I shot picture at that plant when it made the Explorer.

Car factories are way cool. Fun to see.

Focus ST was on my list of possibles when I was shopping.

I rented a Fiesta once when my van was in shop. For a base econo box. It was hella fun to drive. I sorta hated giving it back.  :)

drphoto

« Reply #45 on: 24 Jul 2016, 09:30 pm »
Hey how do you post pix here? remember I've been away for over 6 years. Good to be back. BTW  Made some great friends here. Met a bunch in person and it was a blast.

Is Marbles (rob) still around??

Norman Tracy

« Reply #46 on: 24 Jul 2016, 10:36 pm »
drphoto

Sweet choice on the new ride. I just returned from S. Calf. visiting my son and his pride and joy (not counting my granddaughter, of course!) is his Audi A3 sportwagon. I got to drive it on the twisters on Mount Palomar and the driving sensation, design, fit and finish left me green eyed with sinful envy. My daily is an RX-8 and the weekend car is a 1972 911. Before the Mazda I had a WRX. We have also had a GTi through the family motor pool that I still regret letting go of. There is just something about the tactile sensation of the VW/Audi and other German sports cars. Everything is so perfectly weighted and damped.

To post the requested pics is easy. Step 1 is get the pic on the web, I see you have a AudioCircle gallery you can upload them to. Step 2 is while in the 'Post reply' GUI of AudioCircle with cursor where you want image use the Insert Image button (first on the second row, icon is a tiny Mona Lisa) then below the edit screen use the 'Select and insert an image from your gallery' button. It will allow you to select the pic you want to go in the post.

drphoto

« Reply #47 on: 24 Jul 2016, 11:17 pm »
Thanks Norman. Yeah, I searched high and low for one of those A3 wagons. Rare as 'hens teeth' as they used to say back in the country.

along with Gti's I do see a few first year residents at hospital driving them, before they move up the ranks and on to the big dollar cars.

Unfortunately Audi surrendered to the pressure of the US market and only imports the A3 sedan now.

I don't look at VW or entry Audi as any sort of 'status' vehicle. I just love that they get it all right. from the design, to the interior quality to the driving dynamics. And lately they've gotten the quality way up. Yes they do cost a lot to maintain. but if you do the service I don't think they fail all that much.But you can't just drive them and forget the service. Yes, you can run the snot out of a Toyota and get away with it. But you couldn't give me one. (sorry toyota fans) Their cars just bore me to death. (although that sports car, called the 2000 I think in the 60's was the shit......and the Supra was pretty bad ass)

People in the US just don't like wagons or hatches for some very strange reason. I mean I can haul as much gear as a compact 'crossover' and pull 0.9 g in a turn? Hell yes. I suppose I do get the fact that people like to sit up high. It is a little intimidating being down low when everything else towers.  But I'll sure have a lot more fun along the way.  :lol:

drphoto

« Reply #48 on: 25 Jul 2016, 12:14 am »
Ok, let's see if I can figure out this upload photo thing.....

Uhhh. if that uploaded, correctly, that image has been photoshopped to show projected 1" drop from when I install the sport suspension.

*Scotty*

« Reply #49 on: 25 Jul 2016, 12:27 am »
Looks real clean.
Are there any reports of front wheel well rubbing during cornering after the drop in suspension height?
Also can static negative camber be dialed in on the front struts as well as some more positive caster if needed for high speed stability?
Scotty

drphoto

« Reply #50 on: 25 Jul 2016, 12:43 am »
Scotty I don't anticipate any issues. It really isn't much of a drop. I think the pic is a bit misleading. It's basically the same as a GTI suspension plus the added bonus of the Koni shocks. I will have realignment done by VW dealer. I really don't think it will need any camber adjustment.

I'm not into to that 'slammed' look. I think it's just stupid. Ruins the handling. I wanna make it better. It's already good. Should be a riot after upgrade. I will try and then decide if I wanna run a stiffer rear sway bar.

And as mentioned earlier, I plan on cold air, cat back and maybe ECM refresh. I don't expect miracle gains. Any cold air that claims 20 hp is bullshit.

And I don't really care about speed. But motor is a little slow to spin up. Once you get into power band it does pretty well. Yeah somebody said car test at 8.4 zero to 60, but I bet that was in std d mode on tranny. I'm gonna have to time it in sport. Seems way quicker. I'm guessing maybe 7. Yeah, not gti quick, but hey, it's not a turbo motor either. But I get better reliability I suppose......

Maybe mods will drop it into 6 sec range. Be pretty cool for a sleeper wagon.

drphoto

« Reply #51 on: 25 Jul 2016, 01:10 am »
Just went back through the thread. Tom S, you had an Audi Avant. I love those! Aren't you a friend of Rob's? is he still around?

drphoto

« Reply #52 on: 25 Jul 2016, 01:11 am »
Just went back through the thread. Tom S, you had an Audi Avant. I love those! Aren't you a friend of Rob's? is he still around? Hella nice guy. I loved the couple of get meet ups we had at his place.

Uhh sorry, as trying to mod existing post.

