Show coverage day 1

Pez

Show coverage day 1
« on: 4 Oct 2011, 03:58 am »
Open for business, let's get this show on the road! :thumb:

Tyson - A couple of observations right off the bat.  1st, the vendors seem to be getting better at having their room set up and sounding good on the first day.  Its been several years now that RMAF has been going, and they are clearly more at ease and better practiced at handling the challenges of a big show like this. 

Regarding my own posts, please remember that they are my OPINION, and are based on my preferences, and my impressions are based on a very short demo under less than ideal conditions.  However, I will try to be honest and not soft shoe anything.  If a room sounded great, I'll say so.  If it didn't, I'll say that too.  Please don't get your panties in a bunch if I didn't happen to cream myself over your favorite room/vendor. 
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2011, 05:39 am by Pez »

Pez

Re: Show coverage day 1
« Reply #1 on: 14 Oct 2011, 05:21 pm »
We're here!!!! Coffee then time for some RMAF action!!!!

Tyson - Hola, I'm posting all my stuff at the end of the day, rather than in "real time" like Pez did.  So, I'll just use red text and add comments to Pez's existing pics.

Tyson - The coffee is bad, but I'm so stoked about RMAF I just don't care.  Like a kid on christmas - I could hardly get to sleep last night :)

got my iPad 3G with my DSLR. This lets me take pics and upload it immediately. I will try to have somewhat constant stream of info all day!
This is the best I can get to live coverage so I hope you guys enjoy!!!!
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2011, 05:30 am by Pez »

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2011, 05:25 pm »
Please try to act like you are happy to be there!! :x

Pez

« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2011, 06:14 pm »
Captn humble and lonewolf are here.  :thumb:

Tyson - Before we even get started, who do we run across but these two rogues :)  I think the Cap & I started to bore Pez and lonewolf when we started talking about LDL subfractions.

« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2011, 05:32 am by Pez »

Pez

« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2011, 06:50 pm »
Serious audio Daedalus and galibier TTs.

Overall I liked the sound quality. Speakers were definitely to close to the wall. Sound was somewhat congested. Volume was pretty low, but what do you expect from 1/2 watt.

Tyson - Good tone, beautiful speakers (gorgeous woodwork), but were dynamically compressed.  I heard the same thing at Pez's house with his SET amps hooked up to the Ulysses.  These are efficient speakers, but they need more juice, IMO.
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2011, 05:43 am by Pez »

Don_S

« Reply #5 on: 14 Oct 2011, 06:52 pm »
Pez,

We need a better pic of Lonewolf's shirt.  Feel free to crop his head off to get a close up.  :lol:

Pez

« Reply #6 on: 14 Oct 2011, 07:04 pm »
Salk/AVA room

The soundscapes are gorgeous. Sound is a bit contested. Early show fits maybe. Room is not setup great for any seat other than the sweet spot which Tyson is hogging of course. 

Tyson - Good things first - the AVA gear looked NICE with their silver faceplates.  And of course the Salk speakers were friggin beautiful.  As for sound, the sweet spot didn't help much, Pez.  These were a bit hard, a bit sibilant, and a bit thin sounding.  I think it's gotta be that ceramic mid, since I've heard similar issues with every other speaker I've ever heard that used it.  Some people love it, to me it lacks warmth.
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2011, 05:49 am by Pez »

Mag

« Reply #7 on: 14 Oct 2011, 07:07 pm »
Wow, that's progress, we have the uploaded picture before the pixels have a chance to cool off! :hyper:

Sonny

« Reply #8 on: 14 Oct 2011, 07:08 pm »
wish i was there!

Pez

« Reply #9 on: 14 Oct 2011, 07:08 pm »
One more from Salk Ava room. System was not playing. 

Pez

« Reply #10 on: 14 Oct 2011, 07:13 pm »
Daedalus/bolder/modwright/first sound.

Sounds very nice in here. Speakers are properly distanced from the wall and the sound is much more easy than the previous Daedalus room. Tweeters on the Daedalus are a touch lacking in certain ways. Not very huge on detail etc, but not offensive.  Overall I love how natural it sounds, but then again many will think that I'm a bit biased as I usually like/love Daedalus setups. Not much to say other than this sounds very nice.

Tyson - The room this year sounded good, but not as good as it sounded on Saturday last year.  Tonally they sounded very nice.  In fact my notes are effusive about how nice they sound from a tonal standpoint.  After hours a couple of changes were made and they started to snap in to focus a bit more.  Will have to revisit this room on Sat or Sun.

TedB/Wayne1

Tyson - the ever-gracious Wayne!  In fact, both Wayne and Lou are great guys and awesomely fun to hang out with. 
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2011, 05:58 am by Pez »

Pez

« Reply #11 on: 14 Oct 2011, 07:32 pm »
Fritz/modwright/zesto

Freaking sweet. Every year fritz has one of the nicest sounding rooms. This year is no exception. Soundstage and imaging to die for. The carbons put out sound that is well beyond what a speaker this size should be able to do. I really LOVE the dynamics I'm hearing here. Visceral bass and well executed top to bottom integration of sound. Nothing sticks out as offensive or out of place just natural beautiful sound.  :thumb:

Tyson - Agreed completely - every single year Fritz brings his A-Game and this year was no exception.  Beautiful sounding speakers, great imaging, good dynamics, amazing bass quantity for their size, conveyed emotion like nobody's business, and just an overall damn fine sounding room.
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2011, 06:00 am by Pez »

Pez

« Reply #12 on: 14 Oct 2011, 07:48 pm »
Modwright/Daedalus

I love the look of the new athenas. They are very very nice sounding. Nice fat bottom end with definition and grace. In my chair they sound a bit meek in overall dynamics, but not weak. For big sound the Ulysses are definitely the power house choice, but the Athena's present a very beautiful and sweet sound. Great stuff.

