Rumors about a low-power class A power amp module

Vlad_Bath

Rumors about a low-power class A power amp module
« on: 30 Jun 2015, 04:06 pm »
Hi there! I can't quite put my finger on where I got it from, but I remember reading that a low-power class A power amp module is in the plans. Is it true?
Any info regarding the specs and voicing? My speakers are rather sensitive at 98dB (Audio Note AN-E SPe HE), so I don't need much power.
If there is any quality advantage expected with the prospective new class A module, may be there is a reason to wait for it rather than getting the current class AB module?
At least for the high efficiency and single driver crowd... At the same time, considering all the raves I read about the currently produced class AB module, can it be really much improved upon?
Thanks!

Vlad

Vinnie R.

Re: Rumors about a low-power class A power amp module
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2015, 07:31 pm »
Hi Vlad,

Welcome to the VR forum!

You probably read about it in the "LIO module ideas and suggestions" thread, here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=130693.0

It is something that I will be looking more into, but not until after RMAF time (October) because we are working
on a more powerful, stand-alone amplifier product using LIO's ultracapacitor technology.

As for your questions:

At the same time, considering all the raves I read about the currently produced class AB module, can it be really much improved upon?

- Great question, and this is a big unknown.  If it does not sound as good as LIO MOSFET AMP (in its lower power range, of course), I will NOT offer it.  Just because it is ran in Class A does not mean it will sound better.  We'll have to carefully listen when that time comes. 

Any info regarding the specs and voicing? My speakers are rather sensitive at 98dB (Audio Note AN-E SPe HE), so I don't need much power.

- Regarding power, I doubt we'd be able to get more than a couple of watts.  One of the biggest challenges will be heat, and limited
space for heat-sinking.  We'll have to think about that one, as with class A, we'll be throwing away in the neighborhood of 20 watts of heat per channel.  :flame:  Toasty!

Later this year, I'll have more capacity to tackle this and keep everyone posted.

Until then, I'll continue to work very hard on the higher power, stand alone power amp.  There has been a great amount of interest
in this one, and I plan to have something to show at RMAF in early October.

Vinnie

Bache audio

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2015, 10:46 pm »
Hi Vlad,  the best amp for you tube amp Single ended class A with no feedback, and you need 15 watt power ,  if you in NY, i can show some Gregory

Vinnie R.

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2015, 10:56 pm »
Hi Vlad,  the best amp for you tube amp Single ended class A with no feedback, and you need 15 watt power ,  if you in NY, i can show some Gregory

Hi Gregory / Bache audio,

Please do not advertise here on the Vinnie Rossi forum.   :nono:  :duh:

There is a place on audiocircle for industry ads.  You can also request to have your own circle here, and
I will not post about Vinnie Rossi gear on it.  :wink:

Thank you for your understanding,

Vinnie

Vlad_Bath

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jul 2015, 11:03 am »
     Vinnie, thanks a lot for the info!
I agree that the sound quality is the final determinator, all the rest is just marketing and prejudice - judging equipment depending on the circuit type is futile.
There are some chip amps (class D) that can successfully compete with class A amplifiers.
     Thank you, Gregory. Regarding your recommendation to get a SET amplifier, I have a few tube amps, including SET (Berning ZH-270, Wavac MD-811, VTL TT25 Tiny Triodes).
So far I am yet to hear a power amp to eclipse my Berning (PP OTL). But from time to time I read about solid state amps that rival a good tube amplifier and do not sound like solid state.
I am quite interested to hear them in my system. Namely Firenze Audio Rosso 460B, PTP Audio Bloc20, some Lavardin and LFD models. If they can sound as good, why use tubes?
I was planning to try one of these (probably the one from PTP) when I read about LIO, and how good the amp module is. Mr.Rossi has quite a reputation for building excellent amps (RWA).
At the same time I was thinking of getting a remote controlled attenuator with a balance control to complement my Shindo preamp.
People who make commercial preamps without a remote control and a balance pot should be given a separate punishment for that in the afterlife! Sorry, Mr.Shindo, Mr.Kondo, etc., etc.
Anyway, LIO addresses two of my issues, and has wonderful upgrade/update capabilities. It seems expensive only until one realizes the savings it allows.
Selling my interconnects alone will return a grand, and power conditioner will return another. So I plan to order LIO soon.
And if I personally find out that the LIO amp is more than a convenience add-on (why not through in the amp if I'm buying the thing anyway), and it manages to be on par with Berning and Wavac....
Then it really is a true price/performance revolution, no less!  I certainly hope for that (dreaming of selling all the glass, getting rid of many boxes, and simplifying the system to the extreme).

yardbird4

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jul 2015, 08:25 pm »
Amen to that.  If this pans out the sell off will pay for my LIO plus future Modules and significant cash reserves.