TomS

« Reply #53 on: 25 Jul 2016, 02:15 am »
Just went back through the thread. Tom S, you had an Audi Avant. I love those! Aren't you a friend of Rob's? is he still around?
Yes, we met at one of those a long time ago. Rob's still kicking around, not so much audio, just having fun with his rural property last I heard. Kids in college, etc.

drphoto

« Reply #54 on: 25 Jul 2016, 02:40 am »
Yeah, it was a really long time ago. I played kickball with his kids. In college now. Damn.

Tell him hello (or 'hey' as they say down here in the the south) if you see him. Hella nice guy.

Anyway, any wagons cool by me. Audi Avant  :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #55 on: 25 Jul 2016, 09:41 am »
Doh!

Thought I had a dream car picked out, a yellow Alfa Romeo 4C Spider, but the 4C's only come with automatic transmission!!!

What's wrong with this world?

Just as well.  Can't afford one and the maintenance would probably be a nightmare (Alfa's have never been known to be reliable and now owned by FCA plus the nearest dealership is 60+ miles away). 

ctviggen

« Reply #56 on: 25 Jul 2016, 10:44 am »
Thanks Norman. Yeah, I searched high and low for one of those A3 wagons. Rare as 'hens teeth' as they used to say back in the country.

along with Gti's I do see a few first year residents at hospital driving them, before they move up the ranks and on to the big dollar cars.

Unfortunately Audi surrendered to the pressure of the US market and only imports the A3 sedan now.

I don't look at VW or entry Audi as any sort of 'status' vehicle. I just love that they get it all right. from the design, to the interior quality to the driving dynamics. And lately they've gotten the quality way up. Yes they do cost a lot to maintain. but if you do the service I don't think they fail all that much.But you can't just drive them and forget the service. Yes, you can run the snot out of a Toyota and get away with it. But you couldn't give me one. (sorry toyota fans) Their cars just bore me to death. (although that sports car, called the 2000 I think in the 60's was the shit......and the Supra was pretty bad ass)

People in the US just don't like wagons or hatches for some very strange reason. I mean I can haul as much gear as a compact 'crossover' and pull 0.9 g in a turn? Hell yes. I suppose I do get the fact that people like to sit up high. It is a little intimidating being down low when everything else towers.  But I'll sure have a lot more fun along the way.  :lol:

VW is definitely not a status vehicle.  It's really a younger person's vehicle, except for the wagons, which older folks drive. 

Not everyone in the US dislikes hatchbacks.  I've owned a Saab 9-3 Viggen (thus, my moniker) hatchback, then a VW Jetta "Sportwagen" (but TDI, so VW will be buying back), and now a Chevy Volt hatchback.  Even in my Saab, I hauled a washing machine and many other items.  The least useful of the three is the Volt, mainly because you cannot install a roof rack.  Two weeks ago, we went to get a couch from Costo.  It came in three boxes.  For one box, we put that in my wife's Honda Pilot.  We put one in my VW, and one on the roof (tied down with four ratcheting tie downs).  And I regularly take the VW to the big box stores to get wood and materials for projects.  The only thing I can't get is 4x8 sheets of plywood, drywall, etc., unless I want to put those on the roof and tie them down.   I'll have to see if our Honda Pilot can take those on the inside.

I read a review once of a BMW wagon (I think it was the 5 series), and they compared it to one of BMW's SUVs.  They said the wagon was cheaper, faster, got better gas mileage, had more interior storage space, drove much better...pretty much beat the SUV in every single category.  Yet BMW sold way more SUVs than wagons in the US. 

BobRex

« Reply #57 on: 25 Jul 2016, 12:52 pm »
I read a review once of a BMW wagon (I think it was the 5 series), and they compared it to one of BMW's SUVs.  They said the wagon was cheaper, faster, got better gas mileage, had more interior storage space, drove much better...pretty much beat the SUV in every single category.  Yet BMW sold way more SUVs than wagons in the US.

I'd love to drive a good sport wagon, except for 2 things: 1)  I wrecked my back a few years ago, and as a result most of my lumbar region (L3-S1) is bolted together.  Hence I have limited flexibility and I have difficulty / pain getting into and out of cars - they sit too low.  2) I work at a hospital and am considered essential personnel (don't know why, mine is a IT function), so I need to be able to get to work.  I used to drive an Audi A6. but that bottomed out in a few snow storms, so I need more clearance.  So I drive a BMW X3 now - it "behaves" almost like a car - little body roll and virtually no plow - but has easy egress/ingress and sufficient clearance. 

I drove an FPace the other day, loved the engine (a slightly de-tuned FTYPE), and everything else was OK, until I learned that you needed to buy the tech package to get a CD player.   That's almost 3 grand to play CDs.  Besides, the wife didn't like the high hood.  Also took a GLC for a short run.  That was promising, slightly tighter than the X3.

WC

« Reply #58 on: 25 Jul 2016, 02:39 pm »
Congrats on your purchase. I always liked VW cars, even owned a 1995 GTI and a 2000 Jetta. The Jetta left a bad taste in my mouth as to VW's reliability, so I will probably not buy another. My Toyota 4-runner which I bought to replace the Jetta has been much more reliable and it is also fun to drive.

chip

« Reply #59 on: 25 Jul 2016, 04:26 pm »
I have a 2014 VW GTI which I really enjoy. Congrats on your VW. Though lately I have been liking the Audi All Roads..........