Tyson - Is it sacrilege to say I like the Athenas better than the Ulysses?  I think I might....
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2011, 06:03 am by Pez »

TheChairGuy

« Reply #13 on: 14 Oct 2011, 07:55 pm »
Ohhh, you guys are good - wish I coulda' made it this year.

Busier than a one-armed paperhanger here, tho.

Those new silver fronts on the AVA gear looking nice :thumb: Definitely perks up the aesthetics.

Pez

« Reply #14 on: 14 Oct 2011, 07:58 pm »
Acoustic zen/Tri

Wow is all I can say. Absolutely stunning sound. So sweet and real it hurts. Sound stage that is the best I've heard yet. The Tri amps are gorgeous. room could use treatment. Vocals can sound a bit nasal and not really as full as it could sound with some sound treatment panels. Bass is not as tight as it could be, all that said. I am thoroughly enjoying what I am hearing.

Tyson - Damn, I thought the woodwork on the Daedalus and the Salk speakers was sexy, these are over the top!  Top 5 best sound for me last year.  Relatively disappointing for me this year.  Typical SET sound - loose bass, seductive mids, and pleasant highs.  One thing they did better than almost any other room - they sounded BIG, which I liked a lot. 
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2011, 06:06 am by Pez »

Pez

« Reply #15 on: 14 Oct 2011, 08:13 pm »
First sound/AMR/Daedalus.

Sounds is full and delicious. I really like the great job of setup. Sweet sound and no hint of congestion or yuck despite the lack of treatment this is one of the more balanced and controlled rooms we have been to. Emmanuel always does a great job with setup. The Athena's sound worlds different than the Modwright room. I would say my preference is more towards this rooms sound if I had to make a choice.

Tyson - It's official, I DO like the sound of the Athenas better....  :o  Especially using input #2.  Emmanuel will get the joke, even if you other plebs don't  :P
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2011, 06:09 am by Pez »

Pez

« Reply #16 on: 14 Oct 2011, 08:31 pm »
Yg acoustics/vitus

Like the sound especially since I usually don't care for solid state. Very sharp and defined with a great soundstage and strong imaging. Very natural sounding without sounding sterile. Another room where they pulled the speakers away from the wall with great results. I love the finish of the YG speakers. Absolutely stunning. Futuristic without looking ridiculous. For the size of the drivers they produce pretty damn good bass though I think some of the other rooms we've listened to are a little more impactful with bass. A touch shouty on certain material. Overall very nice.

Edit: Just changed seats, much better bass impact and not shouty. This is one of the problems of these kinds of venues. It's very difficult to assess the sound if you have a bad seat.   :?

Low expectations going into this room since I've never really liked the sound of YG Acoustic speakers in any of the previous shows.  Underwhelming (especially for the $$).  But this room really surprised me - non-sibilant, precise sound that made me want to listen more.  A bit thin on violin, but very focused.  Precise is the word showing up over and over again in my notes.
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2011, 06:14 am by Pez »

Pez

« Reply #17 on: 14 Oct 2011, 08:51 pm »
Lansche/ypsilone

Cool plasma tweeters!!! overall balance is a little tipped up though. Not my favorite room at the moment. I will say the fit and finish of the setup is pretty stellar. The midrange seems a touch overblown and at times this system is definitely SHOUTY and confused sounding. It may be the material :scratch: either way not really liking what I am hearing.  :(

Tyson - Plasma tweeters, glowing purple, very cool!!  Unfortunately playing violin, the highs drove me out of the room - ouch!
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2011, 06:15 am by Pez »

Pez

« Reply #18 on: 14 Oct 2011, 09:03 pm »
TAD room

All I can say is holy shit!!!! Dynamics and pop like you wouldn't believe!!!! Whatever track we walked in on had drums dynamics that made you feel like you were shot in the chest. Wow....

Now we're listening to Tyson's reference. Sweet violins and heart breaking emotion here. These speakers are the real deal. And the front end is pretty damned amazing as well. Don't think of these speakers as 'bookshelves' think of them as floorstanders on pillars and steroids. Bold sound great bass control, sweet midrange.

Very detailed sound in ani difrancos vocals. Yet not analytic at all. Can you tell that I really love this room? Pretty sure this is my favorite thus far. Very emotionally connecting presentation I don't feel like there's anything they are doing wrong honestly. Perhaps not as warm sounding as some of the Daedalus speakers, but certainly not sterile either.

Tool sounds very rockin!!!! No fear or anxiety with the huge dynamic shifts and great control overall. BUY THIS SYSTEM NOW!!!!!! Even out of the sweet spot some of the round the room effects are really circling my head. Amazing simply amazing.

Tyson - What more can I add?  Best sound at show on the first day, and not by a little.  In fact, thinking back on the last couple of RMAF's, this might be the best I've heard at any show, any year.  $37k?  I'm sure I could sell my spare kidney to someone....
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2011, 06:21 am by Pez »

jeffh

« Reply #19 on: 14 Oct 2011, 09:06 pm »
Thanks for the awesome coverage.  Keep it coming!